Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: headlight wiring for hid's  (Read 2487 times)

hol666

• Lechlade, Gloucestershire
    • View Profile
headlight wiring for hid's
« on: 27 July 2008, 15:59:01 »

Hi all, as some of you may have read in another post http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1215456180/0
I now have the wiring from the 98 model the lights came from.  The plugs that fit into the ballast box have yellow and brown wires and what I need to know is how I wire this into my 95 lights?  I'm assuming that I can just take the feed from the original loom and slice into it but, as always, a little help is requested  :)  thanks in advance, Mark :y
« Last Edit: 27 July 2008, 15:59:22 by hol666 »

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
Re: headlight wiring for hid's
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2008, 16:30:29 »

just connect the yellow to the existing wire which is also yellow  in main plug on light and the brown to an earth matey !!  :y

hol666

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2008, 19:34:35 »

as simple as that eh Mark?   I remember from the original post you said the same thing, plus to change over the adjusters, thanks mate and consider myself slapped for not remembering what you originally said cheers  ;D :y

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2008, 20:40:41 »

as simple as that eh Mark?   I remember from the original post you said the same thing, plus to change over the adjusters, thanks mate and consider myself slapped for not remembering what you originally said cheers  ;D :y

no worries pal  ;D ;D

oredona

• chatham, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2008, 17:20:45 »

hi
i have similar question, i have an Elite 97 model and when i checked the headlight plugs, there are only 3 plugs but the head lights i got fro i think a T reg have 4 sockets.... so where do i connect the last plug to.

thanks

psychnurse

• Omega Baron
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
  • Whats in the fridge today? Beer and Sausages....UM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2008, 17:25:27 »

hi
i have similar question, i have an Elite 97 model and when i checked the headlight plugs, there are only 3 plugs but the head lights i got fro i think a T reg have 4 sockets.... so where do i connect the last plug to.

thanks

Mine is a 96 and had 4. But I only needed 3???

Would be interested to see any replies to this too... for my own curiosity.  :y

hol666

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2008, 19:39:06 »

:-[ >:( right, due to the poxy weather, I've still to do this, another quick question if I may?

What is the best way to connect the wiring together?  Chock blocks, scotch block or bullet connectors :-? or is there another, better way?

Please note, I am rubbish with a soldering iron and am more likely to end up with multiple iron burns and molten solder on me!  :-[ :y

edit,  another thing, would it be best to actually cut the yellow wire on the loom and leave it disconnected to the main headlight plug or to 't' into it?  

sorry to ask so many questions, just want to make sure I do this once and right!  ;)
« Last Edit: 14 August 2008, 19:43:19 by hol666 »

hol666

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2008, 20:38:38 »

Anyone?  Surely someone knows the proper way to connect wires? ;) :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2008, 21:02:09 »

The proper way is solder and heatshrink!

hol666

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2008, 19:33:52 »

thanks Mark, guess I'll have to do it that way then!  Time to brush up my soldering skills :o   :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2008, 15:39:01 »

Have you fitted projectors yet?

hol666

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2008, 18:47:37 »

Not yet mate, ever since I got them, the weather here has been against me!  >:(  Since I'm playing with electrics, I'm waiting for some dry weather since I have no cover to work under but as soon as I'm done I'll post it up, might even attempt a 'how to' if I'm feeling brave?  :D
« Last Edit: 19 August 2008, 18:47:59 by hol666 »

sev

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2008, 20:29:22 »

The accepted norm nowdays is not to solder unless you're absolutely spot on about your soldering. Also the connection has been proved to be better with dry crimps and now even milspec stuff has gone that way.

The problem with solder is that it can cause the wiring to act as a scrifical annode if you're not carefull or get a dry joint.

Take a look at these people:

http://www.thewiringproject.co.uk/search.asp?types=yes&type=Auto+%26+Marine+Electrical+%3E+Connectors+''Superseal''

The link will take you to the superseal connectors for marine use, alternatively they also do bosch connectors.  However the superseal connectors are good as they hermetically seal the connection itself.  If your engine bay was full of these, you could jet wash the bugger clean at leisure!
1995 2.5 V6 CDX Saloon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2008, 20:32:32 »

The accepted norm nowdays is not to solder unless you're absolutely spot on about your soldering. Also the connection has been proved to be better with dry crimps and now even milspec stuff has gone that way.

The problem with solder is that it can cause the wiring to act as a scrifical annode if you're not carefull or get a dry joint.

Take a look at these people:

http://www.thewiringproject.co.uk/search.asp?types=yes&type=Auto+%26+Marine+Electrical+%3E+Connectors+''Superseal''

The link will take you to the superseal connectors for marine use, alternatively they also do bosch connectors.  However the superseal connectors are good as they hermetically seal the connection itself.  If your engine bay was full of these, you could jet wash the bugger clean at leisure!

Crimps work well only if you have the correct crimp tools and dies......use the cheap tools and you dont get gas tight joints, you stress and damage the wires and have much bigger problems.

remember also that the crimps are solder coated (tinned) so can be exposed to the same issues as a solder joint.......

« Last Edit: 19 August 2008, 20:33:23 by Mark »

sev

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2008, 20:36:31 »

you're right of course, but as we know proper crimp tools don't come cheap.  Failing that... practice soldering I suppose  :'(

I did a wiring install on a racebike with these connectors and they were great, a lot less fiddly than when I did a milspec loom.
1995 2.5 V6 CDX Saloon
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.