Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: aerial adaptor for NCDC2013  (Read 4098 times)

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
aerial adaptor for NCDC2013
« on: 22 March 2007, 08:22:06 »

Hi folks,

I'm trying to fit my harman kardon drive & play to the new omega, the problem is that the FM modulator uses ISO connections not DIN. It does come with adaptors, however these are of no use as they do not clip into the cage - so when you push the radio home it would not make a connection. Plugging the aerial in place and then fitting the cage isn't possible either as the main loom to the radio isn't long enough.

There appears to be a Vx part number 90349287 - which looks suitable as it's a flylead. Has anyone used such a thing, and more to the point does it clip into the cage like the normal aerial cable does ... or does anyone know of an equivalent adaptor or a better solution?

Thanks  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: aerial adaptor for NCDC2013
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2007, 09:12:33 »

I recall someone saying that there was a second connector through which the antenna cable passes in the driver's kick panel. Mayeb this would be an alternative place to make the connection?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2007, 22:05:03 »

Kev - yeah, thanks - you're right that there is a connector there, X59 - however from the illustrations I've seen that's a combined radio and GPS aerial connection. Whilst it might be possible to cut into the cable there, the FM modulator (and ipod interface controller) will be mounted behind the glovebox so the connection wouldn't be in the right place.

However ...

... I popped to Halfrauds, they have the autoleads equivalent of the Vx aerial adaptor. Vx one is just shy of £20 - and there's no guarantee that it would lock into place or be undersized. Autoleads adaptor IS undersized, but was £4 ... (part number PC5-28-H, Halfrauds item code 257303)

have tried fitting the head unit in the cage, then plugging the connector into the radio and then gluing it in situ to the cage. But upon further inspection it appears that there is room between the cage and back of the radio ... so ... out with the drill ...

... which should hopefully do the trick  :y

« Last Edit: 22 March 2007, 22:36:38 by sounds2k »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2007, 22:25:35 »

Hi folks,

I'm trying to fit my harman kardon drive & play to the new omega, the problem is that the FM modulator uses ISO connections not DIN. It does come with adaptors, however these are of no use as they do not clip into the cage - so when you push the radio home it would not make a connection. Plugging the aerial in place and then fitting the cage isn't possible either as the main loom to the radio isn't long enough.

There appears to be a Vx part number 90349287 - which looks suitable as it's a flylead. Has anyone used such a thing, and more to the point does it clip into the cage like the normal aerial cable does ... or does anyone know of an equivalent adaptor or a better solution?

Thanks  :y
Whats wrong with the wireless or cassettes?
Grumpy old man

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2007, 22:30:58 »

wireless (well the griffin itrip) - not enough tx power to get decent signal on the radio
cassettes - the NCDC2013 doesn't have a hole for one  ;D

plus those two options don't allow you to charge the ipod in the glovebox, out of sight, and give you a seperate display and controller ...

here's a pic of one installed in a LHD car, for those who haven't seen the drive+play ... excellent bit of kit IMHO, especially when it can be had off fleabay for under £60 all in ...

« Last Edit: 22 March 2007, 22:35:04 by sounds2k »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2007, 10:02:44 »

I have a Belkin wireless wotsit which works great with my mp3 (not iPod) sat by the handbrake of my Omega but is sh1te in my Astra.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2007, 10:31:39 »

wireless (well the griffin itrip) - not enough tx power to get decent signal on the radio
cassettes - the NCDC2013 doesn't have a hole for one  ;D

plus those two options don't allow you to charge the ipod in the glovebox, out of sight, and give you a seperate display and controller ...

here's a pic of one installed in a LHD car, for those who haven't seen the drive+play ... excellent bit of kit IMHO, especially when it can be had off fleabay for under £60 all in ...

I was referring to listening to the radio, not wireless fm modulators ;). You know, Radio 4 ;)
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2007, 10:37:48 »

....Whats wrong with the wireless or cassettes? ......
I was referring to listening to the radio, not wireless fm modulators ;). You know, Radio 4 ;)
Even I'm not that old!! .....  ;D I'm only as far as Radio 2.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2007, 10:49:20 »

Occasionally I flick on Radio 4 if I don't want to listen to music, or talk to Mrs TheBoy.

But I am a Radio 2 man. I remember the shocking day when I realised I had turned into Radio 2 man :(
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2007, 08:44:54 »

Occasionally I flick on Radio 4 if I don't want to listen to music, or talk to Mrs TheBoy.

But I am a Radio 2 man. I remember the shocking day when I realised I had turned into Radio 2 man :(

My radio only plays SAGA ::)
I like red cars

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2007, 13:07:58 »

fiited and working fine ... job's a good 'un  :)

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2007, 22:59:15 »

on the recommendations of Sounds2K i use the H/K drive and play, it really is the mutts danglies and excellent value on fleabay.

Easy to fit, with the usual ipod interface and the security of having the ipod tucked in the armrest.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2007, 23:08:11 »

yep, they guy buying my gold miggy is even paying extra to keep the one that's been installed in there - it's very good, charges the ipod too. There are only two minor niggles with it:

1) no ability to link it to the mute line on a phone car kit, so the music keeps playing during call even if the radio itself is muted
2) it doesn't seem possible to shuffle the playlist with the ipod connected, unconnect it and you can though

otherwise it's excellent - good enough for me to buy another!

Although I did cop out and actually pay for that to be installed when I bought it ... but I'm fitting the new one myself ... you can also make a hole in the back of the glovebox and put the ipod in there - lock it away for security - it's what the dealer did on mine  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.