Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: GID query...  (Read 2241 times)

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
GID query...
« on: 26 October 2008, 00:05:03 »

Reading this guide (http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1153215782) it says...

GID for CCRT support - Fitted to all the cars with CCRT radio sets, supports all the functions of the MID in a half height dot matrix display with some dedicated symbols to allow text etc from the phone function to be displayed, only fitted to mini facelift onwards and is coded to the radio unit via tech 2. Has a single grey connector

GID for Nav support - Facelift onwards only, a varient of the above with pretty much the same functions but, not interchangeable. Is a full dot matrix display to support pictgram nav functiosn etc. Has a single grey connector.

Now, is it not interchangeable due to the radio's, or just in general as a whole?? So say I jibbed off the current CCRT stereo, could I use the newer GID still just to display the various info's? (consumption, etc) or is that also not possible??

Also, when the CCRT is not hooked up, how can I go about setting the clock on the current GID?  As the 2 buttons at the top do bugger all when the radio is removed, and I know its updated via RDS when the radio is in place...

Cheers

Paul
« Last Edit: 26 October 2008, 00:06:51 by PaulW »
Humbugs...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: GID query...
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2008, 10:09:30 »

Reading this guide (http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1153215782) it says...

GID for CCRT support - Fitted to all the cars with CCRT radio sets, supports all the functions of the MID in a half height dot matrix display with some dedicated symbols to allow text etc from the phone function to be displayed, only fitted to mini facelift onwards and is coded to the radio unit via tech 2. Has a single grey connector

GID for Nav support - Facelift onwards only, a varient of the above with pretty much the same functions but, not interchangeable. Is a full dot matrix display to support pictgram nav functiosn etc. Has a single grey connector.

Now, is it not interchangeable due to the radio's, or just in general as a whole?? So say I jibbed off the current CCRT stereo, could I use the newer GID still just to display the various info's? (consumption, etc) or is that also not possible??

Also, when the CCRT is not hooked up, how can I go about setting the clock on the current GID?  As the 2 buttons at the top do bugger all when the radio is removed, and I know its updated via RDS when the radio is in place...

Cheers

Paul
For this discussion CCRT display I'll class as a MID, as functionally identical.

MIDs/GIDs/CIDs will all work without radio for FC functions. In the case of GID/CID though, you can't use it, as you have no control buttons for it (doesn't use wiper stalk).

MIDs get time from manual setting (via buttons, or radio only on CCRT), or via RDS (post 19998 only).

GIDs/CIDs get it from manual settings or automatically from GPS.
Grumpy old man

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2008, 10:52:32 »

Fair enough then, thats that plan out of the window!

So in regards to setting the time then, as said when I remove the CCRT, I still can't use the buttons to set/change the time.  Does it need a quick chat with a Tech2 to enable this??
Humbugs...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2008, 10:57:03 »

Fair enough then, thats that plan out of the window!

So in regards to setting the time then, as said when I remove the CCRT, I still can't use the buttons to set/change the time.  Does it need a quick chat with a Tech2 to enable this??
Actually, if buttons are there, it can be done via them. Not sure if CCRT700 display works without radio though - may have to put MID in (which won't work with any radio)
Grumpy old man

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2008, 11:29:26 »

I'll whip the radio out later then see if they do work without the radio in, but im sure (from memory) they did bugger all last time...
Humbugs...

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2008, 12:28:30 »

Nope, radio out, the buttons won't change the time.  Aftermarket radio inserted as test, again, no ability to change time :(

Ahwell, I only need to display this bit anyways...

Will figure something out :)
Humbugs...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2008, 12:51:07 »

Nope, radio out, the buttons won't change the time.  Aftermarket radio inserted as test, again, no ability to change time :(

Ahwell, I only need to display this bit anyways...

Will figure something out :)
Throw in a (reliable type) later MID, will work both with wiper stalk, and clock buttons. Will need recoding to match car (eng/gearbox/hids/wheel size etc) for FC functions
Grumpy old man

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2008, 13:15:59 »

Would do, but I'm relocating the display to somewhere else, as I'll be fitting a TFT where it used to be, and as such, I can do away with the clock and date functions, all I need is the various info displays.
Humbugs...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2008, 13:34:15 »

Would do, but I'm relocating the display to somewhere else, as I'll be fitting a TFT where it used to be, and as such, I can do away with the clock and date functions, all I need is the various info displays.
The incoming signals are simple, if your lcd is PC driven ;)
Grumpy old man

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2008, 16:31:59 »

CCRT display works without radio  :y also setting time with the buttons doesnt work! :'( thats why my clock is now one hour ahead nvm as  soon it will be going on eBay for my new radio  ::) ;)

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2008, 17:16:11 »

All 3 outputs will be PC Driven and shall be running from the same computer :)
Humbugs...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2008, 18:45:12 »

CCRT display works without radio  :y also setting time with the buttons doesnt work! :'( thats why my clock is now one hour ahead nvm as  soon it will be going on eBay for my new radio  ::) ;)
PM me auction link when you put it up - might have a flutter ::)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2008, 18:46:17 »

All Check control functions are simple 12v/0v connections. Not sure about engine ECU protocol used, you'd need to look into that further.
Grumpy old man

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2008, 18:49:07 »

All Check control functions are simple 12v/0v connections. Not sure about engine ECU protocol used, you'd need to look into that further.

Well if I could get the data on the consumption/temperature values, I suppose they could all be integrated somehow.

There is a thing called FusionBrain which gives various digital and analogue inputs, aswell as digital outputs to control various things so could route via one or 2 of those...
Humbugs...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2008, 18:50:27 »

Well if I could get the data on the consumption/temperature values, I suppose they could all be integrated somehow.

There is a thing called FusionBrain which gives various digital and analogue inputs, aswell as digital outputs to control various things so could route via one or 2 of those...
Temp would need to go via ADC (joystick input may be useful for this)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.