Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: after market radio prob PLEASE  (Read 2092 times)

sparten

• ffoss-y-ffin,near aberaeron
  • usually,fixing his miggy
    • View Profile
after market radio prob PLEASE
« on: 08 February 2010, 20:08:15 »

right ,i have a 2.5 cdx saloon faclift model now as with every car i have bought some cowboy has allways bodged the radio so i took it out to have a look,oh boy was i glad i did loads of plugs,radio was pluged into the grey 3 block connector now the small red wire was melted to such anextent that the plastic cover was melted away it was allso on two other similar plugs ,so far i have chased this cable back to the main loom running the lengh of dash to behind fuse box which then goes up to steering colume at which point it is joined by two other red small cables that are linked together then goes into two red cables up to steering wheel covers(steering wheel audio controls maby) now after rumiging through the forum am i right in saying that i should swop the red little wire on car loom around with yellow wire were they go into iso(radio) as in the little red one joined to accessary and yellow is battery on loom of car there is a big red wire too which seems ok or is it big red =battery,little red ignition iether way there power your help will be great as car is in bits at the mo

sparten

• View Profile
Re: after market radio prob PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2010, 21:39:38 »

ok easier question grey 3 block car loom connector power suply block what wire does what

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2010, 22:47:57 »

The Red Ignition feed and Yellow Batteery feed on the radio wiring loom do indeed need to be reversed.

;)

There is a picture somewhere on here of the wiring configuration of the ISO plugs - can someone post a link to it please?

:-?
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Ddraigcymro

• South Wales
  • Hate the game not the player!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2010, 23:02:19 »

Why do you need to swop over the yellow and red wire. Will it drain power from anothe electical componet eg. rev counter/speedo/or evan air con?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

sparten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2010, 23:03:33 »

i have been looking for hours think i've aged :D

sparten

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2010, 23:12:03 »

all i know is there is a small(thin)red wire on3 lots of plugs and if i'm right all go up towards steering colume and previus owner,owners have burnt all of them the last one on the grey block has melted the insulation away so i am having a hell of a job chassing it out and replaceing it but i dont think i will be connecting it back up to sterio again potential fire risk ,you guys might want to look if there is a aftermarket sterio fitted  >:(

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2010, 09:05:56 »

Why do you need to swop over the yellow and red wire. Will it drain power from anothe electical componet eg. rev counter/speedo/or evan air con?

Although the physical shape of the ISO radio connector is a standard shape and format, the wiring pin locations inside are not. In their infinate wisdom (?) Vauxhall decided to swap over the permanent and ingnition feed supplies from what has been recognised as an industry standard.

Failing to wire in a stereo correctly can give many problems from flattened battery, electronics failure of the car, but the most common one is not being able to retain the station memory once the radio is turned off.

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2010, 09:08:39 »

all i know is there is a small(thin)red wire on3 lots of plugs and if i'm right all go up towards steering colume and previus owner,owners have burnt all of them the last one on the grey block has melted the insulation away so i am having a hell of a job chassing it out and replaceing it but i dont think i will be connecting it back up to sterio again potential fire risk ,you guys might want to look if there is a aftermarket sterio fitted  >:(

If you have burnt or melted wires, then an online forum is not really a place where you would receive much advice, as far safer for an autoelectrician to actually look at it and see first hand what the problem and potential risks are.

:'(
www.dndservices.co.uk

sparten

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2010, 16:15:39 »

out of the two wires to swop over red/yellow onedoes the yellow one have another colour mixed with it as in yellow grey

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #9 on: 09 February 2010, 19:43:31 »

out of the two wires to swop over red/yellow onedoes the yellow one have another colour mixed with it as in yellow grey

This only applies to the seperate loom (if any) that comes with the stereo, it does not apply to any colours on the wiring harness of the car.

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

Ddraigcymro

• South Wales
  • Hate the game not the player!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2010, 20:45:04 »

I think sparten is chasing wires in the car as most of his posts are regarding the block in the car. If so I still thinking the yellow wire in centre console is solid yellow and most of the other wires are for speekers its the two red thin wires that is causing the confuson, but after chasing my wires back I cant remember which wire lights up the display. But as sugested seek advice from somebody who can read the voltage would definatly be a verry good and safe way to procead, unles somebody on here has the wireing diagram for us all to look at.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

sparten

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 February 2010, 21:02:43 »

found the problem the red wire on car loom had been cut away and was rubbing on metal behind dash hench the sort melted wire so now i will take the accessary wire direct from ignition any one know which colour wire is powerd when ignition is turned on

sparten

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2010, 20:52:29 »

well all fixed today rewired the existing ignition wires with same thin cable and all ok what a job  :y i'm on a roll two jobs sorted in one day radio and fogs yippee, just hope the rest of car dont let me down tomorrow got to take missus to hospital scan time :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.