Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How much oil have you seen from cam cover gaskets?  (Read 1793 times)

x1xv45

Re: How much oil have you seen from cam cover gaskets?
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2011, 16:50:18 »

Two omegas back, when I bought it it had leaks from the back of the camcover, and at the crankcase breather - it had oil all down the back of the engine, and had burned on the exhaust shield till that was rotten - lucky the exhaust itself was ok. Oil was getting as far as the transmission. Everything was fine after a gasket and breathers job and a scrub-up with brake cleaner - probably dumb luck that an ebay gasket I used was still fine 2 years later when I sold it. I remember now - it leaked about a week after I fitted it with some rubbish goo from Halfords, but I redid it with the proper black stuff and then it was ok.

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 June 2011, 10:11:04 »

Mine is loosing (consuming) about 0.5 litres per 500 miles.
The mechanic changed the cam cover gasket 3 times but he managed to mess it up every single time.
So I'll need to do it myself eventually.
But where is the oil pressure switch located, cause this could also be worth checking?

Abiton

« Reply #17 on: 15 June 2011, 10:28:18 »

Mine is loosing (consuming) about 0.5 litres per 500 miles.
The mechanic changed the cam cover gasket 3 times but he managed to mess it up every single time.
So I'll need to do it myself eventually.
But where is the oil pressure switch located, cause this could also be worth checking?

On the 4-pots the oil pressure switch is at the rear of the oil filter housing.  Leak from there would be fairly obvious I think. 
Are you sure it's not just burning the oil, via (possibly) valve stemseal leakage?  Not necessarily obvious at the tailpipe as the cat will burn most of it into invisibility.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 June 2011, 11:08:02 »

On my last car the oil filled all 6 plug wells beyond the height of the plugs...was still running perfectly and pulled like a train...I probably should have got round to it a bit earlier though lol :y

Strange innit,mine was the opposite,missed like hell once the plug wells filled up
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 June 2011, 12:00:15 »

Abiten I had the headgasket changed 20 000 miles and the head was skimmed plus the valves changed so I guess this would rule out the valve steamsel leakage.
And the back of the engine has oil round the cam cover gasket halfmoons so here it is definitely leaking

VR4Dave

• Intermediate Member
  • Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 June 2011, 15:29:12 »

Cam cover gaskets is not a tough job it's just a case of taking your time and doing it right.
If you are losing that much oil through leaking there will be serious puddles wherever you park  :-[ :-[

VR4Dave

• Intermediate Member
  • Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 June 2011, 15:30:20 »

The oil in my 4 plug wells was right to top of plugs and car was running fine.  :o

henri

• Vendee France near La Sable D'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 June 2011, 17:53:15 »

On my last car the oil filled all 6 plug wells beyond the height of the plugs...was still running perfectly and pulled like a train...I probably should have got round to it a bit earlier though lol :y
just had mine changed  and yes oil was all down sides of engine and round back down to oil filter,all plug wells had oil in them,replaced with genuine vaux parts , keeping fingers crossed that its done the trick :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.