Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ELECTRICAL FAULT...ADVICE REQUIRED.  (Read 2006 times)

fudgee

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
ELECTRICAL FAULT...ADVICE REQUIRED.
« on: 03 July 2010, 14:12:31 »

Hi everyone.
I'm new to the O.O.F and this is the first post i've put up so I hope i'm doing everything right.
I really need as much advice as possible from all you experienced omega owners on a 2.2 cd auto i'm thinking about buying.
It's on an 02 plate, has 72000 mls on the clock and bodywork and interior both in excellent condition.
Also taxed and tested.
The problem is it's being sold as spares or repair as all of the electrics have died making the car a non runner.
The seller said it may be the E.C.U but he does not know for sure, he said the car was perfect and then all of a sudden it just died on him right out of the blue.
This of course is reflected in the asking price and because of the low miles and excellent condition its a real tempter!!!
I was just wondering if it was the E.C.U how much is that going to cost all in to sort out, and also is there a chance it could be something a lot worse and a lot more expensive.
All comments are very gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance
FUDGEE

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: ELECTRICAL FAULT...ADVICE REQUIRED.
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2010, 15:30:16 »

I am no expert at fault finding, but I certainly would take on board what the seller said had happened to the car and then store that info - as he is trying to sell the car.

1st I would check are all the engine drive belts.

2nd  thing I would check is that the engine rotates and is not seized.

3rd = is Fuel pressent.?

The list is endless - make sure the battery is charged, does it turn over?

Then onto the electrics, most things are covered by sensors, so if you read up on paper clip and pedel test to find any code issues it may well give you the info straight away to find out what the problem is.

having just re-read your post and all the electrics have died, it could be a main fuse - which if it is something big it could be exspensive. - But, as daft as it is could be just a dead alternaor that hasnt been charging on it's last run and just died through lack of power - that said it could be a lose earth lead.

Thing is if you find the fault before you buy he may not sell you the car, the other thing is will he let you check the car before you buy?

please keep us informed.  :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2010, 16:31:40 »

What has the existing owner tried? as would be strange to simply scrap a car without trying something first.

Where are you located?

There may even be an experienced "oofer" nearby that may glance over it for you to give a second opinion -

Amazing what help you may get in return for a few beer tokens

;)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

fudgee

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2010, 19:13:36 »

Many thanks to everybody who took the time to read my post, and a special thankyou to Mr Skruntie and Dave DND for both taking the time to reply.
I'm going to have a good think about things over the weekend and decide if I'm going to go back and take another look at the car and possibly make him an offer.
Like I said it's a definate tempter, but i'm not as daft as what I look :).
Will keep you all informed either way Skruntie.
Dave DND, unfortunatly your quite a way from me m8.
I'm in Surrey and the omega is located in West Yorkshire.
Thats why I need to be 100% sure I want it before I go back up, lot of travelling involved : :D
Thanks a lot guys, talk soon.
FUDGEE

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2010, 22:09:52 »

I'd check main fuses to the R/H side of the battery and the earths as well as the battery.

zvi

• Intermediate Member
  • IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2010, 11:10:47 »

don't tempt to cheap, can be a lot of other problems. end up expensive deal. look for a runing one.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2010, 12:10:32 »

Yes, a running one is always preferred, but there are still some bargains to be had, providing you don`t suddenly get it running in front of the seller !!

What price are you being offered it for ?  Some here can also help to make your mind up as to whether it is worth a punt or not.
www.dndservices.co.uk

fudgee

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2010, 15:21:12 »

Hi guys.
Dave DND,seller said that if somebody offers him a grand cash they can have it.
The way that he said it, i'm confident I could knock the price down even more, but the thing is that because the car is over a 3 hour drive away from where I live, it's going to cost me about £300 to get it trailered down to me, pushing the total price back up again.
Be very interesting to know what you guys think about the price though, is there a great deal to be had here or is the saving not that great?
Bit of a bargain or more trouble then its worth?
What do you think?  :-?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2010, 15:32:17 »

Hi everyone.
I'm new to the O.O.F and this is the first post i've put up so I hope i'm doing everything right.
I really need as much advice as possible from all you experienced omega owners on a 2.2 cd auto i'm thinking about buying.
It's on an 02 plate, has 72000 mls on the clock and bodywork and interior both in excellent condition.
Also taxed and tested.
The problem is it's being sold as spares or repair as all of the electrics have died making the car a non runner.
The seller said it may be the E.C.U but he does not know for sure, he said the car was perfect and then all of a sudden it just died on him right out of the blue.
This of course is reflected in the asking price and because of the low miles and excellent condition its a real tempter!!!
I was just wondering if it was the E.C.U how much is that going to cost all in to sort out, and also is there a chance it could be something a lot worse and a lot more expensive.
All comments are very gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance
FUDGEE
With those symptons the obvious initial check would be the main fusible links in the box by the battery :-?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2010, 16:34:22 »

Are you with AA Relay by any chance, they might fix it road side or take you and it back home for you.  ::) :-X
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2010, 16:39:12 »

Hi guys.
Dave DND,seller said that if somebody offers him a grand cash they can have it.The way that he said it, i'm confident I could knock the price down even more, but the thing is that because the car is over a 3 hour drive away from where I live, it's going to cost me about £300 to get it trailered down to me, pushing the total price back up again.
Be very interesting to know what you guys think about the price though, is there a great deal to be had here or is the saving not that great?
Bit of a bargain or more trouble then its worth?
What do you think?  :-?

Overpriced for a non-runner, running 2.2's aren't much more.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2010, 16:39:52 by VXL_V6 »

fudgee

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2010, 17:57:13 »

Not with AA relay unfortunatly.
I opened a new bank account with natwest last year and one of the perks was free breakdown cover with Green Flag, so I had no need to take out membership with the AA like I have done in the past.
Even if I rang Green Flag and they took me and the car all the way to Surrey for nothing as part of my membership[which I doubt], I agree with VXL about the price, its still too much.
I would need to knock the seller down to about £600-£700 to be interested I think.
I doubt he will go that low, but I also doubt he's been innundated with offers, so if I find a way of blagging Green Flag for a lift, I'll probably offer him £650 and see what he says  ::)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #12 on: 04 July 2010, 19:15:45 »

I`d be signing up with AA relay !!  Take a road legal car wherever you want it taken !!
www.dndservices.co.uk

fudgee

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 July 2010, 21:22:30 »

Thanks for all the advice guys, gonna go on the website and check out this AA relay thing, sounds interesting :)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #14 on: 04 July 2010, 23:27:54 »

Thanks for all the advice guys, gonna go on the website and check out this AA relay thing, sounds interesting :)

Easy - Join AA first !!  Jump in car, ring them and call them out, if they can fix it by the roadside, excellent, if not, then as a Relay customer, they can take you and the car home.

Done it many times

::)
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.