Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Artex - the aftermath  (Read 4583 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Artex - the aftermath
« on: 06 January 2012, 22:47:50 »

When we bought our present house it was a mortgage repo and needed decoration top to toe.  And it got it.

The then current fashion 'must have' was artexed ceilings. Managed to dissuade her from artex on the walls, thank goodness but she managed to get all (and I mean ALL) roofs done in a 4 bed house....).

Question is, looks fine in bedrooms and toilets and stuff, but the lounge/dining room needs re-decorated overall.  Would it be easier but messier to remove plasterboard roofing panels in entirety or knock biggest lumps off and simply place new boards on top of existing?  House is 1960's ex-council stylee - big rooms but bog standard ceiling height - so, what does the group experience of OOF recommend?

I know what I intend to do but interested in the 'professional'/experienced DIY type comments...    :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: Artex - the aftermath
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2012, 22:52:03 »

When we bought our present house it was a mortgage repo and needed decoration top to toe.  And it got it.

The then current fashion 'must have' was artexed ceilings. Managed to dissuade her from artex on the walls, thank goodness but she managed to get all (and I mean ALL) roofs done in a 4 bed house....).

Question is, looks fine in bedrooms and toilets and stuff, but the lounge/dining room needs re-decorated overall.  Would it be easier but messier to remove plasterboard roofing panels in entirety or knock biggest lumps off and simply place new boards on top of existing?  House is 1960's ex-council stylee - big rooms but bog standard ceiling height - so, what does the group experience of OOF recommend?

I know what I intend to do but interested in the 'professional'/experienced DIY type comments...    :y
Easiest way B
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2012, 22:53:06 »

In my last place one ceiling had been artexed and they just nailed plasterboard below and skimmed it. Nice and quick and hides things, until I came to rewire it :-X

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2012, 22:54:14 »

Get yer Stokie offspring up with a block of sandpaper, it should keep him out of mischief for a while.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2012, 22:54:51 »

Easiest way B

But the question is, does it look like what it is, i.e. boards on top of a crappy surface??

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2012, 22:55:36 »

Get yer Stokie offspring up with a block of sandpaper, it should keep him out of mischief for a while.
That was seriously considered, alongwith a hooley bar and a hoover.....   ;D

edit to explain what a hooley bar is, for the uninitiated....   :y

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2010/09/03/halligan-hooligan-bar/
« Last Edit: 06 January 2012, 23:03:44 by hotel21 »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2012, 22:59:21 »

If you intend to cover, and the existing is "solid" .. ie not falling off just unsightly, why not just have the whole thing skimmed by a competent plasterer ?? Unless the pattern is very deep a skim would cover it all over without reducing ceiling height  ??

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2012, 23:03:19 »

The sitting room is quite subdued whilst the dining room is more the Alps style.  Sadly they are joined into an 'L' shape so one runs into the other.

I am currently favouring complete removal and reboarding/replastering as that way, we will get a nice flat ceiling without incursion into roof height and/or feeling like the ceiling is the reflection of the sea in a force 8 swell....

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2012, 23:05:03 »

If you intend to cover, and the existing is "solid" .. ie not falling off just unsightly, why not just have the whole thing skimmed by a competent plasterer ?? Unless the pattern is very deep a skim would cover it all over without reducing ceiling height  ??

That maybe the best way to go Broocie some earlie artexing contained large amounts of asbestos. Not the stuff you want to start disturbing by ripping out.
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2012, 23:09:15 »

That maybe the best way to go Broocie some earlie artexing contained large amounts of asbestos. Not the stuff you want to start disturbing by ripping out.
Noted Tony, thanks.  Job done circa 1991/1992 with a product called Newtex Gold.  Just done a quick and dirty google and it appears that it is asbestos heavy so perhaps not the best of stuff to rip out willy nilly.   :'(

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2012, 23:20:08 »

Noted Tony, thanks.  Job done circa 1991/1992 with a product called Newtex Gold.  Just done a quick and dirty google and it appears that it is asbestos heavy so perhaps not the best of stuff to rip out willy nilly.   :'(

One of my neibours had artexing removed that contained asbestos the room and windows  had to be sheeted up, the debree put in special bags and specially disposed of which added considerably to the cost of the re furbishment of the room
« Last Edit: 06 January 2012, 23:24:22 by Tony H »
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2012, 23:21:49 »

One of my neibours had artexing removed that contained asbestos the room and windows  had to sheeted up, the debree put in special bags and disposed of which added considerably to the cost of the re feurbishment
Not wanting to sound too hardnosed but I suppose its down to what and how you do the job.....   :-X

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2012, 23:23:29 »

Yes the mess created ripping down a ceiling, is a lot, whereas putting up new boards below and a quick skim, and it doesn't matter too much how accurate you will not notice.

Ken

PS sell the place soon after, just like a car  :y

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2012, 23:27:51 »

That was seriously considered, alongwith a hooley bar and a hoover.....   ;D

edit to explain what a hooley bar is, for the uninitiated....   :y

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2010/09/03/halligan-hooligan-bar/

Funnily enough my son got me one of these as an Xmas present http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2008/04/16/stanley-fatmax-xtreme-fubar-utility-bar/

I wonder why ?.

Ken

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2012, 23:28:32 »

My thoughts were .. artex is not "flat" by definition ... therefore putting new boards over the existing artex and getting a level surface on all boards is going to be somewhat tricky.... :(

Assuming your existing surface is decent, and the ceiling is not distorted due to movement of the present boards, then a skim - done properly - would give a uniform flat surface.. ?

:(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.