Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Whoever thought...  (Read 2584 times)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Whoever thought...
« on: 28 January 2012, 19:39:21 »

that this picture would be a good way of demonstrating the handling capabilities on an Omega.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Omega-Elite-Press-Photo-1999-/120707458559?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item1c1ab9a5ff#ht_500wt_1054

Look at that body roll  :o
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Whoever thought...
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2012, 19:56:06 »

Even with standard suspension - well, maybe not Elite suspension ;D - it can handle very well.  Being RWD, it simply doesn't need to be as back jarring as FWD shitboxes.  You get a better compromise with high comfort and capable handling.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2012, 20:12:36 »

On standard Elite suspension it is actually quite capable, you just have to throw it into corners twice... Once for the body and then for the chassis ;D ;D

That said, I now realise how soggy it is as I rarely drive it (the saloon it replaced was very soggy, that replaced a Range Rover which :-X :-X) so it needs replacing ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2012, 20:19:20 »

how sad am i...that car is a 3.0 and still on the road  ;D

albitz

« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2012, 20:37:47 »

Thats what Omegas do - lots of body roll. Hes pressing on though.The inside front wheel is almost off the deck. ;)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2012, 20:44:56 »

At least Omegas dont go through Antiroll bars like my Skudo does.....a new one required every 40k or so.....well its actually the bushes that wear.....but you have to buy the rollbar to get the bushes.....maybe its way i drive it  ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2012, 23:40:21 »

Mines getting pretty soggy! If there was a photo of me taking a corner like that, it'd look more like a 2CV...  ::)  Gonna have to start perusing the bushes guides before MOT time....  :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
  • "If you can't CONVINCE them, CONFUSE them"!!
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2012, 03:53:36 »

On standard Elite suspension it is actually quite capable, you just have to throw it into corners twice... Once for the body and then for the chassis ;D ;D

That said, I now realise how soggy it is as I rarely drive it (the saloon it replaced was very soggy, that replaced a Range Rover which :-X :-X) so it needs replacing ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D

and what a picture to put on the front though  :y :y :y

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2012, 08:45:31 »

You know what, I was going to post that exact picture, if i could have found it again, in one of the guides as to why firmer suspension is required if you like to crack on. Especially in relation to the angle of the inside wheels in realtion to the road. The inside edge is being scrubbed all the way round that corner.
 Elite suspension has its place for comfort, but if your average corner speed is high enough to roll the chassis it WILL induce "clown car" handling as the tyre profile rounds off. A flat square profile is needed to keep a car straight IME.

(now add in Falken tyres which are devoid of any straight line stability from new, and we start to see how very badly an Elite omega can handle)

So yes that's not the best pic to advertise your car with, it may "look" fast, but only because of the angle of the chassis. Pmsl ;D

Well done D. Good spot. :y

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2012, 13:32:09 »

You know what, I was going to post that exact picture, if i could have found it again, in one of the guides as to why firmer suspension is required if you like to crack on. Especially in relation to the angle of the inside wheels in realtion to the road. The inside edge is being scrubbed all the way round that corner.
 Elite suspension has its place for comfort, but if your average corner speed is high enough to roll the chassis it WILL induce "clown car" handling as the tyre profile rounds off. A flat square profile is needed to keep a car straight IME.

(now add in Falken tyres which are devoid of any straight line stability from new, and we start to see how very badly an Elite omega can handle)

So yes that's not the best pic to advertise your car with, it may "look" fast, but only because of the angle of the chassis. Pmsl ;D

Don't get me started on Falken tyres!  Suspension becomes irrelevant with them on the car! :(

Oh and our cars are permanently at that angle with Jimbob in the passenger seat!  ::) ::)
Been there, fallen over it!

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2012, 14:40:51 »

Don't get me started on Falken tyres!  Suspension becomes irrelevant with them on the car! :(

Oh and our cars are permanently at that angle with Jimbob in the passenger seat!  ::) ::)
ooooooooooh  ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2012, 14:53:53 »

I think that merits a ban  ::) ;D ;D

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2012, 15:05:37 »

Good idea...Banned until she makes it up to me :¬)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2012, 18:30:44 »

Funny how nobody mentioned the most important part before criticising which is just how fast was it going? Just because a car rolls a lot doesn't mean it handles badly. Jags roll a fair bit when pressing on, but need a hell of a lot of speed before it becomes a problem. A hard driven Discovery or Range Rover is hysterical to watch, but within it's performance still has the wheels under control. My Elite doesn't turn in as well as the 525 I used to have, but I wouldn't say it handles worse.

And lets not forget the Omega is simply a big comfortable saloon, not a Lotus.

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2012, 15:53:39 »

Good idea...Banned until she makes it up to me :¬)

Crushed! ::)

Ban over....yay! ;D
Been there, fallen over it!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.