Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lidl (from Monday, 28th): Snow Chain Set  (Read 10156 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: Lidl (from Monday, 28th): Snow Chain Set
« Reply #15 on: 19 November 2011, 21:21:39 »

What all you 4x4 chaps need to remember is you may get going in the snow, but unless you have full winter tyres, you will stop no better on snow than the rest of us  ;)

Think I saw more 4x4's in ditches than standard cars last big batch of snow  ;D

Whilst your point is valid, do not Generalise....... :) OK, not for about 15 years, but have loads of previous experience on and off road, including local LR club in Hertfordshire,  competitions, in Series 3 LandRovers, even had a company LandRover for a couple of years.......tis the Ice 4X4 that some drivers get caught out on, particularly with all the modern stuff that never sees any Mud

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 November 2011, 21:22:33 »

What all you 4x4 chaps need to remember is you may get going in the snow, but unless you have full winter tyres, you will stop no better on snow than the rest of us  ;)

Think I saw more 4x4's in ditches than standard cars last big batch of snow  ;D

Somewhat ironically, I`ve once ended-up pulling out my old Disco 4x4 from a snow bank, using the Omega wearing it`s snow chains......Chains are THE way to go on ice and deep/rutted snow. :y

::) "Once you tried it with chains, you`ll never want to go back"
.....`sorry that was meant for the OTHER forum! ;D

:o :o :o  ;D ;D ;D

Think i'll get a set then, just checked and found I have a store 2 miles away  :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #17 on: 19 November 2011, 21:46:27 »

and for those , who is planning to use chains for the first time.. practice with them several times before the weather start to freeze your hands ::) ;D

Debs.

« Reply #18 on: 19 November 2011, 21:58:18 »

and for those , who is planning to use chains for the first time.. practice with them several times before the weather start to freeze your hands ::) ;D

;) That`d be a good team-game for the forthcoming, Chester-meet.......competitive fitting of a set of snow chains; against the clock, after a 1 minute read of the instructions. ;D

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 November 2011, 22:16:30 »

thing is if you don'y buy now...when they mention snow there will be as readily available as rocking horse s#@t :y
I don't think we'll have a harsh winter this year  :-X

i will hold you too that jamie...as when it snows up here it is like a baron waste lands...and because we are so high up it's here forever :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 November 2011, 22:21:00 »

Interesting post Cem .....  :)  this afternoon I was showing my neighbour how to fit chains .. used mine as an example :)

First one done very slowly with every step explained, about 4 minutes. Second one he timed me .... 87.6 seconds .. well pleased with that :)

Debs.

« Reply #21 on: 19 November 2011, 22:37:49 »

Interesting post Cem .....  :)  this afternoon I was showing my neighbour how to fit chains .. used mine as an example :)

First one done very slowly with every step explained, about 4 minutes. Second one he timed me .... 87.6 seconds .. well pleased with that :)

Only caveat I`ve found (over several years of regular use) with fitting tyre-chains is that when reaching `round the back of the tyres to couple the cable-loop, the wheel arches/mud-flaps are usually absolutely filthy with road-salt/grime residue after driving on snowy and gritted roads......so, have an old coat or water-proof to hand in the boot; one with long sleeves that you wont mind getting dirty!.....also carry an old bit of carpet to kneel on when fitting the chains. :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #22 on: 19 November 2011, 22:44:20 »

;) That`d be a good team-game for the forthcoming, Chester-meet.......competitive fitting of a set of snow chains; against the clock, after a 1 minute read of the instructions. ;D

;D ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #23 on: 19 November 2011, 22:46:42 »

Only caveat I`ve found (over several years of regular use) with fitting tyre-chains is that when reaching `round the back of the tyres to couple the cable-loop, the wheel arches/mud-flaps are usually absolutely filthy with road-salt/grime residue after driving on snowy and gritted roads......so, have an old coat or water-proof to hand in the boot; one with long sleeves that you wont mind getting dirty!.....also carry an old bit of carpet to kneel on when fitting the chains. :y

good advice Debs..  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 November 2011, 22:56:07 »

.... after a 1 minute read of the instructions. ;D

You've forgotten that the majority of the forum is male ............... we don't read instructions!!!!!!!!  ::) ::) ::) ::)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #25 on: 19 November 2011, 23:01:34 »

I think before purchasing this discussion will give enough idea about pros and cons of chain vs winter tires

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/pros-cons-of-tire-chains-vs-snow-tires-teach-me/16847/page1/

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 November 2011, 23:24:04 »

A very good point was made " a set of four snows and steel wheels will cost about as much as a fender" . And my current excess is  £400  :o

Mind you, I almost have it covered. We allow flexi time at work, and I have built up over 50hrs so far. So if it snows and I can't get out my close, I phone in and take a day's holiday.  :y  Simple  ;D

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 November 2011, 10:33:26 »

thing is if you don'y buy now...when they mention snow there will be as readily available as rocking horse s#@t :y
I don't think we'll have a harsh winter this year  :-X

I dont think Chains have a best before date :y
I can't get any anyway, no friggin Lidl around these parts...

Eh, there is one in Bicester?
Oh yeah, forgot new one in Bicester.  I try to avoid Bicester like the plague. Its on a chavtastic par with Banbury.

Still, its still a 25m round trip.
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #28 on: 21 November 2011, 00:30:44 »

Range Rover or not methinks these need to be purchased after last years debacle......just in case..
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

fiend61

• Omega Knight
  • york
  • each to their own
    • 2.5cdx 3.0mv6 3.2vec c
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 November 2011, 08:29:48 »

Still, its still a 25m round trip

even so TB better to do it now than when there is a foot of white stuff on the road   :y :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.