Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: suspect head gasket?  (Read 1839 times)

s7eve v6 24v

• NEWMARKET
    • View Profile
suspect head gasket?
« on: 08 September 2011, 20:57:03 »

driving along last week and had check coolant level come up.topped it up,now it has come back on tonight after 50 miles,so topped it up and it took a litre of water. just took off oil filler cap and guess what?
yes,white gunk all over it!!
would this be defo head gasket?
any info would be good ie:is it gasket?how much would it cost to get sorted at a garage?
if to much ill be selling car as a whole or taking apart to sell
THE TITANIC

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: suspect head gasket?
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2011, 21:20:58 »

Unlikely ;)

Mayo on oil cap more likely nasty oil & short journeys.

Coolant leak is likely elsewhere.
Grumpy old man

s7eve v6 24v

• NEWMARKET
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2011, 21:42:42 »

in them 50 miles i have done 40 were in one hit and the others are to and from work which is a mile each way,the oil still looks like new as it had new oil 2 months ago.
cant see a leak anywhere though,thats why i thought head gasket. the car as been well maintained by previous owner and its stamped up and only done 67k.
just cant be bothered with this no more so think ill put it up for sale. i reckon £650
THE TITANIC

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2011, 21:49:29 »

in them 50 miles i have done 40 were in one hit and the others are to and from work which is a mile each way,the oil still looks like new as it had new oil 2 months ago.
cant see a leak anywhere though,thats why i thought head gasket. the car as been well maintained by previous owner and its stamped up and only done 67k.
just cant be bothered with this no more so think ill put it up for sale. i reckon £650
The 1m journeys will soon mayo up the cap, esp if its poor oil, such as Castrol etc.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2011, 21:50:16 »

You checked the most usual culprit of water loss? Heater By-pass Valve at the back of the driver's side of the engine Star Ship Enterprise-ish shape.

PS Not enough posts to sell yet  ;) ;) ;)

s7eve v6 24v

• NEWMARKET
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2011, 21:58:27 »

cant see any leaks mate,i havent put it up for sale,i was just saying i have had enough of it and would reckon i would get that for it.
cant really see much under the bonnet so ill have a look in the morning in better light
THE TITANIC

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2011, 22:03:49 »

cant see any leaks mate,i havent put it up for sale,i was just saying i have had enough of it and would reckon i would get that for it.
cant really see much under the bonnet so ill have a look in the morning in better light

Operate your heater settings, a/c on & off and look for leaks on the floor towards the back of the engine - driver's side to check the HBV :y :y

s7eve v6 24v

• NEWMARKET
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2011, 16:44:53 »

Operate your heater settings, a/c on & off and look for leaks on the floor towards the back of the engine - driver's side to check the HBV :y :y

thanks andy b. found the culprit,that bloody hbv like you suggested. thanks for the help  :y :y :y :y :y :y
THE TITANIC

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2011, 16:59:27 »

thanks andy b. found the culprit,that bloody hbv like you suggested. thanks for the help  :y :y :y :y :y :y

Wahey! New HBV a lot cheaper & easier to replace than a head gasket  :y :y :y

s7eve v6 24v

• NEWMARKET
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2011, 17:34:02 »

just been quoted £108 all in which includes genuine hbv,antifreeze,labour and vat, doesn't seem to bad!
but how easy is this job to do?  seen the thread about this and it seems to be straight forward but that doesn't always go to plan....
any advice would be great   :y :y
« Last Edit: 09 September 2011, 17:35:34 by SHIPPY666 »
THE TITANIC

Osprey

• Redhill, Surrey
  • Drink up. The world's about to end.
    • 01 2.6 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2011, 18:11:46 »

Dead easy.  Well, a bit fiddly because of difficult access behind the engine but still more fiddly than difficult.  The part cost me £34.22 (TC) from my dealer a few months ago. Job took about an hour, plus a few quid in the swear box. 

There is a maintenance guide - check the index post in the maintenance guide section on here and it will lead you straight there.  The job basically involves taking off three coolant hoses held on by spring clips (and a push fit vacuum pipe) then putting them back on the new part.  If it was out in the open it would take you five minutes. 

Worth getting a pair of hose clip pliers because they grip the clip even in awkward locations (Halfrauds, Google).  And don't be afraid to give the whole thing a good tug to get it out of its hiding place. 

:y

I feel like a military academy. Bits of me keep passing out.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2011, 18:31:32 »

If you take off the scuttle it's dead easy and should only take 20mins from start to finish including replacing the coolant :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2011, 19:36:10 »

just been quoted £108 all in which includes genuine hbv,antifreeze,labour and vat, doesn't seem to bad!
but how easy is this job to do?  seen the thread about this and it seems to be straight forward but that doesn't always go to plan....

As the others have said, easy to do, just awkward due to access.
Wiper arms off, scuttle out & the HBV is (almost) accessible. Don't pay someone £70odd labour for something that'll take you an hour or so to do. Coolant loss is minimal.  :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2011, 06:46:29 »

:o

If I was over at my Mum's (Fordham), I'd do it for you for the cost of the part (around £30).  Thats a high quote imho
Grumpy old man

s7eve v6 24v

• NEWMARKET
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2011, 07:42:04 »

going to replace it myself in a couple of weeks  :y
THE TITANIC
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.