Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 temp gauge on zero and heating not very hot  (Read 4526 times)

Corrado1441

• N.Ireland
    • Vauxhall Omega Elite
    • View Profile
Re: V6 temp gauge on zero and heating not very hot
« Reply #45 on: 06 February 2012, 00:33:57 »

I need to do my thermostat so am ordering the one off eBay that comes with the new housing and seal, my query is what other parts will I need done that area ?
And also the transfer pipe the guides mention, does it need replacing or just the o-ring/seal between it and the thermostat housing ?

Thanks for your help

albitz

« Reply #46 on: 06 February 2012, 05:00:18 »

2 o-rings for the transfer pipe and that should be it. While your in there though,inspect everything else and check for leaks.Oil cooler cover plate is known to leak sometimes,so wouldnt do any harm to have a tube of the correct sealant to hand in case you need it,although I paid almost £14 for a tube of it at VX a couple of weeks ago,so might be worth whipping the plenum/manifold/sandwich plate off and having a look before doing the thermostat.That way if you discover you need to reseal the plate,you could reassemble until you get the sealant. Also check the coolant bridge where it bolts to the heads,as they have been known to leak occassionally as well.Basically,just clean everything up and have a good look around before you start removing the stat and transfer pipe.
Good luck with the bastid bolt btw,swear box at the ready. ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 06 February 2012, 09:05:03 »

If ordering the 2 rubber "0" ring seals for the coolant pipe to heater matrix,have  a very large drink first as VX charge £3=36 each for them. >:(.

Trouble is for the amount of effort required to get to them it is hardly worth skimping on the correct part,but over £7=00 for 2 small rubber seals is nothing short of criminal :(

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 06 February 2012, 09:06:02 »

The transfer pipe has a habit of oxidating and can break during removal which will leave you stranded your local Vauxhall dealer will have to order one in. IIRC they are about £12 and include the 2 O rings
Retired

martin42

« Reply #49 on: 06 February 2012, 15:04:51 »

cheaper and easier to order the pipe just incase then,i shall have to do this at the end of month when im off

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 06 February 2012, 15:30:22 »

With all this talk about thermostat issues,what is the life span of a thermostat then ?

Reason for asking is I assume a brand new thermosta would work noticeably better than one which has been in car for atleast 6 years or 130k so is it worth the effort in this part being replaced just for extra peace of mind. Now I am not dreaming up work or changing parts for parts sake but if venturing inside the V of the engine for the extra bit of work would it be a wise part to replace

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06 February 2012, 16:26:53 »

I purchased a thermostat and housing last year for my 2.5 1996 but never fitted it .Will this be ok for my 2003 2.6.

Corrado1441

• N.Ireland
    • Vauxhall Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 February 2012, 22:57:07 »

Anyone got a part number for the transfer pipe ?
What about the 3 red o-rings that go between the black plate and the manifold that is attached to the plenum, are they worth replacing or just grease up, I going on the fact it's a 1996 car and they maybe have never been changed even though the cam cover gaskets were done 15k miles ago.

Thanks

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06 February 2012, 23:01:16 »

With all this talk about thermostat issues,what is the life span of a thermostat then ? .....

After 8 yrs of ownership I replaced mine the other week, I assume it was the original. The car is 13 yrs old this summer with 175k miles.  ;) ;) ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 06 February 2012, 23:04:47 »

I purchased a thermostat and housing last year for my 2.5 1996 but never fitted it .Will this be ok for my 2003 2.6.

Can't see why not. The only thing I've heard of that's different is the thickness of the housing flange could be thinner on the new one (mine was the same as the old part  :-\), so you need either, shorter bolts (hacksaw  ;))or a couple of washers under each bolt head to prevent the bolts from 'bottoming out' before they tighten the 'stat housing to the block.  :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 07 February 2012, 17:21:17 »

thanks Andy will check thickness prior to fitting when the weather improves.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.