Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bores full of water  (Read 819 times)

Ewan

• Near Dundee
    • View Profile
bores full of water
« on: 20 August 2011, 12:12:05 »

Farther to previous post, I have taken off the drivers' side head gasket to find a lot of water in all three bores. The gasket is intact. As there was water swilling about inside the plenum, I can only asume that the water was somehow discharging  under pressure into the breather system and being distributed into all the intakes. I am at a loss as to where this could be coming from. I examined the gasket  between the rear water channel and the alloy breather box which is bolted on at the back, which had deteriorated, but the seal on the box looked sound. The HBV is only 2000 miles old. Is there any other explanation?

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: bores full of water
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2011, 12:29:41 »

The head could be warped.Have you tried a straight edge on it.

Ewan

• Near Dundee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2011, 12:31:53 »

Yes, and it's straight as a die.

Ewan

• Near Dundee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2011, 12:36:00 »

In any case, this came on quite suddenly, huge quantities of steam and the bore/bores so full of water, that it couldn't be cranked over.

Ewan

• Near Dundee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2011, 14:29:23 »

Having thought about this, the only possible cause must be a leak past the head gasket through the seal into the breather box at the back, ever though the seal looked ok., I can't verify that for certain as I threw away the bits, before they fell into the water channels. I didn't expect the problem would be there.

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2011, 23:47:37 »

Hi
Isn't there a water connection to the throttle body, cannot remember for sure without going to look, and its dark out there now.  If so perhaps water has been leaking from there into the inlet manifold.
Alan
Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2011, 01:26:21 »

Yes there a water feed to the throttle body, so it would be worth checking this for a water leak. It is only a small bore pipe so I can't see how it would have the capacity to fill all three bores, unless it is leaking under pressure, even then I would have thought the pressure would have dropped fairly quickly. I can't see how large amounts of water would enter after the pressure is released as the pipes are at the top of the engine, level with the header tank, so there would be no gravity feed.

I guessing here, that the water heating is for the same reason as many motorbikes, to stop icing of the throttle butterfly valves in cold weather?

This is a thought from when I stripped down my engine to do the head gaskets. Is is plain water or water / antifreeze mix in the bores? Are you stripping the engine down outside or under cover as we had very heavy rain on Thursday. I found out the hard way when the scuttle and the plugs are removed, rain water will enter through the plug holes into the cylinders and likewise when the heads are off, which is why I had to carefully cover the engine when I wasn't working on it with polythene to stop this.

It is of concern that you said the engine would not turnover due to water in the cylinders as a hydraulic lock like this normally bend conrods.  ::) :o :D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2011, 09:11:00 »

I can't imagine the headgasket would leak coolant into all 3 bores simultaneously :-/

If it is coolant it must therefore have come through either the vacuum pipework or through the heater passage on the throttle body.

If it is plain water it might be rainwater that has got in through the plug holes (if you left the plugs out overnight) or it might be the result of water getting into the air intake (driven through any standing water recently?)

The HBV usually discharges coolant on the outside of the engine and then works fine when it is tested. If you haven't found any credible source for the water in the bores & plenum then my money is on the HBV as the culprit.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Ewan

• Near Dundee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2011, 17:56:51 »

Many thanks for the replies. The car is under cover, so it's not rainwater. The HBV is ok and so is the throttle butterfly housing. Interesting comment about bent conrods though. Helps in my decision whether to continue or not. This has been a pig of a job, especially the crass positioning of the coolant transfer pipe at the back.

Ewan

• Near Dundee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2011, 18:07:38 »

I have also heard that running the engine with a blown head gasket can knacker the cats. How likely is this and has anyone had any experience of cat damage caused by a misfire?

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2011, 22:16:30 »

Ideally pressure test the cooling system...

...although now the head is off...  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.