Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT coming up - a few faults to sort !!  (Read 897 times)

rob.b.666

• Blackpool
    • View Profile
MOT coming up - a few faults to sort !!
« on: 12 May 2011, 22:17:53 »

Hi all.

Have a few issues to resolve on my facelift 2.5 V6 Elite, before it goes for MOT.

ABS and TC light now mainly on, with no speedo and heavy steering, which usually points to be the ABS ECU......which I believe is a pig to replace. However, I used to get a Low Beam FLD Vision warning, but this only appears now, when the speedo is working and the ABS/TC light isn't lit.

I can't see that the self-levelling lights are linked to a speed sensor, or the ABS ECU, so am wondering why this anomoly occurs. :-?

If it needs a new ABS ECU, but I can't get one cheaply, I'm toying with wiring the ABS light to the oil pressure light, to get through the MOT............but need to know how I get the Instrument binnacle out first. Have removed Senator clocks before, but not on Omegas, so any advice/tips welcomed. :y

Cheers.

Rob
My most hated six words...... 'It's a common problem on Vauxhalls' ...........arrrggghh !!!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: MOT coming up - a few faults to sort !!
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2011, 22:23:16 »

Hi all.

Have a few issues to resolve on my facelift 2.5 V6 Elite, before it goes for MOT.

ABS and TC light now mainly on, with no speedo and heavy steering, which usually points to be the ABS ECU......which I believe is a pig to replace. However, I used to get a Low Beam FLD Vision warning, but this only appears now, when the speedo is working and the ABS/TC light isn't lit.

I can't see that the self-levelling lights are linked to a speed sensor, or the ABS ECU, so am wondering why this anomoly occurs. :-?

If it needs a new ABS ECU, but I can't get one cheaply, I'm toying with wiring the ABS light to the oil pressure light, to get through the MOT............but need to know how I get the Instrument binnacle out first. Have removed Senator clocks before, but not on Omegas, so any advice/tips welcomed. :y

Cheers.

Rob

this is for the instrument binnacle  http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152618876

field vision is often the sensor on the front near side wishbone, but you'd need a code reader to be sure. :y

rob.b.666

• Blackpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2011, 22:29:10 »

Cheers buddy !

Anyone have advice on the ECU ?
My most hated six words...... 'It's a common problem on Vauxhalls' ...........arrrggghh !!!!

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2011, 22:34:50 »

WHAT?  You want to make illegal modifications to your car so it can possibly gain a 12month ticket?

Sort the problem out and stop trying to make short-cuts.

Any MOT tester *should* be able to tell you have played with it.  Read the MOT testers rulebook and it will be clear.

Why risk the lives of yourself and others for the sake of a ~£40 second hand ABS ECU and an hours work?  >:(
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2011, 22:34:59 »

ABS ECU .. around £130 for a repair from BBA Reman ... does not need a tech 2 sesion as it is "your" ECU. 2 year warranty and got it back in under a week .. sent Monday by courier, back Friday. That was 4 years ago I admit... worth giving them a call ?? (google will find them)

Removal/replace is not technically difficult .. only 6 screws .. but it is very "fiddly".

HTH

Martian

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2011, 22:54:05 »

If it needs a new ABS ECU, but I can't get one cheaply, I'm toying with wiring the ABS light to the oil pressure light, to get through the MOT
That won't work, the tester will spot straight away that the ABS ECU hasn't done it's self check.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 17 queries.