Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PHILIPS CARIN SATNAV  (Read 2006 times)

whitebullet

• stoke
    • View Profile
PHILIPS CARIN SATNAV
« on: 29 September 2009, 19:13:54 »

I have just bought myself an Omega elite with all the toys including the satnav(carin i think), my question is it possible to aquire/download new maps for it or do i have to put up with old maps, any help would be grate
HALFORDS TRADE CARD HOLDER
VAUXHALL  TRADE CARD HOLDER

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: PHILIPS CARIN SATNAV
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2009, 20:36:49 »

Seems that disks for these are no longer available from Navteq, and that 2008 was possibly last version. 

Its quite an old system, and pretty sluggish on the newer maps, but once its plotted a route, works well enough.

Its copyrighted material, so nobody here will post how to illegally acquire it, and using CDRs in the Philips system knackers the laser prematurely
Grumpy old man

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2009, 10:09:58 »

Hi,
I have a Phillips Carin system in mine that I don't use as I now have a TomTom 720 built in. I can give you a copy of the map cd I have if you like. Its worked ok in mine for years and still does without any damage to the laser heads too as the heads are the same as those used in their audio cd players. Suppose it depends on the quality of the media used to copy and my backup is on a market leader not just a cheapo.
Up to you what you do but I found the system is fiddly to use and too far out of sight when you are driving to be safe. Ok if your passenger is there to help though.
Cheers
Ray
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

Zonerc

• stoke on trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2009, 11:10:04 »

Ray you say you have a 720 now built in do you mean in a omega if so I take it you have custom fitted ,any chance of pics if it was

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2009, 18:39:37 »

Hi,
I have a Phillips Carin system in mine that I don't use as I now have a TomTom 720 built in. ***********************************. Its worked ok in mine for years and still does without any damage to the laser heads too as the heads are the same as those used in their audio cd players. Suppose it depends on the quality of the media used to copy and my backup is on a market leader not just a cheapo.
Up to you what you do but I found the system is fiddly to use and too far out of sight when you are driving to be safe. Ok if your passenger is there to help though.
Cheers
Ray
Sorry, no discussion of distrbuting copyright material, sorry. We have to protect the forum and its representatives.

As to CDRs, they do cause premature wear on these old lasers which were designed for pressed CDs anyway.  Its likely that very high quality media - TY/Verbatim etc - burned at 1x will reduce this, but its still asking a lot of the focusing coils, which will eventually give up.

Generally, on audio applications, if it doesn't do MP3, it can't really do CDRs.  Philips lasers are particularly prone to this mode of failure.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2009, 18:41:01 »

Ray you say you have a 720 now built in do you mean in a omega if so I take it you have custom fitted ,any chance of pics if it was
That is a normal TomTom portable unit, complete with all the associated problems that brings (telltale circles on windscreen to tempt thieves, problems maintaining accurate fixes in 'difficult' areas etc)
Grumpy old man

Zonerc

• stoke on trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2009, 08:19:16 »

I agree with the tell tale sign rings but unless you have a built in system of which most you cant get updated verywell its the only option ,ive got the tomtom 920 annd mine even keeps working through tunnels.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2009, 22:13:10 »

I agree with the tell tale sign rings but unless you have a built in system of which most you cant get updated verywell its the only option ,ive got the tomtom 920 annd mine even keeps working through tunnels.
That is called dead reckonning, and its woefully inaccurate.  I know this after driving around part of Birmingham's inner ring road several times because TomTom was bloody useless.  That is what prompted me to fit a proper system
Grumpy old man

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2009, 18:09:42 »

TomTom doesnt work in tunnels to prove it stop in the tunnel if you can and watch what tomtom does!

Built in is the way forward my cars system is nice & easy to use and works well it will soon be getting upgraded to Mk4 Splitscreen 16:9 DVD navigation when i can find what parts i need!

Carin's dont like CD-Rs ive seen alot of units with faulty disc drives my'n included this practice is best avoided

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2009, 22:07:43 »

Carin's dont like CD-Rs ive seen alot of units with faulty disc drives my'n included this practice is best avoided

I'm sayin' nowt then!  :-X  ::) ::)

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2009, 08:42:24 »

We need to be careful about making comments about Tom Tom 920 & upwards models as they have the same gyros built in as the Carin system - which is why the do work in tunnels and underground carparks.

Granted the more popular Tom Tom units only have GPS reception and therefore dont work without seeing the satellite signals.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2009, 10:07:27 »

OK, to avoid confusion, this is how the GPS units work:

A true "Vehicle fitted" GPS system will use a gyroscope (compass) to determine which heading it is on, and then will advance in that direction in accordance to the distance increments it has been given by the speed pulses from the vehicle. As it move, the current position will then be plotted on a stored map and the position will then be confirmed annd adjusted by taking a secondary reading from three or more sattellites to give an accurate location and adjust any innacuracies every 30 seconds or so. If it cannot see the sky (or GPS signal) then it will remain fairly accurate as it will constantly receive measured and accuate distance increments in a known given compass heading, and when satellite reception is restored, the position can be adjusted where necessary. Using the GPS as a secondary position also eliminates the errors implemented by the authorities to ensure that the GPS is not totally accurate for positions, and anyone who looked at GPS signals at the start of the Iraqi war will have also seen some dramatic shifts in positions to ensure that the technology was not used against the forces for firing anything.

A Handheld GPS system, the sort that are great for Hikers and Bikers that have appeared now for In-Car use such as Tom Tom / Garmin etc work in a very different way. Some have a gyroscope of sorts (albeit a much inferior compass) to determine which heading it is on, but do not have any form of speed input to determine accurate measurements in a given direction. The current position is determined by receiving data from three or more satellites - this, as always is line of sight from a visable sky above, and can be "confused" like the car ones by tall buildings and tunnels that deflect the signals, however, unlike the car ones using GPS as a secondary position, the hand helds use this as a primary position. As you move the current position will then be again plotted on a stored map, but this is done on a continual basis, which is why "over land" speeds can also be monitored. If it cannot see the sky (or GPS signal) then it will not know its position, but to prevent it from switching the map off, they implement a small amount of intelligence to keep heading in the same direction at the same speed until the GPS signal is restored. If you still beleive that you are receiving a GPS signal in a tunnel, then heres  a little test to dispell the myth. Drive into a long tunnel very fast and then stop and reverse back out (do not turn round and activate the compass) and you will probably see that the screen shows you continuing through the tunnel as orginally planned. There is also very little in the form of error correction which is why they can often be unable to distinguish between two parallel roads that are close together - A602 and A1M in Stevenage are a great example of this, and virtually every handheld unit we have tested has failed on this stretch of road.

Hope this now adds to some of the confusion.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

tanker12uk

• Saltburn by the Sea. Cleveland
    • Elite 3.2V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2009, 18:54:35 »

I got my maps last year for the carin from germany only cost £30.00 and they are kosher found it on flea bay and they work fine

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2009, 14:17:02 »

Sat Nav's nearly always require direct line of sight to the sky.

I currently use the Siemens NCDR 1500 Sat Nav system in the Vectra. Which is OK, again could do with more up to date maps. But useful.

When I know I need a sat nav, I have an old tom tom 300 go. THe advantage of the 300 go for me is the mount. In the near future I intend to take the knuckle off the cradle and make a bracket that fits near my rear view mirror. Make the mounting upside down and it will be almost invisible to a person walking by. (The 300 go has the option to work USD).
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 October 2009, 21:53:00 »

Sat Nav's nearly always require direct line of sight to the sky.

I currently use the Siemens NCDR 1500 Sat Nav system in the Vectra. Which is OK, again could do with more up to date maps. But useful.

When I know I need a sat nav, I have an old tom tom 300 go. THe advantage of the 300 go for me is the mount. In the near future I intend to take the knuckle off the cradle and make a bracket that fits near my rear view mirror. Make the mounting upside down and it will be almost invisible to a person walking by. (The 300 go has the option to work USD).
I use an NCDR1500 in my MV6, and using the 2009 map.  Has most new roads on ;)
« Last Edit: 08 October 2009, 21:53:17 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.