Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering geometry in the plughole of the earth  (Read 1522 times)

Osprey

• Redhill, Surrey
  • Drink up. The world's about to end.
    • 01 2.6 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
Steering geometry in the plughole of the earth
« on: 28 September 2011, 17:06:33 »

Good news for those disadvantaged folk living anywhere near Redhill or Gatwick.  Our local independent tyre boutique  - RSR Tyres & Wheels - has taken delivery of a new Hunter 3D geometry setup dohinkus, identical to the one used by WiM in Chesham. 

The staff don't have quite the depth of knowledge you will find at WiM but they are good lads - competent, friendly and know how to use the kit properly.  They will default to the standard Vx configuration but were happy to substitute the camber settings I specified. 

They charge just under £30 per adjustment - so £60 for front toe plus camber and another £30 if you want the rear tracking/camber compromise done too.  The guy doing mine clearly understood the interaction between the camber and toe adjustment and was patient enough to get both spot-on.  He also took time (and a lot of effort) to free off the rear track rods that have been seized ever since I have owned the car. 

Free re-check and re-adjust after a fortnight - should be just enough time for me to fit a wheel bearing that hasn't been adjusted to my wife's spec.  :)

Happy daze!  :y
I feel like a military academy. Bits of me keep passing out.

05omegav6

Re: Steering geometry in the plughole of the earth
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2011, 02:30:31 »

Lethal Tyres in Broadfield, Crawley also have this set up.

Not used them personally (as have a preferred tyre supplier), but several colleagues have, and well thought of.

:y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2011, 09:12:01 »

Good news for those disadvantaged folk living anywhere near Redhill or Gatwick.  Our local independent tyre boutique  - RSR Tyres & Wheels - has taken delivery of a new Hunter 3D geometry setup dohinkus, identical to the one used by WiM in Chesham. 

The staff don't have quite the depth of knowledge you will find at WiM but they are good lads - competent, friendly and know how to use the kit properly.  They will default to the standard Vx configuration but were happy to substitute the camber settings I specified. 

They charge just under £30 per adjustment - so £60 for front toe plus camber and another £30 if you want the rear tracking/camber compromise done too.  The guy doing mine clearly understood the interaction between the camber and toe adjustment and was patient enough to get both spot-on.  He also took time (and a lot of effort) to free off the rear track rods that have been seized ever since I have owned the car. 

Free re-check and re-adjust after a fortnight - should be just enough time for me to fit a wheel bearing that hasn't been adjusted to my wife's spec.  :)

Happy daze!  :y
The rear has to be done first ::)
Grumpy old man

Osprey

• Redhill, Surrey
    • 01 2.6 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2011, 12:11:45 »

True, but in my limited experience the rear tends not to be too far out a lot of the time.  And they don't charge for checking - only for adjusting. 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2011, 12:57:57 »

True, but in my limited experience the rear tends not to be too far out a lot of the time.  And they don't charge for checking - only for adjusting.
The rear is the reference to everything. Its thats not perfect, you're pissing in the wind :y
Grumpy old man

Osprey

• Redhill, Surrey
    • 01 2.6 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2011, 15:15:28 »

Fair enough! 

I've currently got my rear toe just about spot on and rear camber a little more than ideal but well within tolerance (-1d 20m ish from memory).  Given that there is only one adjustment and it will affect both measurements, where would you recommend the compromise should lie? 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.