Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing Standard Double Din?  (Read 1538 times)

Conor62

• View Profile
Removing Standard Double Din?
« on: 18 February 2009, 01:27:22 »

This may sound stupid and it may already have been answered so i apologise in advance..

I cant for the life of me figure out how to remove the standard double din headunit from my omega! i have the allen bolts out, i have the key/pins to put into the holes and have also removed the ashtray, i had all the buttons removed and had all the screws i could see taken out, i also nearly had the whole centre section off from around the unit but still the headunit wouldnt come out.... is there a trick? because i was very close to smashing my dash board to pieces earlier...  :-[

heres what i have :

Welung666

Re: Removing Standard Double Din?
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2009, 01:59:21 »

If you have the proper removal keys just push them in as far as they'll go then a little outward pressure and a firm yank and it'll pop right out :y

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2009, 02:25:04 »

as said, the keys push in and should lock iirc. Its the depth that is important. They need to go in enough to hold the side tabs out but not so far as not to lock in place so you can pull the unit out . You should then be able to feel the click and pull the unit out using the keys as handels. Nowt else to do, 4 grub screws out, double ended pair of keys in lock and pull. Side pressure help iirc. Its been a while since i pulled mine out...wa hay!

Welung666

« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2009, 02:31:35 »

as said, the keys push in and should lock iirc. Its the depth that is important. They need to go in enough to hold the side tabs out but not so far as not to lock in place so you can pull the unit out . You should then be able to feel the click and pull the unit out using the keys as handels. Nowt else to do, 4 grub screws out, double ended pair of keys in lock and pull. Side pressure help iirc. Its been a while since i pulled mine out...wa hay!

Not what I've heard  ;D ;D ;D

Conor62

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2009, 17:04:24 »

i have the correct pins/keys and im pushing towards either side of the car while pulling and its not budging... tried everything, even taking the glove box out, it just seems as if its bolted in from the back...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2009, 18:30:04 »

its not bolted in. Some are a pig to get out.

To add to your problem, the facia is not attached that well to unit, and if you pull the facia off, you'll break it...
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2009, 18:34:32 »

i have the correct pins/keys and im pushing towards either side of the car while pulling and its not budging... tried everything, even taking the glove box out, it just seems as if its bolted in from the back...
Can only guess you need to get the depth right. Its possible to push the keys in too far and bend the tabs out of the way, or whatever they are. Are the keys locked in position? If so then something catching but its not bolted or held in at the back. It just plugs into sockets that line up with plugs on the head unit.

Its not at all recommended koz its possible to pull the facia off, but if the cd cassette is out you can get more grip with fingers in the slot. As said though its possible to pull the facia off! This is bad!
So be carefull.

Just wonder if part of the cage is catching?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2009, 19:50:50 »

Some of the cheaper removal keys (halfords and ebay) are not properly formed around the ends that latch into the sides of the radio, and will often come loose if you pull them. Vauxhalls are a real pig for this.

Genuine Vauxhall removal keys cost 10 times as much, but do work every time.

:y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Conor62

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2009, 03:01:06 »

i went to my local vauxhall parts dept and they didnt have the keys, dont understand how thats possible, the keys i have cost £5 lol so thats probably why, im going to bring it to an I.C.E shop tomorrow n get them to do it, same me a load of hassle for 10 quid..

thanks for the help folks. :y

bluehawk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2009, 05:31:41 »

i had the same problem but as i was not keeping the radio gave up and used a flat screw driver to snap the front of the radio  ;D and then pulled the rado out of the cage :D with gentle perssasion

john6177

• Near Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2009, 14:42:14 »

i had same problem. went to halfords and got one of the installers to remove it.cost me a couple of quid. go when they are quiet not on saturday. best of luck

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2009, 15:44:32 »

I've just replaced my radio unit, was a bit of a tight fit but some gentle persuasion it came out. Didn't use any special removal keys either.

Mick

Conor62

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2009, 21:13:30 »

got it out (and the radio) :D

went to an I.C.E shop and asked them to remove it, they worked at it for 45 mins and eventually came to the conclusion that they needed to brake the face off... didnt mind as i was replacing it with my kenwood anyway so cost me £20 and saved me a lot of swearing, sweat and probably a few cuts here and there. now ive got usb, bluetooth, handfree etc etc the lot lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.