Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catera suspension upgrade questions  (Read 989 times)

98CadillacCateraSport

• Herndon, Virginia USA
    • 98 Cadillac Catera Sport
    • View Profile
Catera suspension upgrade questions
« on: 12 October 2011, 01:48:13 »

I have some questions about upgrade options for my car's suspension, to give it better handling.

I was wondering if the Omega suspension components are interchangeable with the Catera?  I have already replaced the rear shocks with Bilstein Sport's, but also want to replace the front struts with something of similar performance and it is difficult to find that here.

I am wanting to replace the springs, and may just go with Eibach's for the GTO unless there is another option that is better.

Also, I am wondering if the suspension bushings are the same, I assume they are.  I already have Moog HD lower front bushings to replace my torn ones, but need the front lower rear busing and such. I will have a spare set of front lower control arms to work with for a quick swap, since this is my DD.

Thanks for any help!

feeutfo

Re: Catera suspension upgrade questions
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2011, 06:38:10 »

Availability here, Bilstein are a good choice, we get b4, b6 and b8 with b4 being recommended by many on the forum and will take up to 30mill drop. Along with a sport spring from Irmscher(rare) stienmetz still in production and said to be slightly softer, or eibach.
Omega chassis and suspension components are the same across the range except for saloon and estate, and engine size for front springs. Fairly certain catera is the same. See no reason why it would be different.
Re bushes a few members here have Polly front bushes with the standard rearward bush for wishbones. They seem to transmit any play or wheel balance faults to the driver more, but give a better feel to the steering , going by comments here.

Going by general prices though I would think sourcing parts in the USA would be far cheaper if at all possible...? We seem to pay twice as much, and then some, for everything over here afaict.

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2011, 07:02:08 »

I guess sport being similar to our mv6?

98CadillacCateraSport

• Herndon, Virginia USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2011, 00:12:25 »

Availability here, Bilstein are a good choice, we get b4, b6 and b8 with b4 being recommended by many on the forum and will take up to 30mill drop. Along with a sport spring from Irmscher(rare) stienmetz still in production and said to be slightly softer, or eibach.
Omega chassis and suspension components are the same across the range except for saloon and estate, and engine size for front springs. Fairly certain catera is the same. See no reason why it would be different.
Re bushes a few members here have Polly front bushes with the standard rearward bush for wishbones. They seem to transmit any play or wheel balance faults to the driver more, but give a better feel to the steering , going by comments here.

Going by general prices though I would think sourcing parts in the USA would be far cheaper if at all possible...? We seem to pay twice as much, and then some, for everything over here afaict.

I can't really find any Bilstein offerings for the Catera, they don't list any options on their website.  One resource I have used is this link: http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t108-catera-suspension-upgrades-part-1
but it is difficult finding the front struts anywhere.  I will keep looking though.

The springs, I think the eibach's will fit my needs, does anyone have good reviews on them?

And the bushings, I don't think I want the poly ones. Might just keep with the MOOG HD ones for the front, but not sure if MOOG makes the rear ones?

As for the Sport, I don't think there is much difference from the base model, besides the sport mode for the transmission, and the leather and trim options.

I put a call into a Bilstein distributor today who is going to look into the front struts and get back to me tomorrow, so we will see.

98CadillacCateraSport

• Herndon, Virginia USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2011, 00:13:47 »

Oh and also, what are owners doing for sway bars and end links?  Mostly staying stock?

98CadillacCateraSport

• Herndon, Virginia USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2011, 00:17:06 »

Found some info from that link about the MV6 and sport models: "During its last 3 years of production Cadillac gradually upgraded the Catera's suspension to what it should have been all along. A Catera MV6. A true Sport Sedan that encourages its driver to hunt for the squiggly lines on the map instead of the straight ones. In 1999 they unveiled the Catera Sport which used an intermediate version of the Omega's MV6 suspension. That version became the Catera's base suspension in 2000 while the Sport used the full MV6 tune. "

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2011, 15:32:30 »

uprated sway bars not available.

Although you'd think so, the GTO suspension is not the same as Omega. At the front, the lower wishbones are of a completely different type, whilst at the rear, the GTO doesn't have the camber/toe correction bar that the Catera has, meaning that the wishbone bushes are different.

You might get away with GTO rear springs, but be aware that the GTO weighs a fair bit less than a Catera ( well, mine does anyway ), so there may be effective rate vs. ride height issues.

98CadillacCateraSport

• Herndon, Virginia USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2011, 13:53:59 »

uprated sway bars not available.

Although you'd think so, the GTO suspension is not the same as Omega. At the front, the lower wishbones are of a completely different type, whilst at the rear, the GTO doesn't have the camber/toe correction bar that the Catera has, meaning that the wishbone bushes are different.

You might get away with GTO rear springs, but be aware that the GTO weighs a fair bit less than a Catera ( well, mine does anyway ), so there may be effective rate vs. ride height issues.

Yes the weight differences are a great point.

Well I have found out that the Bilstein B6's for the front are discontinued, but there are actually 2 units left in a bilstein warehouse.  A vendor for Bilstein quoted me over $300 usd per strut for them though.

I want something more firm than stock, are there any other suggestions? Has anyone tried the Koni sport struts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.