Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another non- starter  (Read 2661 times)

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
Yet another non- starter
« on: 24 November 2008, 19:52:07 »

I wil appologise now if this is in the wrong place.
Basically I can't get a friend omega started with the key, it's had a new barrel for the original key, fitted the new barrel (which only goes in one way) connected the ignition switch on and plugged the connector onto the ig switch. Now the problem is the car won't start with the key BUT will start by hot wiring the car, everything is still original.
Now my question is would the ignition switch be causing this problem or something else? Just to add when turning the key to number 1 position the ignition lights come on but turning the key to position 2 the lights go out and won't start  :(

Any help will be grateful not sure what else it can be.
The car is a 2.0ltr S plate.

Paul  :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

nabsim

• High Peak
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another non- starter
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2008, 19:56:43 »

I am new to Omegas so not sure how the contacts make on the end/inside the barrel but it sounds like thats where your problem is to me. I am sure someone will let you know shortly though ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2008, 20:03:11 »

Sounds like an issue with the switch itself...
Grumpy old man

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2008, 16:48:52 »

Just to let you all know I sorted the non-starting problem, It was the ignition switch all sorted and running.

Paul

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2008, 16:54:23 »

Just to let you all know I sorted the non-starting problem, It was the ignition switch all sorted and running.

Paul

A new switch or a new-to-you switch? Glad you sorted it.  :y

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2008, 16:59:43 »

No. definately a new switch from vaux plus a new key and barrel as well. £155 total cost and no need to programe the new key either. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Paul

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2008, 17:05:03 »

No. definately a new switch from vaux plus a new key and barrel as well. £155 total cost and no need to programe the new key either. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Paul

Why a new barrel?  :o The switch is seperate from the barrel & plugs onto the loom.

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2008, 20:05:44 »

The barrel was starting to become difficult to turn and sometimes wouldn't turn at all unless you took the key out a couple of times then put it back in then you could turn the key to start the car. I did put a secondhand barrel in which was supplied by a oof member which worked perfectly until that one stopped working properly so hence the new barrel as well. Then started the ignition switch saga.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2008, 20:28:47 »

The barrel was starting to become difficult to turn and sometimes wouldn't turn at all unless you took the key out a couple of times then put it back in then you could turn the key to start the car. I did put a secondhand barrel in which was supplied by a oof member which worked perfectly until that one stopped working properly so hence the new barrel as well. Then started the ignition switch saga.

I'd have taped the imobiliser chip to a screwdriver first rather than fork out £150 for a new barrel  ;D  ;D  :y

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2008, 20:36:20 »

I'd have taped the imobiliser chip to a screwdriver first rather than fork out £150 for a new barrel  ;D  ;D  :y

The £150 was for the new barrel and key (non chipped Key) car pass, ignition switch and chipped key as well all this cost my customer £194 inc vat, the £150 was to the company I work for had to get it all from the dealer on the company account to get it all, didnt charge for fitting it as done that previously plus done it at work as well!!

« Last Edit: 26 November 2008, 20:37:32 by vauxhallomega1 »

Artifex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2008, 07:45:53 »

I've just had the same problem with mine. At first the key was intermittently jamming in the ignition and refusing to turn until i'd wiggled it about for ten minutes or so until eventually it packed in full stop and just would not turn at all. Popped into my local dixons parts counter and paid £20 for a new barrel and pair of keys, and was told to run a drill down the ignition barrel to pop it out of the car and this one should just slide straight in, and then said that the immobilizer chip will want swapping into the new key and all will work fine.
Took the drill to the ignition barrel and must have gone through half a dozen drill bits as they all kept snagging inside the barrel and snapping clean in half.
After spitting the dummy out i decided to just rag the ignition barrel to bits and eventually got it out and put the new one straight in - no problems.
THEN, after swapping the immobiliser chip into the new key it simply would not have it at all.
Got on the phone to vaux and they said id have to bring the car in so they can re-programme it. This meant having to get my car recovered and taken down as it wouldnt start, costing me £50 (which was surprisingly cheap) and then a further £150 as it turned out the immobilizer transponder in the car was not even registered to my vehicle so they had to put a new one of these in.
Grand Total = £220
Plus the ballache of not having a car all week as deliveries to vaux were v slow because of the snow.

:-?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2008, 08:26:02 »

We have a maintenance guide on how to service the lock barrels.......so when they start getting a bit sticky its worth spending 30 mins fixing it once and for all!

Artifex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2008, 07:54:23 »

yeah i wish id found it earlier!! ah well!

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2008, 10:38:51 »

We have a maintenance guide on how to service the lock barrels.......so when they start getting a bit sticky its worth spending 30 mins fixing it once and for all!

Tried this once before mark on another car many years ago. Due to what happened I decided to get another key and barrel from a scrap yard fixed the problem but I decided at that point That I would not take a barrel apart to lubricate it. Bad bad experiance, thats why I would just replace the barrel instead.

Paul  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2008, 11:19:43 »

Tried this once before mark on another car many years ago. Due to what happened I decided to get another key and barrel from a scrap yard fixed the problem but I decided at that point That I would not take a barrel apart to lubricate it. Bad bad experiance, thats why I would just replace the barrel instead.

Paul  ;D

Chicken!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.