Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear light issue  (Read 1468 times)

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
Rear light issue
« on: 05 August 2009, 11:44:10 »

I have a problem with my driver's side rear light. Every time I turn my lights on it doesn't work, so I open up the area where the lights are and as soon as I unclip the cluster of bulbs it lights up. I then put it back in and it still works fine until next time I get in the car and turn the lights on. This seems to be happening every time I use the car now! Any ideas as to what I can do?

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: Rear light issue
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2009, 11:48:31 »

The bulb is usually starting to fail when that happens, although it is always possible you have a faulty connection on that cluster :).

First though replace the bulb! ;) ;) ;)

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2009, 11:55:54 »

Got a feeling its not the bulb, because I had my MOT last November and they changed the bulb but when I got the car back, the light wasn't working and taking the cluster out and putting it back sorted it for a few months. I will change it today though just to rule it out!

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2009, 11:58:17 »

Got a feeling its not the bulb, because I had my MOT last November and they changed the bulb but when I got the car back, the light wasn't working and taking the cluster out and putting it back sorted it for a few months. I will change it today though just to rule it out!

It is very possible that they put in an inferior make of bulb, which is a common problem!  Ensure you buy a Bosch or similiar replacement, although I use Halfords ones and have had no problems unlike some other members ;) ;) ;).

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2009, 14:55:31 »

It is very possible that they put in an inferior make of bulb, which is a common problem!  Ensure you buy a Bosch or similiar replacement, although I use Halfords ones and have had no problems unlike some other members ;) ;) ;).

As I am too scared to ever disagree with Lizzie  :P

I must therefore agree with her completely. A lot of bulbs these days are of really questionable quality and just because you have replaced it does not mean that it cannot be ruled out. I have had a few of late where one end of the filament inside is loose (open circuit) although after being shaken around in the car will come to rest on the un-attatched terminal and will work briefly until next shaken. Halfords used to have a couple of ranges of bulbs, and I no longer buy the cheaper ones - although would always pay a few pence extra for the Bosch or Ring if I could find them

:y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2009, 15:34:54 »

As I am too scared to ever disagree with Lizzie  :P

I must therefore agree with her completely. A lot of bulbs these days are of really questionable quality and just because you have replaced it does not mean that it cannot be ruled out. I have had a few of late where one end of the filament inside is loose (open circuit) although after being shaken around in the car will come to rest on the un-attatched terminal and will work briefly until next shaken. Halfords used to have a couple of ranges of bulbs, and I no longer buy the cheaper ones - although would always pay a few pence extra for the Bosch or Ring if I could find them

:y

You know you needn't be Dave........for now!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)
« Last Edit: 05 August 2009, 15:35:19 by Lizzie_Zoom »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2009, 16:24:03 »

You know you needn't be Dave........for now!!            

Not sure if that was reassuring or not ?

:-*   ;D
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2009, 22:53:07 »

Sounds like you've got a bad earh (0v) connection mate - I'd check that.

Omegas do seem a bit funny re rear light/stop light bulbs - Vx or (in my case) Ring bulbs seem ok.  Halfords seem p*ss poor.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Agemo

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes
  • Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2009, 22:21:10 »

It could still be the bulb, I would try swapping nearside for offside.

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2009, 18:56:23 »

Well I put a new Bosch bulb in on Saturday, and so far so good - hopefully sorted, thanks everyone! I had no idea a bulb could be defective in that sort of way.

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2009, 19:03:58 »

I had the same problem with the nearside brake light - intermittent failure for months - bulb seemed to be fine. 

I eventually cleaned all the metal contacts thoroughly and sprayed it all with a contact cleaner.  Problem went away after a couple of days.
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.