Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: air con got me scratching my head!!  (Read 5414 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: air con got me scratching my head!!
« Reply #15 on: 06 July 2014, 22:43:16 »

Cant answer question regarding operation as our car models are different and I am unsure of how the buttons etc work on your car.

My climate will produce chilled air almost as soon as it is engaged but it will chill further with recirculation mode engaged although Omegas dont have the greatest system so be realistic about how chilled a hot car in full sun will get to  :y
:-\ :-\ :-\

That button with an 'A' on the climate dash  ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 July 2014, 22:47:53 »

Due to it not pulling further warmer air into the system it just recirculates whats already there.

Also usefull to stop nasty wiffs from entering the car if following something chucking out fumes  ;)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 July 2014, 23:05:52 »

What does it do when the A is inside the circle, Automatically detect bad air ?  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 July 2014, 23:19:30 »

What does it do when the A is inside the circle, Automatically detect bad air ?  :-\

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Please read the manual  ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 07 July 2014, 00:28:38 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Please read the manual  ;)
Harsh, but in a word yes, which is why the facelift should have the more expensive active charcoal pollen filter rather than the £4 white one ::)

dandor

• skipton
    • Omega CDX 2.6V6 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 July 2014, 08:52:03 »

Ahh, well that's strange. As part of trying to diagnose the auction problem I looked at my filter and it's a white paper one. Could that be the problem?

mickyboy123

• Intermediate Member
  • brighton
  • hi
    • 2.2 cd omega.petrol auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 July 2014, 09:24:24 »

just for your refrence i took mine to vauxhall main dealer, becoze of bad stories i heard about halfords, and it was only 20 pound dearer than halfords, worth the extra to no it was done as it should be, :y

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 07 July 2014, 12:23:59 »

Ahh, well that's strange. As part of trying to diagnose the auction problem I looked at my filter and it's a white paper one. Could that be the problem?
In reality no :y your problem is most likely due to the fekwit at Halfords.

All facelift have climate control which is designed to work at its best with a charcoal pollen filter. The white filters are meant for all pre facelift cars without ECC, ie any that don't have digital temp displays on the heater  controls...

People end up fitting the white filters to cars that should have the charcoal ones for two reasons...

1. Parts staff are too lazy to confirm the correct part (they're the same size).
2. The charcoal ones are three times the price.

Fitting a white filter to a facelift only means that the system won't filter smells/fumes... will still catch pollen and dust though :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 July 2014, 13:37:52 »

Also, there is a strange but not alarming noise coming from behind the glove box when I switch it on. The best way to describe it is like a secondry fan that fluctuates its speed slightly. Could this have anything to do with it? Like I say the aircon has never worked so I dont know what is normal on the omega.
The A/C cabin fan is behind the glove box, there are also some servo motors that open and close temperature control flaps.
It is just possible (but unlikely) that your system now has enough refrigerant gas but isn't working because a servo has become detached. There are separate servos for driver and passenger side so the fault usually only affects one side of the car.
Have you seen the maintenance guides?

Aircon working only one side - how I cured it!

How to Repair Facelift Climate Control Issue DRIVERSIDE (with pictures)

Maintenance Guide Index
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 July 2014, 13:56:28 »

Also behind the glove box is the aircon expansion valve, when there is issues with the system, this can whistle!

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 07 July 2014, 14:06:23 »

Surely the first priority is to get it regassed by a competent place ::)

From the way you described the process used, it's no wonder it isn't working. Get it gassed properly then see if it works :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 July 2014, 14:10:04 »

Correct its not been gassed properly but, the fact the clutch pulls in tells us that it has gas and is not under or over pressured  :y

But yes, it is useful to see max and min pressures when operating etc and its good to know the right amount of gas is in there.

It does surprise me that Halfords are allowed to do such jobs actually.

« Last Edit: 07 July 2014, 14:12:29 by Marks DTM Calib »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 July 2014, 14:49:09 »

Yes, isn't it an offence to fill a leaking air con system with refrigerant?

Said Halfraud had no way to check for leaks, so shouldn't have been attempting to fill it, notwithstanding the fact that you can't do the job properly with a can of refrigerant and a gauge anyway.

Always a line of argument you can try if they don't give you a refund, which you're entitled to, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 07 July 2014, 17:46:07 »

Charcoal filter part number is...

93165208 :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 July 2014, 18:50:38 »

Completely agree with Mark/Kev in that I'm very surprised they even offer that service.

A/C work's pretty involved and shouldn't just be the ''dump it in'' approach that seems to have been taken.

Based on the minimal knowledge on it I have I would say it's a very good sign that your compressor is kicking in and also that you have pressure (presume the Hellfrauds punk pressed the schrader valve quickly to see if it was holding pressure????)

Anyways it needs to be vacuumed down before dumping in refrigerant 1. because that will confirm there are no leaks and 2. it removes all moisture from the system.

Take it to a qualified A/C guy. Was at one time going to attempt to do it myself but only once I knew the system had been evacuated by an expert and there were definitely no leaks. However even adding the refrigerant is going to be a ball ache due to exact amounts of refrigerant required plus exact amount of PAG oil needed. 
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.