Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rad fan problem  (Read 1500 times)

raximax

• Intermediate Member
  • dundee
    • View Profile
rad fan problem
« on: 26 November 2007, 15:34:45 »

yes still trying to solve this... :-/ :-/ :-/ yesterday i changed all my aircon relays with no joy. so im thinking some kind of heat sensor or thermostat is stuck telling the fan to run? any ideas. for those who have not read my old post in general help when ever i turn the car on one of the fans on the outside of the rad runs all the time. i was changing my cd to a sony last week and got a flat batery. i know i should have left it running.
mmeeggaa

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
Re: rad fan problem
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2007, 21:22:12 »

My brother had this on his a few years ago now, seem to recall that one of the large fuses next to the battery had blown thus putting the fan on perm as a saftey thing ::)
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2007, 21:27:06 »

Just spoke to him and it WAS a fuse in the triangle box that had blown. :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2007, 23:40:37 »

If it only comes on with the ignition then I'd say it's quite possible it's a fan switch on the radiator. The relay coils are powered by the ignition feed and the fans are fed through the relay contacts from a permanent feed, so stuck relay means the fan runs all the time, stuck switch will only do it when ignition on.

I'd try disconnecting the fan switch on the radiator and see if it stops the fan. If so, replace the switch.

There are other switches on the air con system but I think they'll only cause an issue with the air con running, although I'll double check.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

raximax

• Intermediate Member
  • dundee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2007, 00:21:26 »

ok thanks for the replys guys.. i have checked the fuses before but i will check again you never know as for the switch on the fan is it simple to find and would unpluging not put it off anyway so how will i know if it is . but i think it is some thing like that.cheers :y
i will let you know tomorow how i got on....
mmeeggaa

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2007, 09:50:58 »

I think the switch is below the top radiator hose on the passenger side of the radiator.

If the engine is cold, and the fan is running, unplugging the switch proves that the contacts in the switch are closed thus eliminating other causes (short in the wiring, etc). Switch contacts should only close when coolant temperature reaches 95 C or so..

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

raximax

• Intermediate Member
  • dundee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2007, 15:41:03 »

:'( ok i have checked the fuses and all ok, i unpluged the clip at top passenger side under hose and it still runs i unpluged some other wires when i was there with no luck.  it is only the drivers side fan that runs i bet it is something daft. you see when i bought the car the aircon was not blowing cold so i did the hbv then the car started to overheat so i was snooping around and found that a fuse was out in the relay box when i replaced the fan came on and now wont go off. i flushed the system and the car runs at about 90 or just over.oh the aircon still aint working but its freezing out side now so dont need it. :-/ :-/ :-/
oh when i did the hbv i put the hoses on the wrong way.
mmeeggaa
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.011 seconds with 17 queries.