Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ccr 2006  (Read 4355 times)

marriedwithchildren

• View Profile
ccr 2006
« on: 03 September 2008, 11:04:19 »

Hi

Can anyone give a definite answers as to what I can replace my CCr 2006 radio with in terms of better quality and it being a straight forward change?

I'm looking for a better sound (maybe louder too) but it would seem that I'm really limited as to what can be done.

I don't want to pay more than £250

Thanks very much.

Also can you replace with an aftermarket double dinn dvd player type unit and if so does it screw up the current information display?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: ccr 2006
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2008, 12:10:59 »

any replacement head unit will need adaptors to talk to the steering wheel controls and display.

Due to the lack of decent double din units, and cost of them.

I put a single DIN Alpline unit in, with steering wheel adaptor.... Much better sound as the Vx headunits are weak.

marriedwithchildren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2008, 14:03:02 »

OK  when you did that did your display still  work or did the radio inforamtion just not get listed anymore?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2008, 15:10:16 »

OK  when you did that did your display still  work or did the radio inforamtion just not get listed anymore?

You loose the radio section, check controls till works, mpg, range, stop watch and so on, but no radio station displayed.

I always ment to get the display working again, but costs about £70 for the adaptor  :o

So i never bothered, I don't miss it... i am only ever on 2 stations and the music is totally different, either that or i have the iPod on, so its not needed.

marriedwithchildren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2008, 15:28:30 »

Thanks

Do you jsut have a blanking plate and the display in through the alpine now?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2008, 15:56:54 »

Thanks

Single DIN comes with screen anyway so use that my advice get one with a small screen, or little text.

Mine has a black background with white text but still lights up the car at night, i find it 'pop' it so that the front LCD hangs down to let you insert a CD. That way less light...

Get a Double DIN to single DIN convertor thingy, leaves a tray underneath the radio. I drilled a hole in the back and pushed though a standard AUX 3.5mm connector for my iPod.

Display remains, but lower part of the display is blank. You can fool the MID into thinking its off but cutting the power supply radio feed (makes it thinks radio is off) this will always show the date.

Something to fill the mid i guess, but again i never bothered.

I have this in mine... its looks slightly browner in real life, i find it fits in well, considering:

« Last Edit: 03 September 2008, 15:58:01 by tunnie »

oceansoul

• Intermediate Member
  • Sunbury on Thames - Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2008, 16:50:08 »

i am practiclly fitting that exact same head unit in my car today or tomoz! actually its a 9852rb but looks the same as that :P

How diffucult was it to get the alpine loom and the steering wheel adaptor in behind the dash? i hear there isnt much room

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2008, 17:24:24 »

i am practiclly fitting that exact same head unit in my car today or tomoz! actually its a 9852rb but looks the same as that :P

How diffucult was it to get the alpine loom and the steering wheel adaptor in behind the dash? i hear there isnt much room

Not with double din units, with single DIN its ok.

Can't exactly swing a cat in there but fair bit of room.

The connector for the steering wheel controls is not great, it can easily come off so be careful pushing it back.

It also depends if you remove the metal cage or not, because the ariel connection is 'fixed' to the back metal part, so to save space just pull the metal cage forward a tad, then pull the ariel connection of it. should give you more room as it allows you to manually route the cable. Also allows you to pull it out further so you can connect it all up with the headunit resting on the gear stick  :)
« Last Edit: 03 September 2008, 17:26:35 by tunnie »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2008, 19:47:38 »

Thanks

Single DIN comes with screen anyway so use that my advice get one with a small screen, or little text.

Mine has a black background with white text but still lights up the car at night, i find it 'pop' it so that the front LCD hangs down to let you insert a CD. That way less light...

Get a Double DIN to single DIN convertor thingy, leaves a tray underneath the radio. I drilled a hole in the back and pushed though a standard AUX 3.5mm connector for my iPod.

Display remains, but lower part of the display is blank. You can fool the MID into thinking its off but cutting the power supply radio feed (makes it thinks radio is off) this will always show the date.

Something to fill the mid i guess, but again i never bothered.

I have this in mine... its looks slightly browner in real life, i find it fits in well, considering:

Having seen that Alpine, it doesn't look (quite) as chavvy in real life.  Tunnie has also added a vibe sub in boot, but this is too much base for my old-man tastes...
Grumpy old man

oceansoul

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2008, 16:42:52 »

Well im off to install mine in a few mins (after i drunk the tea) so ill take some pics to upload :)

Ok so i just installed it now. There was ABSOLOUTLY no way i was going to be able to get the AI net connection to the ipod connection box down the back of the dash as there was no opening to the passenger foot well. but i got everything else in alright and it keeps the use of the steering wheel control's :)

« Last Edit: 04 September 2008, 18:19:42 by oceansoul »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2008, 20:15:57 »

looks good, same as mine!  :D

Its a shame their "orange" setting is not very orange, when i saw the specs i was hoping it would match the MID and climate orange colour.

At night however, pop the tray thing to insert a CD, and that orange light to eject the CD blends in well at night!

For a bit more bass try an Active Sub (speaker & amp in one) i bought a Vibe CBR10 Active, lifts the bass nicely. I left the standard speakers, sound great with a better headunit.

marriedwithchildren

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2008, 20:23:57 »

Apart from this Alpine   unit  what others are easy to put in?  Anyone put in a double dinn dvd player type or is it waste of time?

Has the sound quality dramaticly improved?

Thanks

oceansoul

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2008, 12:23:51 »

Its a shame their "orange" setting is not very orange, when i saw the specs i was hoping it would match the MID and climate orange colour.

At night however, pop the tray thing to insert a CD, and that orange light to eject the CD blends in well at night!

For a bit more bass try an Active Sub (speaker & amp in one) i bought a Vibe CBR10 Active, lifts the bass nicely. I left the standard speakers, sound great with a better headunit.

Yes im thinking the exact same thing and my m8 has one too :) just one thing, how the f**k did u get any RCA's outta the back of the Head unit area, i could find no way for my AI net cable to get into the footwells?

Pretty much any head unit will fit in, they all have the same fittings. As for double din you might struggle to fit all the cables and adaptors in the back there. The sound quality is 10 times better than the standrd head unit.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2008, 15:36:53 »

Yes im thinking the exact same thing and my m8 has one too :) just one thing, how the f**k did u get any RCA's outta the back of the Head unit area, i could find no way for my AI net cable to get into the footwells?

Pretty much any head unit will fit in, they all have the same fittings. As for double din you might struggle to fit all the cables and adaptors in the back there. The sound quality is 10 times better than the standrd head unit.

Now your asking, its couple of years now since i fitted it.

From what i remember, you could buy the expensive Alpine iPod lead, which has the standard dock connector. This does have the ability to show and control the iPod from the headunit and steering wheel controls. But being a student at the time, could not be bothered!

So i just fitted a standard RCA to 3.5mm jack connector. Think there are RCA outputs on the back of the headunit, just take a lead from there, and double back, drill a hole in the under tray thing, and poke it through.

I tied a not in the cable to stop it slipping back through.

Works well  :y

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2008, 15:44:08 »

Apart from this Alpine   unit  what others are easy to put in?  Anyone put in a double dinn dvd player type or is it waste of time?

Has the sound quality dramaticly improved?

Thanks

I have put a kenwood DNX5220 in my omega, cracking piece of kit, does everything, sat nav, bluetooth, ipod, dvd, with dual zone control, reverse camera support and tv support....

wasn't cheap though, but was easy to fit and looks the business
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.