Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: temperature gauge not working  (Read 1239 times)

gibby

• braintree
    • View Profile
temperature gauge not working
« on: 02 December 2011, 23:06:39 »

:-\ the temperature gauge not working soon after changing head gasket on my omega 2.2l  z22xe 2001. there is a female wire behind the engine but no where to plug it. there is also a hissing sound from the inlet manifold side. also there is one cylinder head bolt, the first one driver's side seems not holding tight,: is it possible just to replace this bolt only? despite all these issues the vehcle is running smoothly. pliz help. gibby

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: temperature gauge not working
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2011, 23:09:04 »

The temp wire is an easy fix, it just plugs on to a small sensor.... I'm more worried about the head bolt.

How do you know it's not holding tight?

Did you tighten it to the same spec as the others? Does it just feel as though it's turning and not tightening? (Hope to goodness the thread in the block is ok!)

This is the priority...

gibby

• braintree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2011, 23:23:59 »

The temp wire is an easy fix, it just plugs on to a small sensor.... I'm more worried about the head bolt.

How do you know it's not holding tight?

Did you tighten it to the same spec as the others? Does it just feel as though it's turning and not tightening? (Hope to goodness the thread in the block is ok!)

This is the priority...
hello sir, yes I did torque the same as others. (25nm, 3x90 deg, then 15 deg but at third stage the bolt was not really holding, pliz advise. again, so where is this sensor located, is it at the back or front of the engine?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2011, 23:32:25 »

... so where is this sensor located, is it at the back or front of the engine?

Right at the back.  :y

this is a 2.0 hence the DIS pack, but apparently your 2.2 is similar  :y

gibby

• braintree
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2011, 23:44:03 »

... so where is this sensor located, is it at the back or front of the engine?

Right at the back.  :y

this is a 2.0 hence the DIS pack, but apparently your 2.2 is similar  :y

Thx, I actually so it but was not sure about it. I will try to fix it this morning

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2011, 04:53:24 »

:-\ Sounds like that bolt hole might have had some water in it and when you tried to tighten it it 'hydraulicked' and stripped the threads in the block. Its never the bolt threads. It can be repaired by the use of a helicoil but the head has to come back off which would mean a new gasket. The head bolts should all have been replaced with new ones anyway.
As for the temp guage, its a simple matter of locating the temp sensor and reconnecting the wire to it as already shown.
Hope bad news does not come in 3s for you...........
GudLuk  :y
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

gibby

• braintree
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2011, 08:50:00 »

:-\ Sounds like that bolt hole might have had some water in it and when you tried to tighten it it 'hydraulicked' and stripped the threads in the block. Its never the bolt threads. It can be repaired by the use of a helicoil but the head has to come back off which would mean a new gasket. The head bolts should all have been replaced with new ones anyway.
As for the temp guage, its a simple matter of locating the temp sensor and reconnecting the wire to it as already shown.
Good morning sir, thax very much for the picture and the advice on the front head bolt. how does the HELICOIL WORK ? Cna I do it myself or it need experts? this bolt is not really loose, can I try to use the vehicle on observation to see what will happen or I should just pack it?

gibby

• braintree
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2011, 15:31:33 »

hello sir, thax very much I did follow ur instructions now the temp gauge is woking perfectly. thax very much for the picture and the advice on the front head bolt. how does the HELICOIL WORK ? Can I do it myself or it need experts? this bolt is not really loose, can I try to use the vehicle on observation to see what will happen or I should just pack it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.