Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Central Heating playing up!!! Brrr!!!  (Read 14343 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Central Heating playing up!!! Brrr!!!
« Reply #45 on: 10 November 2016, 16:00:17 »

Potterton Profile conventional boiler, with hot water tank next to it and feed and expansion tank in the loft.

The boiler seems to run fine for a while and all the radiators get hot, but then it will give a big gurgle and shuts down.  :-\  This also happens when heating water, but the gurgle is worse and the boiler shuts down more often!  Sounds like there is a lot of air in the pipes around the boiler and hot water tank.  :-\

I've bled all the rads and they're fine, I've opened the bleed valve above the 3 way valve and that was fine, and I've checked the feed and expansion tank and that's OK, the pump appears to be running OK, and apart from draining down the system and refilling it I'm out of ideas!  :-\

Might there be an airlock somewhere in the pipes around the boiler and hot water tank? 

Any advice appreciated please!  I'm bleddy freezing!!  :o  :D

TIA!  :y
Sounds to me as though the pump is sticking - running OK when cold but seizing when it gets hot. In hot water mode the system gets hotter quicker hence the shorter intervals between gurgles.

The primary cause of pumps sticking is a build up of magnetite (black sludge), a magnetic form of iron oxide that gets attracted to the magnetic field in the pump motor.

If the pump is running at all then you should be able to unscrew the bleed screw (with a bowl under it) and watch a trickle of black sludge dribble out followed by cleaner water as the magnetite gets washed out.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 10 November 2016, 17:56:53 »

Very common for the rubber washer in a drain cock to weld itself in place - you might have to pull the guts out with a pair of pliers or mole/vice grips to get things flowing.

I poked a bit of wire in it and managed to get it dribbling but as soon as I pulled the wire out it stopped again.  :(  I guess it's just perseverance and willingness to get wet and make a mess!  ::)

Sounds to me as though the pump is sticking - running OK when cold but seizing when it gets hot. In hot water mode the system gets hotter quicker hence the shorter intervals between gurgles.

The primary cause of pumps sticking is a build up of magnetite (black sludge), a magnetic form of iron oxide that gets attracted to the magnetic field in the pump motor.

If the pump is running at all then you should be able to unscrew the bleed screw (with a bowl under it) and watch a trickle of black sludge dribble out followed by cleaner water as the magnetite gets washed out.

I've removed the bleed screw Andy and all I've had is clean water dribbling out.  :(

It's been a frustrating day!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 10 November 2016, 18:28:40 »

So it looks as though I've got big problems here.  :( 

I can't drain the system!  As I write I have 2 drain cocks open with hoses going outside with nothing coming out!

If I open bleed valves on the radiators water comes out and I've tried sucking/blowing down the hoses with no success.  It looks like it's clogged up solid
... :-\

What happens when the header tank is left open to fill the system.... I think probably nothing will happen...I think the reason nothing is coming out when your draining the system....is theres little water in it, apart from whats in the rads....so if buggar all comes out of the drain pipes, when the header tank is left open to fill the system...it certainly points to a blocked cold water feed  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10 November 2016, 18:47:11 »

I think Andy's right in that the draincock washers have welded themselves in place, as when I've poked them water comes out and there's pressure there too!  :y

I don't think it's gunk blocking the draincocks either as I tried back flushing them with the hose, but I think I was just pressing the washer more firmly in place!  ::)

Also I managed to get about half a bucket out while poking the draincocks with a piece of wire and the level in the header tank went down, so that's a good sign as well!  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10 November 2016, 19:26:53 »

I think Andy's right in that the draincock washers have welded themselves in place, as when I've poked them water comes out and there's pressure there too!  :y

I don't think it's gunk blocking the draincocks either as I tried back flushing them with the hose, but I think I was just pressing the washer more firmly in place!  ::)

Also I managed to get about half a bucket out while poking the draincocks with a piece of wire and the level in the header tank went down, so that's a good sign as well!  :y

These washers are replaceable, just remove the whole screw to do so. Plumbers usually use the cheaper drain cocks with no locking ring, but in each case the washers are replaceable. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 10 November 2016, 19:39:28 »

These washers are replaceable, just remove the whole screw to do so. Plumbers usually use the cheaper drain cocks with no locking ring, but in each case the washers are replaceable. :y

Yes I will replace the washers, but I'd rather remove the water first though!  :o  ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10 November 2016, 19:42:20 »

Yes I will replace the washers, but I'd rather remove the water first though!  :o  ;D

Ah sorry, I thought you were suggesting that the washers were blocking the outlet. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 10 November 2016, 21:24:49 »

Ah sorry, I thought you were suggesting that the washers were blocking the outlet. :y

Yes I think they are, but hopefully I can dislodge them enough to drain down the system without making too much mess.  ;)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 10 November 2016, 21:29:05 »

I've removed the bleed screw Andy and all I've had is clean water dribbling out.  :(

It's been a frustrating day!  ::)
I am wondering if the water side of the system is actually OK :-\

In my last house I had a Potterton Prima boiler and Y plan controls. In 15 years the circuit board in the boiler failed once but the 3 port valve actuator failed 3 times.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 10 November 2016, 22:07:38 »

In my last house I had a Potterton Prima boiler and Y plan controls. In 15 years the circuit board in the boiler failed once but the 3 port valve actuator failed 3 times.

PCBs are poorly made on these. Replace the caps with 105C rated types and resolder all the mains connections and they are fine thereafter.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 10 November 2016, 22:54:46 »

PCBs are poorly made on these. Replace the caps with 105C rated types and resolder all the mains connections and they are fine thereafter.

Yes this one's had 3 PCB's and a 3 way valve, which I don't think is bad for a 23 year old system.  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 11 November 2016, 09:09:18 »

Yes this one's had 3 PCB's and a 3 way valve, which I don't think is bad for a 23 year old system.  :y

You never need to replace the PCB on these, a bit of soldering and 80p of capacitors and they are good for another 8-10 years

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 11 November 2016, 10:58:30 »

Didn't I offer to fix a PCB for you once? Offer still stands next time I'm in Salwayash (which might well be into the new year by now).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 11 November 2016, 12:06:57 »

Didn't I offer to fix a PCB for you once? Offer still stands next time I'm in Salwayash (which might well be into the new year by now).

Yes you did! I forgot about that.  Thanks!  :y

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 11 November 2016, 18:28:20 »

Yes this one's had 3 PCB's and a 3 way valve, which I don't think is bad for a 23 year old system:y

Bout time you bought a new boiler then.....a quick google on your boiler shows its only about 70% efficient  ::) :)
But I guess it depends how long you intend to live in the property  :-\

Have you sorted the problem?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.