Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: car overheating at speed  (Read 948 times)

skullmaster

• View Profile
car overheating at speed
« on: 04 September 2010, 13:22:02 »

hi can any one help iv got a 2000 omega elite drive at 30mph grate go to 50mph and the car gose in the red overheating changed the water pump no differant was told there 2 switches for the radiator fans bought tham put one on the one on the right hand side of the radiator but i cant for the life of me find the outher hope someone can help thanks.Alan

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: car overheating at speed
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2010, 14:59:14 »

Wouldn't have thought you would have needed fans at 50mph.  I would suspect some form of blockage - either air locked or the radiator itself.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2010, 16:17:41 »

Try flushing the rad and the heater matrix. Do it more than once in each direction. You will be amazed at how much gunge comes out.

Do you know if your car has ever had a oil cooler failure? This caused oil in the water which can upset the rad.

HTH

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2010, 17:09:59 »

Sounds like an air lock problem.  I would be tempted tp park the car on a incline with the front of the car being as high as possile, top up the water bottle and squeeze all the main hoses with the ignitition off.  Check the water level again and see if it dropped, start the engine and slowly bring up to running temp. then change all the temp setting on the heater controls to full, minute later back to cold, minute later back to hot and then check the water level, if you feel confident to squeeze and check the 2 main rad hoses for heat and squeeze them a few times to release air.

(BE VERY AWARE OF ALL MOVING PARTS UNDER THE BONNET -
 IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING AT THIS POINT
 THEN DONT DO IT - SAFETY 1st EVERY TIME)

This can be done with the expansion bottle cap off while you are checking for air locks, Do not rev the engine as I may cause hot water to gush out of the header tank/expansion bottle.  If there has been an air lock, top up lost water to correct level, refit the cap and take for a spin, open and close the heater controls at different speeds, when the car is parked allow the water /coolent to cool before retopping/checking  and taking off the header tank cap.

Allways keep an eye open for oil in the water.

Other causes are the rad fan themostat switches for the fans, one of which you have changed.

Blocked radiator, what cooler/state was/is the coolant in.

Is heat emmiting from the heater matris into the is=nside of the car oh, possible/partially blocked heater matrix if not.

Please be carefull through testing of moving parts and hot fluids.  :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

zvi

• Intermediate Member
  • IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2010, 23:21:20 »

probably Blocked radiator
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.