Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: no rear fog lights  (Read 2666 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: no rear fog lights
« Reply #15 on: 06 February 2010, 22:08:28 »

is it behind the plastick trim in boot were it locks back panel as the panel is loose!think someone has been in there lately

Yes!  :y The OEM loom uses 8 wires for the 12N electrics, but the blue/black fog light wire goes to a normally closed switch inside the towing socket & back to the car so that it can turn the car's fog lights off when you plug your caravan/trailer into the car. Until a towbar loom is plugged in, the blu/black wire lis looped out at the socket so that you have working rear fogs on your car.

sparten

• ffoss-y-ffin,near aberaeron
  • usually,fixing his miggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 February 2010, 22:20:08 »

cheers andy will have a look tomorrow :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #17 on: 07 February 2010, 10:25:14 »

is it behind the plastick trim in boot were it locks back panel as the panel is loose!think someone has been in there lately

Yes!  :y The OEM loom uses 8 wires for the 12N electrics, but the blue/black fog light wire goes to a normally closed switch inside the towing socket & back to the car so that it can turn the car's fog lights off when you plug your caravan/trailer into the car. Until a towbar loom is plugged in, the blu/black wire lis looped out at the socket so that you have working rear fogs on your car.

I`ve just had a similar problem on my Subaru with no fogs, and that turned out to be a stuck plastic pin inside the socket itself - cleaned and greased it up and everything now ok, so this socket fault may be quite widespread, not just an Omega issue.

;)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 10 February 2010, 18:51:56 »

like this Dave? Bastid thing, this is the tow bar electrics plug on the car loom, presumably designed to plug into the vx tow bar electrics kit, all plug and play, or it would be if they still bloody made it.

The two spring pins coming in from the side are contacting the pins that correspond to black with blue stripe wires to fog lites.

Looks like the idea is that these spring pins are forced away when the plug is pushed in,looks like it would work well except the fact that they have a further section deep in the plug that holds them away without the plug anyway, they are either bent or off centre as they serm to rub on the side of their recess.

I fiddled with them and lubed and wiggled them but could not get consistant contact, so i bent the fog pins over a fraction to meet them and it does seem to contact ok now.

Loom by the hinge is fine. Thanks for your help though, i would have spent a lot more time looking for the fault without your input.

Cheers

Chris :y

sparten

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2010, 20:49:04 »

well i fixed mine eventualy some prat i could not believe had cut off the proper plug of the towing electricks and had butcherd the origanel wiring ,spliced into car electricks found the towing electrick plug hidden in back panel,bloody prats,well went to scrappy got the proper plug all wired up and bingo all works aok :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #20 on: 10 February 2010, 22:51:09 »

No, the pin I refer to is on the actual towbar socket that is external to the car. As the trailer plug is inserted a small plastic pin makes/breaks some contacts inside to route the foglights accordingly. Mine had jammed inwards meaning that the fogs on the car did not revert to correct operation when trailer socket removed.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 February 2010, 22:53:55 »

No, the pin I refer to is on the actual towbar socket that is external to the car. As the trailer plug is inserted a small plastic pin makes/breaks some contacts inside to route the foglights accordingly. Mine had jammed inwards meaning that the fogs on the car did not revert to correct operation when trailer socket removed.

Same set-up as a OEM GM 8 wire 12N socket!  :y  :y  :y

mudflap

• Intermediate Member
  • NW London UK
  • My Green Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 February 2010, 18:40:34 »

My rear fog lights don't work either - an estate with no towbar... :-/

If it's got tits or wheels  it's bound to give you trouble   

feeutfo

« Reply #23 on: 11 February 2010, 23:05:54 »

My rear fog lights don't work either - an estate with no towbar... :-/

worth checking that plug imo, if your car has it, not sure if its on the whole range, i have a tow bar, but the electrics have not been connected up yet.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 February 2010, 23:55:37 »

like this Dave? Bastid thing, this is the tow bar electrics plug on the car loom, presumably designed to plug into the vx tow bar electrics kit, all plug and play, or it would be if they still bloody made it.

The two spring pins coming in from the side are contacting the pins that correspond to black with blue stripe wires to fog lites.

Looks like the idea is that these spring pins are forced away when the plug is pushed in,looks like it would work well except the fact that they have a further section deep in the plug that holds them away without the plug anyway, they are either bent or off centre as they serm to rub on the side of their recess.

I fiddled with them and lubed and wiggled them but could not get consistant contact, so i bent the fog pins over a fraction to meet them and it does seem to contact ok now.

Loom by the hinge is fine. Thanks for your help though, i would have spent a lot more time looking for the fault without your input.

Cheers

Chris :y

Those bottom two pins are the fog light circuit and yes, those spring pins should make contact to complete the circuit when towing electrics not fitted.  :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 February 2010, 00:14:40 »

Those bottom two pins are the fog light circuit and yes, those spring pins should make contact to complete the circuit when towing electrics not fitted.  :y

Kevin

Prefacelift cars are different though. They have a plug with a loop of blue/black wire to make the circuit.  ;)

sparten

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 February 2010, 15:33:29 »

i should emagine if your not to botherd about a fog light on trailer just connect the two black/blue wires together you will have fogs on the car again
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.