Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: If you had £495 for a cheap car......  (Read 2533 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: If you had £495 for a cheap car......
« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2012, 09:56:12 »

come on then lets all join the que to knock the  british cars.

British cars of that era had a right to be knocked .......... they were mostly crap!  ::) ::)

I suppose some people would argue that's 'our' (England's) problem - unlike some other countries who will "BUY <country>!" regardless of whether it's the best quality, best price or best executed idea purely because they want to support national business, we buy based on price (mostly) or quality & execution (sometimes) .. so we buy everyone else's crap but not our own.

I don't subscribe to that, personally, but..
We know have a mentality of retards in this country, where BUY BMW and not consider anything else.

Apologies to all those who have a BMW...  ...but serves you right :P ;D
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2012, 09:57:34 »

Obviously, it slowly blew away, and in the end,

;D ;D ;D Took me a second..

I had a much later 'Rover' Metro - 1.4 diesel, which was woefully underpowered and thanks to the giant boat anchor up front had a tendency to go straight on at corners. Although it caught me out one day by not doing so, and I found myself driving up the grass verge on the inside of a bend (and being a new driver promptly shat myself, stamped on the brakes, shot across the road and ended up in the opposite ditch .. accident investigation concluded that the front subframe had rusted in half some time ago resulting in a major loss of wheel control - the car was only three years old!)

Had a Rover 218D, the boxy one with the NA Pug engine too - but that doesn't count as it was basically a Honda with a crap engine slung in. Did the same thing in corners, though - straight on.

And of course the Austin Allegro .. though despite that being a woeful car I still love it to this day. First car n'all that.

(My dad had a string of Austin Minis, a Traveller with a porous block, a B reg Metro in sh*t 'gold', a D reg (I think) Maestro and later a Rover Metro again..)

We know have a mentality of retards in this country, where BUY BMW and not consider anything else.

Apologies to all those who have a BMW...  ...but serves you right :P ;D

According to WhatCar it's now cheaper to own & drive a BMW or VWAG car than a Honda..

feeutfo

« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2012, 10:01:56 »

come on then lets all join the que to knock the  british cars.

British cars of that era had a right to be knocked .......... they were mostly crap!  ::) ::)

I suppose some people would argue that's 'our' (England's) problem - unlike some other countries who will "BUY <FRENCH>!" regardless of whether it's the best quality, best price or best executed idea purely because they want to support national business, we buy based on price (mostly) or quality & execution (sometimes) .. so we buy everyone else's crap but not our own.

I don't subscribe to that, personally, but..
They are the same with hire cars. French only. Even if it's a Spanish hire company.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 February 2012, 10:15:34 »

I had a much later 'Rover' Metro - 1.4 diesel, which was woefully underpowered and thanks to the giant boat anchor up front had a tendency to go straight on at corners. Although it caught me out one day by not doing so, and I found myself driving up the grass verge on the inside of a bend (and being a new driver promptly shat myself, stamped on the brakes, shot across the road and ended up in the opposite ditch .. accident investigation concluded that the front subframe had rusted in half some time ago resulting in a major loss of wheel control - the car was only three years old!)
Mrs TB's had had a new subframe, due to her brother wrapping it around a lamppost a few days before I met her (and she'd had her Honda scooter nicked the same week - no wonder she was a miserable cow :P)

Had a Rover 218D, the boxy one with the NA Pug engine too - but that doesn't count as it was basically a Honda with a crap engine slung in. Did the same thing in corners, though - straight on.
Had a 216GSi, great car, not exactly prone to masses of understeer (it handled like a FWD car), but what a gorgeous engine! Every bit as quick as the Astra GTE it replaced, and was able to handle bends reasonably well. It had a 3rd gear that was ideal from about 30mph to about 110mph (no rev limiter).  Its biggest downside was no PAS, and 25mpg ::). I bought it at 40k, had it for ages (although didn't use it much once Mrs TB started getting company lease scheme cars), gave to my brother at 80k, he did nothing other than put some tyres on it for an MOT, and scrapped it just shy of 140k, after using it as a pick-up truck when rebuilding his house. I borrowed it just before it was scrapped, and it still went like the clappers - although 3rd gear had developed a whine ::)

When I say nothing, I really do mean nothing. Not even an oil change.

And of course the Austin Allegro .. though despite that being a woeful car I still love it to this day. First car n'all that.
As you say, woeful!
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 17 February 2012, 10:26:08 »

We couldn't figure out the subframe on the Metro - it was one (elderly lady!) owner before it came to the company, and there was no recorded accident history or anything like that. It also had a FSH, so how the garage hadn't noticed a gaping hole in the subframe, I don't know...

I think the only reason the 218D I had went straight on everywhere was the (again) boat anchor up front.. it was ridiculously heavy to steer when parking, too, as it also had no PAS - though it wasn't a problem once you were moving. But then no car I'd had up to that point had PAS ..

.. after I'd been driving a P-reg Astra 2.0 Sport for a while (company car, as were the two Rovers) and then borrowed someone's 218D though, by gods! I felt like popeye before he'd had his spinach ;D Understeer was no longer a problem, but not being able to get enough lock on quickly for tight corners was ;D

buttsy19

• gateshead
    • omega 2.2 cd, mini cooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 February 2012, 14:35:55 »

& bought this you deserve to be taken out the back & shot...probably tortured & beaten first to prolong the agony as you'd bloody well deserve it. This is'nt & never will be a classic & is'nt worth half the asking price with a years ticket. Saggy hydrolastics, rotten to the core (they were from new). I know £495 does'nt buy much nowadays but this is'nt worth it's listing fee. FANTASY ISLAND!!!!!! ::)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-AUSTIN-METRO-CITY-X-GREY-NO-MOT-TAX-/120860783514?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c23dd339a

I bought my miggy for less than this.
If it aint broke, break it, then fix it

adey2

• nuneaton, warwickshire
  • if all else fails hit it with a hammer
    • 2000 3.0 elite estate lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 February 2012, 14:50:03 »

v6 locking kit , code reader available, engine hoist and engine stand

also has 2.6 mv6 estate 2001, hilux surf 3.0, vectra 2.0 lpg 2000

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 February 2012, 20:30:01 »

Kin ell, thats 10 mins down the road from me  :y

Time to creep to swmbo  ;)

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • 2001 2.6 CD Auto Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 February 2012, 21:56:49 »

Thats a nice Mig for 500 quid, I bought mine from Ebay and couldnt have been happier, had it just over a year now and got another years ticket at the end of December, I will definitly buy another one from ebay as long as it's not too far from me, I had about a 100 mile round trip when I picked mine up.

albitz

« Reply #24 on: 17 February 2012, 22:10:05 »

It sold almost as soon as it was listed. ;)

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 February 2012, 22:28:32 »

its a god damn shame.i followed patriotism and bought a disco and spent most of my time fixing the bugger,then i bought an isuzu and its been faultless.i can fully see the dont knock british cars theyre ours and personally i love them,i love marinas,minis,maxis,dolomites,SD1,and so on but when foreign cars were more economical and reliable that speaks alot.if i had my way england would be full of brits and we would all own jags and astons and the only other car you would see would be a yugo zastava and that would be a foreigner over he on holiday

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 February 2012, 22:33:00 »

I have had loads of British cars over the years, Loved Fords and Minis but the best British car I have ever owned and run was a 1989 Rover 827, it was a flying machine and I never had any handling problems :y :y :y Bought a later 820 and that was garbage, engine and gearbox were terrible, soon got rid of that one ::) ::)................others may have different opinions.... :P :P :P

OOMV6

« Reply #27 on: 17 February 2012, 22:38:33 »

I have had loads of British cars over the years, Loved Fords and Minis but the best British car I have ever owned and run was a 1989 Rover 827, it was a flying machine and I never had any handling problems :y :y :y Bought a later 820 and that was garbage, engine and gearbox were terrible, soon got rid of that one ::) ::)................others may have different opinions.... :P :P :P

???

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 February 2012, 23:31:39 »

???

When I was younger they were built in Britain...... :P :P

albitz

« Reply #29 on: 17 February 2012, 23:53:28 »

Dagenham Dustbins. :y ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.