Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hot weather hot starting problem..  (Read 825 times)

cem_devecioglu

hot weather hot starting problem..
« on: 01 July 2011, 13:33:03 »

yep..

arrive job.. park the car.. go upstairs.. 50 minutes later someone calls as my car blocks them (usual).. ran down.. try to start the car, fuel comes very late.. if only I push the accelerator pedal  it starts :-?

and shakes the head .. I stop it.. and restart , back to normal.. when cold no problem.. it starts quickly.. even after 2-3 hours it starts without any problem..

tested with a new crank sensor .. no
tested with a new trial fuel pump .. no..
checked fuel line pressures, drops to 0.1 bar after 40 minutes..

seems like I have two problems

leaky injector(s) and carbon canister solenoid or CTS  as they are related :(

any opinions :-/

« Last Edit: 01 July 2011, 13:35:03 by cem_devecioglu »

cem_devecioglu

Re: hot weather hot starting problem..
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2011, 18:56:39 »

ok.. when fiddling with engine parts and sensors, (tried another maf, Coolant temp sensor etc..)

I assume for once, the engine can not breathe enough at start up.. but if I press the accelerator, I give enough air into system..so this solves the problem temporarily..

so I decided to pull off ICV air hose .. tested .. and it started immediately and stopped as the ecu cant see any airflow from maf.. so I disconnected maf.. started again.. bingo .. theory was correct.. tested several times.. and same result.. (took some time as you need to heat the engine and wait for some time to cool down)..

afterwards when looking at engine pictures I see fuel pressure regulator is connected to ICV.. hmm.. I need a new fpr but need to wait another 2 weeks for a new one >:(  but now I'm sure thats the reason.. :)

and while I wait for that, head gaskets will be changed as they leak.. friday I'll have the gasket set..
« Last Edit: 06 July 2011, 18:58:52 by cem_devecioglu »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2011, 19:37:29 »

ok.. when fiddling with engine parts and sensors, (tried another maf, Coolant temp sensor etc..)

I assume for once, the engine can not breathe enough at start up.. but if I press the accelerator, I give enough air into system..so this solves the problem temporarily..

so I decided to pull off ICV air hose .. tested .. and it started immediately and stopped as the ecu cant see any airflow from maf.. so I disconnected maf.. started again.. bingo .. theory was correct.. tested several times.. and same result.. (took some time as you need to heat the engine and wait for some time to cool down)..

afterwards when looking at engine pictures I see fuel pressure regulator is connected to ICV.. hmm.. I need a new fpr but need to wait another 2 weeks for a new one >:(  but now I'm sure thats the reason.. :)

and while I wait for that, head gaskets will be changed as they leak.. friday I'll have the gasket set..

That's interesting, as my car has sometimes started to do this. When hot I have to press the throttle slightly to make it start. From cold it starts first turn of the key with no throttle. I'm not sure of what you say has failed, idle air control valve or something else?

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2011, 19:38:51 »

That's interesting, as my car has sometimes started to do this. When hot I have to press the throttle slightly to make it start. From cold it starts first turn of the key with no throttle. I'm not sure of what you say has failed, idle air control valve or something else?

fuel pressure regulator..

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2011, 19:42:59 »

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it & see what happens.  :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2011, 19:46:24 »

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it & see what happens.  :y

if it helps you or someone else I'll be happy :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2011, 19:47:50 »

by the way , I also checked the valve in icv opening when cranking (it must open immediately).. but you will need 2 persons..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2011, 19:49:39 »

picture not mine..
« Last Edit: 06 July 2011, 19:50:34 by cem_devecioglu »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2011, 20:09:30 »

Thanks Cem.  :y I had the ICV off a few weeks ago to give it a clean, it moves freely, but have never looked at it when trying to start the car.  :-/

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2011, 01:38:31 »

I had a similar promblem years ago on a 960 Volvo, which was caused by a leaking non-return valve, which kept the fuel injection system pressurised when the engine was not running. The fuel pressure would drop and hence, I had to crank a hot engine over for about 30 seconds before it would restart and it would cough and splutter into life. It seemed to affect cold engine starting much less so, I never understood why as I would expect the fuel pressure to drop the same and the engine needing to be cranked over to get the fuel pressure up in both cases unless it was due to the ECU automatically making the cold engine's mixture richer or alternatively when the engine was hot the fuel may have been vapourising in the pipe, so it took time to clear, so the injectors were getting neat fuel?

I don't know the Omega fuel injection system, so this maybe a red-herring, but I hope it is of help?
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2011, 10:02:54 »

I had a similar promblem years ago on a 960 Volvo, which was caused by a leaking non-return valve, which kept the fuel injection system pressurised when the engine was not running. The fuel pressure would drop and hence, I had to crank a hot engine over for about 30 seconds before it would restart and it would cough and splutter into life. It seemed to affect cold engine starting much less so, I never understood why as I would expect the fuel pressure to drop the same and the engine needing to be cranked over to get the fuel pressure up in both cases unless it was due to the ECU automatically making the cold engine's mixture richer or alternatively when the engine was hot the fuel may have been vapourising in the pipe, so it took time to clear, so the injectors were getting neat fuel?

I don't know the Omega fuel injection system, so this maybe a red-herring, but I hope it is of help?

Interesting info.. Thanks Rods :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.