Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Beeping Noise  (Read 3018 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Beeping Noise
« Reply #15 on: 08 July 2010, 09:29:57 »

The issue is simple ... you have declared your car to be fitted with a "factory fit" Thatcham standard alarm.

If you remove the powersounder it is no longer to that standard... you have just "broken" your contract with your insurer.

Having broken the contract they are no longer bound by it and can refuse all and any claims.

You may think it matters not, but I suggest you read your insurance documentation properly and carefully.

:(

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 July 2010, 09:33:27 »

Be an interesting chat with the insuance...

Insurance : Sir thats an extra £40 pounds for not having the full alarm system please.

Me : But the car is now less likely to go on fire, surely thats got to be worth a discount.

hmmmm  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 July 2010, 09:40:28 »

Insurance : Sir thats an extra £40 pounds for not having the full alarm system please.

Me : But the car is now less likely to go on fire, surely thats got to be worth a discount.

hmmmm  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Exactly, seen too many go up in flames. That is going to be more fun explaining to the insurance company as they could claim its not been serviced correctly.....

But what is the difference if you let the battery die in the powersounder? Its then useless, and no longer 'Thatcham standard' whats the difference between that and removing it?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #18 on: 08 July 2010, 10:48:01 »

You may indeed be aware of lots of faulty ones that go up in smoke, but I bet you have never seen a good one go up in flames.

Its a £50 easy fix, and could be considered as part of the maintenance required in keeping one of those cars alive and in tip top condition.

If you are not performing such an easy fix as this, then what else are you avoiding?

Fix it and move on . . . . Its not that difficult

::)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 July 2010, 10:57:04 »

You may indeed be aware of lots of faulty ones that go up in smoke, but I bet you have never seen a good one go up in flames.

Its a £50 easy fix, and could be considered as part of the maintenance required in keeping one of those cars alive and in tip top condition.

If you are not performing such an easy fix as this, then what else are you avoiding?

Ah but I have, replacement batteries have leaked on number of examples, and boom!

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #20 on: 08 July 2010, 11:55:06 »

Ah but I have, replacement batteries have leaked on number of examples, and boom!

No, I`m not talking about ones that have been inadequatley repaired with traces of corrosion still on the circuit board and non approved batteried being fitted, I`m talking about GOOD and GENUINE NEW items - I have never heard of one of these failing within a five year period, and neither have Sigma.

And before people ask, no, thats not any form of life expectancy, its a figure that was merely used as an indication.

And also, I have no personal problem with those that want to replace their own batteries, its a good cost saving exercise, just make sure it is done properly, and that ALL of that corrosion is dealt with and chemically neutralised, and that you do not simply solder in a new set of batteries - because if you do , you will be asking for trouble.
www.dndservices.co.uk

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 July 2010, 12:41:05 »

No, I`m not talking about ones that have been inadequatley repaired with traces of corrosion still on the circuit board and non approved batteried being fitted, I`m talking about GOOD and GENUINE NEW items - I have never heard of one of these failing within a five year period, and neither have Sigma.

And before people ask, no, thats not any form of life expectancy, its a figure that was merely used as an indication.

And also, I have no personal problem with those that want to replace their own batteries, its a good cost saving exercise, just make sure it is done properly, and that ALL of that corrosion is dealt with and chemically neutralised, and that you do not simply solder in a new set of batteries - because if you do , you will be asking for trouble.

Apologies, misunderstood  :y

Trying to recall if Jimbobs had battery replaced on his before the fire, had a feeling it had?  :-/

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 July 2010, 12:43:30 »

Trying to recall if Jimbobs had battery replaced on his before the fire, had a feeling it had?
  :-/

Nope, was standard  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 July 2010, 12:47:24 »

Trying to recall if Jimbobs had battery replaced on his before the fire, had a feeling it had?
  :-/

Nope, was standard  :y

Bang goes Dave's theory then, puka powersounder failing!

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #24 on: 08 July 2010, 12:56:13 »

Bang goes Dave's theory then, puka powersounder failing!

No, but consistant with the thoery I have just started on a new thread
www.dndservices.co.uk

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 July 2010, 06:09:20 »

hmmmm  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Exactly, seen too many go up in flames. That is going to be more fun explaining to the insurance company as they could claim its not been serviced correctly.....
But what is the difference if you let the battery die in the powersounder? Its then useless, and no longer 'Thatcham standard' whats the difference between that and removing it?

On that quote.. Not serviced correctly... Is this part of a full VX service when it is done, do VX usually remove and check the item for the battery breaking down?

Or is this just a check that WE (The public) should check yearly?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 July 2010, 08:23:20 »

hmmmm  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

On that quote.. Not serviced correctly... Is this part of a full VX service when it is done, do VX usually remove and check the item for the battery breaking down?

Or is this just a check that WE (The public) should check yearly?

Its only something they would change if faulty, its not a service item. Vx would replace the whole unit

oceansoul

• Intermediate Member
  • Sunbury on Thames - Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 July 2010, 19:32:31 »

Wont the horn still sound in the event of the alarm going off, so whats the issue with the insurance?

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 July 2010, 19:53:32 »

Wont the horn still sound in the event of the alarm going off, so whats the issue with the insurance?

Issue is that it is NO LONGER a battery backed up system if the thief decides to disconnect the battery to shut it up ;-)
Hence NO LONGER a Thacham Approved Alarm System

Chimpchoker

• Hartlepool
    • A beautiful omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
    • Bselfsufficient
« Reply #29 on: 14 July 2010, 21:42:19 »

That is your powersounder advising its batteries are dying.

it is under the wiper scuttle.

remove it (and replace if you wish) or just do without, rest of the alarm will still work.

Dont just leave it, as your alarm will start sounding randomly, and it can also sponteneously combust!  as happened to ours and several others!

This has been happening on mine for a good few months and eventually took it to the dealers after the alarm started to sound whenever it liked. The dealer said I needed a new powersounder and a horn as there was "a falt on both" ...

All sorted now ...£220

CC
windup merchant of the first order
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 17 queries.