Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: new custom stainless exhaust  (Read 2698 times)

bappy

• HAVANT, Hants
  • Don't fart on the leather upholstery!
    • View Profile
new custom stainless exhaust
« on: 24 April 2009, 17:13:32 »

Hi Guys,

My 'uncle' is a stainless steel artist. http://artwelddesigns.com He has kindly offered to make me an exhaust in exchange for maintaining his website.

now I know the manifolds on an x30xe are stainless, and the cats are in the downpipes so what I'm planning is to rebuild it from the downpipes back entirely in stainless.

I have some piccies that I made up wondering which exhaust design would be best for my engine. Black means stainless, grey means.... not stainless!

http://s515.photobucket.com/albums/t355/bappythegreat/exhaust%20system

I know very little about exhausts other than the current one is awful (some crap built by sabrepower - before I bought the car I must add)

I plan on removing the middle mufflers completely, and having my 'uncle' either make me a backbox by hand or by a cheap one/two (like you'd see on a saxo) from motorworld or halfrauds.

I personally think ideas 2 or 8 are best. but then I'm a retard and don't know what I'm doing.

Could someone who understands a little more about engines and exhausts tell me which option is best and why. Alternatively tell me to stop playing with my car and design it for me :D

once a design has been settled on I would also benefit from some information on pipe diameter/backbox diameter/outlet port diameter.

cheers! :y
« Last Edit: 24 April 2009, 17:14:10 by bappy »
If at first you dont succeed, Rev it harder!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: new custom stainless exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2009, 17:20:55 »

Dont fancy a twin system all the way back to the rear bumber then ? (one either side).

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2009, 17:21:50 »

the 3.0 has absolutly no standard stainless steel exhaust parts

manifolds are standard shitty ones!

the omega seems to run very poorly with missing exhaust components speaking from first experiance

miniator

• Intermediate Member
  • Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2009, 17:27:21 »

my 3.0 responded very well to have a remus backbox and the 2 middle boxes removed. gained just over 25bhp i think.
cat removal actually loses power from other reports and as mentioned the manifolds are crap!

so....i would recommend you make some new manifold that provide power increases
Omega Wanted: Facelift, 3.0/3.2, Elite/MV6, Charcoal Interior, W.H.Y.

bappy

• HAVANT, Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2009, 17:31:00 »

dont want pipes down either side as navigating the fuel tank would be just plain silly.

I had heard that manifolds where stainless.... they certainly look stainless! very shiny silver they are... (Am I right in calling the bit that puts 3 pipes into 1 the manifolds?)

If I need to make new manifolds any advice on design of those? I'm guessing I can get from behind the downpipes back done soon and turn attention to manifolds at a later date if they start to corrode???

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2009, 17:31:42 »

my 3.0 responded very well to have a remus backbox and the 2 middle boxes removed. gained just over 25bhp i think.
cat removal actually loses power from other reports and as mentioned the manifolds are crap!

so....i would recommend you make some new manifold that provide power increases

Seem to remember I heard some guy on Autostormers was doing Manifold re design?, how did that work out?.

miniator

• Intermediate Member
  • Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2009, 18:01:42 »

id love to know how it went too!
Omega Wanted: Facelift, 3.0/3.2, Elite/MV6, Charcoal Interior, W.H.Y.

3.0V6Elite

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2009, 19:23:06 »

dont want pipes down either side as navigating the fuel tank would be just plain silly.

I had heard that manifolds where stainless.... they certainly look stainless! very shiny silver they are... (Am I right in calling the bit that puts 3 pipes into 1 the manifolds?)

If I need to make new manifolds any advice on design of those? I'm guessing I can get from behind the downpipes back done soon and turn attention to manifolds at a later date if they start to corrode???
Are you sure that it's the manifold that you are looking at and not the heat shields that cover the manifolds?

M0T0RVATE

• Intermediate Member
  • Orpington
    • 94 Omega Elite Saloon 3L
    • View Profile
    • MOTORVATE STUDIO
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2009, 20:20:08 »

Are you sure that it's the manifold that you are looking at and not the heat shields that cover the manifolds?

Any pictures of your manifolds  ??

:question :

steverubberduck

• Kidderminster
  • MV6 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2009, 19:31:16 »

I'm sort-of going down the idea 1 road, but i am going to have a backbox on both corners.
A friend of mine has offered to make me a system, hopefully in time for the pvs, but that's the way i'm going.
2 backboxes, center sections removed.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2009, 22:25:46 »

I would keep the two banks separate until the back box rather than having a "balance pipe"crossing over. The firing order of the V6 makes it advantageous to keep the secondary pipes separate.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2009, 09:19:30 »

The stainless you refer to by the engine manifold is undoubtedly the heat shield, not the manifold itself which is cast into a plenum chamber rather than a 3 pipes into one set up that you might imagine. This has been a topic of some debate on oof as to how it affects performance and how an alternative design might tune the power curve.

With this in mind and the fact that the cats have oxygen sensors and wiring which will need terminating in a way that the ecu will understand to avoid error codes and a permanently lit dash light, i would consider sticking to a cat back system?

Boring and unadventurous as it may sound, its a safer bet imho. You can always go back when further solutions become clear, esp re manifolds, and join the system in the usual place.

As Kevin says i would be reluctant to alter the original design too much re boxs and routing without knowledge of shock wave scavenging,flow rates, and how annoyingly loud it will be on the motorway at constant revs. Although its nice to have v6 grumble when you boot it, that same roar is a right pain at cruising speeds. Some manufacturers use an exhaust valve to controle this noise to give the best of both worlds but this will require ecu input that the omega does not have.(i wonder if multi ram inputs could used for this?... The front one perhaps... No probably not )

You may also want to consider the rear end  esp. the irmscher style twin pipe design which exits either side of the number plate, seen some pics of that box on here somewhere. Or simply a twin pipe exit on a single box as the elites.

bappy

• HAVANT, Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2009, 13:47:33 »

cheers for comments guys.

I don't care about the noise, I just want more power.

I was thinking that idea 8 would provide best performance but comments here are making me think that idea 3 would be best??? I'm assuming that joining the 2 pipes together at some point in the system is advantageous otherwise it will be a case of idea 1.

re manifolds, you are probably right. it's probably the heat sheilds I'm looking at. I was looking up online ages ago about it and apparently some guy dropped an x30xe into a manta and supercharged it. he said he used the manifolds of the omega as they were decent stainless ones. perhaps the donor vehicle had a custom exhaust on it from the previous owner.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2009, 16:59:14 »

I was thinking that idea 8 would provide best performance but comments here are making me think that idea 3 would be best??? I'm assuming that joining the 2 pipes together at some point in the system is advantageous otherwise it will be a case of idea 1.

Balance pipes have their advantages, mainly on square-plane V8 engines, to maintain scavenging from the exhaust ports with the odd firing order but only when their position is precisely calculated with respect to the speed of the pressure pulses travelling down the system and, even then, it's probably only effective on engines that are in a fairly high state of tune.

I would say that without modelling what's going on in terms of pressure pulses in the system you are more likely to do harm than good. A pipe without junctions will be less restrictive anyway so my inkling would be to go with something like idea 1 and keep it simple.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2009, 17:29:30 »

theres a member on the forum who has had a nice stainless steel exhaust system done for his 3.2 its the same as standard i believe but just s/s (catback system)

i would just go cat back and remove the centre silencers and use a Y piece to enter the backbox keeping it similar to the standard setup!
« Last Edit: 27 April 2009, 17:29:59 by tmx »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.