Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading fog lights/main beam  (Read 4880 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: upgrading fog lights/main beam
« Reply #30 on: 04 December 2009, 16:54:38 »

To be fair though, the green 5W bulb aint gonna blind anyone, and the main beam doesn`t appear to give out much more

:(

...and if they're anything like the Westfield supplied ones they are self adjusting too.  8-) The offside one automatically aligns itself to illuminate the cays eyes about 8 ft in front of the car and the nearside one floodlights a point about 20ft up in the trees beside the road. ::)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 December 2009, 16:56:20 »

Just thinking . . . .

Berry head Lighthouse is just down the road . . .

I wonder where he gets his bulbs . . . . invertor . . .

nope, better stop there, as I fear Cruisetopoland may have now collapsed 

;D

Up on the desks.  All of you.

START SINGING OR I'M GONNA KICK OFF

lalalalalalaaaa llaallaaaaaallla

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • 2.0 pre face, 2.2 CDX est
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 December 2009, 16:57:43 »

To be fair though, the green 5W bulb aint gonna blind anyone, and the main beam doesn`t appear to give out much more

...and if they're anything like the Westfield supplied ones they are self adjusting too.  8-) The offside one automatically aligns itself to illuminate the cays eyes about 8 ft in front of the car and the nearside one floodlights a point about 20ft up in the trees beside the road. ::)

Kevin
these sound better than my headlights

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 December 2009, 17:02:32 »

Just thinking . . . .

Berry head Lighthouse is just down the road . . .

I wonder where he gets his bulbs . . . . invertor . . .

nope, better stop there, as I fear Cruisetopoland may have now collapsed 

;D

Up on the desks.  All of you.

START SINGING OR I'M GONNA KICK OFF

lalalalalalaaaa llaallaaaaaallla

I'm thinking a pair of carbon arc lamps fed from a historically correct mercury arc rectifier, perhaps in the boot. Better hide the blue glow from the rectifier in case anyone thinks I'm a chav. ::)

;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #34 on: 04 December 2009, 17:03:25 »

Kevin

Ah! sounds like you have the same set? Random beam direction with absolutely no beam pattern whatsoever?

Or do you actually have a set that works? if so PLLEEEASEEE let me know where from
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 December 2009, 17:09:15 »

Ah! sounds like you have the same set? Random beam direction with absolutely no beam pattern whatsoever?

Or do you actually have a set that works? if so PLLEEEASEEE let me know where from

I think they're just the 5 3/4" one like the ones here: http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/lights_head.html.

In fairness the beam pattern is fine but my set favour a position that is not consistent with me seeing where I'm going (and are relentless in returning to that position).  >:(

Kevin

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #36 on: 04 December 2009, 17:17:05 »

I think they're just the 5 3/4" one like the ones here: http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/lights_head.html.

In fairness the beam pattern is fine but my set favour a position that is not consistent with me seeing where I'm going (and are relentless in returning to that position).  >:(

Kevin

Ah!, you have a "proper" set of headlights -- I meant something with the angel eye conversionbuilt in -

I have a set of these, and they are absolutely shite - but then I seldom drive the car in the dark anyway

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-Crystal-Angel-Eyes-Full-Headlight-Kit-New_W0QQitemZ380127711992QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item58816092f8
www.dndservices.co.uk

Martin_1962

« Reply #37 on: 05 December 2009, 10:17:59 »

On the way home from work I see 4 or 5 single headlamp cars, about 5 - 10 foggy cars, and 2 or 3 sidelight/fog light cars.

Actually I read somewhere that sidelight & foglight is a gay dating thing? Better spread it around.

Had my rear fogs on last night - front fog moron behind me and close. >:( >:( >:( >:(

andycab

• llanelli
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 December 2009, 03:06:31 »

wish id never asked now lol

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • 2.0 pre face, 2.2 CDX est
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 December 2009, 14:54:21 »

And don't ask about which oil to use

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #40 on: 06 December 2009, 16:02:50 »

And don't ask about which oil to use

And the same goes for Blue LED`s   ;D ;D
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06 December 2009, 23:11:07 »

Actually I read somewhere that sidelight & foglight is a gay dating thing? Better spread it around.

Might be onto something there Martin.

Have been trying to figure out why my self-levelling lights have started going high today.

Kevin

feeutfo

« Reply #42 on: 07 December 2009, 01:32:00 »

oh the irony, here we are on a forum with cars that have quite possibly the worst head lights(hids aside) that i've encountered on a car, bemoaning  front fogs being used.
 I used my front fogs on my old face lift in the absence of any usefull light from the shite projecters that we all know are rubbish unless night brakers are used(didnt know about them at the time).

Personally its the rear fog light i find really irritating on other cars esp in rain.

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 December 2009, 09:14:33 »

oh the irony, here we are on a forum with cars that have quite possibly the worst head lights(hids aside) that i've encountered on a car, bemoaning  front fogs being used.
 I used my front fogs on my old face lift in the absence of any usefull light from the shite projecters that we all know are rubbish unless night brakers are used(didnt know about them at the time).

Personally its the rear fog light i find really irritating on other cars esp in rain.

Agreed re poor Omega headlights-projectors are poor new and next to useless 10 years later...
Add this to the adjuster breaking issue and they are probably the worst feature of the car apart from the early facelift lack of boot opener combined with the daft boot release switch.

I have spent ages trying to get my facelift lights to be acceptable and have had them apart (with lots of help from welung666), cleaned everything, replaced both H1 and H7s with superbrights (Philips Xtreme and Osram Nightbreakers) and then got them properly aligned.
Dipped beam is now "ok" and main beam is "ok to good".

Being able to see safely at night is crucial, but foglights should not come into it as it makes the issue worse for oncoming drivers  :(

I've never understood why all cars not are fitted with superbright headlights as standard-it's a simple, cheap way to improve night driving safety.  Obvious really!

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #44 on: 07 December 2009, 09:48:21 »

I've never understood why all cars not are fitted with superbright headlights as standard-it's a simple, cheap way to improve night driving safety.  Obvious really!

No, I can`t agree with that - the brightness of the bulb may help, sure, but as far as I can tell its the quality of the optics / lens and correct focal length of bulb that is key. I personally have had many cars with some very bright bulbs and although everything closer appears a different colour and certainly brighter, the distance the light goes seldom changes, and certainly deteriorates with many bulbs.

On the other side, I currently have a Subaru forester as a winter hack, the bulbs are fairly dim to look at, but by god, it can light up for miles ahead of me - withoubt a doubt the best headlights I have ever driven on
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.