Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help on a Zafira A  (Read 4663 times)

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
Help on a Zafira A
« on: 04 November 2011, 19:23:50 »

Just got a really cheap Zafira A with some engine issues...not had a chance to get the "My Naff Code Reader" on it yet (the EML is on) but I noticed that it ran ok with just a slight mifire until heavier acceleration then the constant EML light flashes a few times before being constant again and the engine at that point runs like a pig. Is this the car going into safe mode?? or something else??

Cheers, Chris.
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Help on a Zafira A
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2011, 21:07:42 »

Could be a few things, those engines will shut cylinders down once numerous missfires are detected so coil pack is a possible but, read the codes as a starter

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2011, 22:43:26 »

I think it does have a bit of an oil leak...not particularly used to the 4 pot engines or how they are laid out...is leaking cam cover gaskets leaking oil into the plug wells a possible issue on these does anyone know?? Will be getting the codes tomorrow and will of course let you know :)
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2011, 22:52:47 »

....not particularly used to the 4 pot engines or how they are laid out... .....

One next to the other next to the other next to the other ......... pretty much as the name implies  ::) ::) ::) ::)

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2011, 07:59:42 »

Thanks Andy B  ;D I meant the layout of the engine, not the spark plugs lol Looks like it has a coil pack rather than plugs/leads??

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2011, 11:32:01 »

Only code coming up anywhere is P303 misfire on cylinder 3...also P300 multiple misfire when using the older "My Naff Code Reader" software but not with the later software...

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2011, 16:09:14 »

Is it a 1.8 petrol.
Those engines have problems with the e.c.u. It's mounted on the inlet fanimold and heat and vibration can cause them to breakdown.

Could just be coil pack though... fingers crossed!

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2011, 16:59:34 »

I should have said...its a 1.6...87k FSH cambelt changed at last service 2k ago...

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2011, 17:16:32 »

I've not seen a 1.6 personally but I'd guess it's the same as the small block 1.8's? Is the E.C.U. mounted on the engine?

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2011, 18:40:43 »

lol had one to fix last time i was in uk!!
know the owner, and a lot of people had told him to replace the coil pack they are known for problems< so he did, and it made no difference, he could drive it ten miles and 200 miles and it would do it very randomly, engine light came on and power died, he used to stop turn engine off and wait 5 mins then it would start and drive no problem till it went again,
 it had "multiple misfires detected" according to the codes, knowing the head gasket was replaced the previous time i was on uk ::) so about a year old, I did the following,
new fuel filter
new air filter
new plugs, cleaned the stupid breather system,
then added a can of forte fuel system cleaner to the petrol in the tank(about a quarter)
went to the m40 j9, headed north to j10 at 6000rpm in 3 rd gear,  :-Xcleared all old codes

filled tank with optimax,
used it for a week and not one problem, emailed him last night and he said its running fine no problems its now done a couple of thousand miles since this and so far the problem has not returned

NB before the head gasket was changed it had a problem with using oil, it could go through max to minimum in 500miles, searched around on the net and it appears that the headgasket was to blame, I personally think it was to do with the breather being blocked owing to long service intervals, as couldnt find a lot wrong with the headgasket to be honest :y

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2011, 11:38:19 »

Well on basis that a full service including cambelt was done 2k ago I will have a look at the breather system first...where is it??

Have improved the misfire a little as found one of the pipes from the plastic airflow thing had a split in it...cut the pipe down and its definitely a little better  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 November 2011, 12:24:28 »

The fact that there is a code for a specific cylinder is a bit of a clue (you would get more cylinders reported as faulty for the likes of air leaks etc).

I would inspect the coil pack carefuly and if you can, doa  test with a proper test plug to confirm what volts it can deliver

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 November 2011, 13:30:39 »

Cant see how to get the coil pack off once the air pipes are out the way...

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 November 2011, 13:34:38 »

The misfire seems to be consistent though...slight misfire on startup with reasonable acceleration, then after a minute or so, or maybe acceleration over 3000rpm it gets a fair bit worse and acceleration is poor

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 November 2011, 16:44:57 »

Is it an 8V or a 16V
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.