Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: bugger!  (Read 3673 times)

amigov6

Re: bugger!
« Reply #30 on: 13 August 2007, 21:25:21 »

::)Oh dear. Still i have to admit that the closest i've come to hitting anything is @ reversing slowly.With the general shape of the car being upswept at the back and 3 rear headrests, much as we love 'em they're riddled with blindspots. We're both tall but mirrors only show either side not if anyone's walked behind the car.
   We all make mistakes, the trick is to learn by them which i'm sure you have.   [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 August 2007, 21:36:14 »

Sorry to hear that you have ticked yet another box in the 'Joys of Motoring' learning sheet.....

Hopefully the financial hit will not be too great but I certainly would not put too much reliance in the 'over 25/1 year no claims' payoff.  I think you will loose by a claim.

Glad no one hurt though.  Cars are tin and easily replaced/repaired.  Flesh and bone is less so....   ;)

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 August 2007, 21:38:32 »

probably not the most safety minded thing to say but i had my 3rd headrest in its house in the boot so i could see better, but i put it back cos i think they look cool all sat next to each other on the back seat, if you have to reverse somewhere, get a good look at the area before you attempt to occupy it with the boot end of your car, if needs be, park up and get out to look

my bro reversed his lexus into a bollard because he didnt realise the end 2 were a foot further forward than the rest of the row, no notable damage

stupid fool did it again the following day tho

oh and yesterday i parked as close to a bollard as i could, with my bro at the front gettin ready to shout stop, i stopped millimeters off it, he moved, i put the car in park and released the brake and it hit the bollard as it settled! ;D

amigov6

« Reply #33 on: 13 August 2007, 21:50:34 »

probably not the most safety minded thing to say but i had my 3rd headrest in its house in the boot so i could see better, but i put it back cos i think they look cool all sat next to each other on the back seat, if you have to reverse somewhere, get a good look at the area before you attempt to occupy it with the boot end of your car, if needs be, park up and get out to look

my bro reversed his lexus into a bollard because he didnt realise the end 2 were a foot further forward than the rest of the row, no notable damage

stupid fool did it again the following day tho

oh and yesterday i parked as close to a bollard as i could, with my bro at the front gettin ready to shout stop, i stopped millimeters off it, he moved, i put the car in park and released the brake and it hit the bollard as it settled! ;D
:)I agree. No need for rear centre headrest & you can put 'em away but they're cool!!!
     Only take mine out to clean the glass then they go back. :D

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 August 2007, 21:59:19 »

...Cars are tin and easily replaced/repaired.  Flesh and bone is less so....   ;)

however prosthetics have come far since the 80s

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 August 2007, 22:03:13 »

both my megga's have 3 head rests in the back, if the middle was was not there, it would not have affected my prang. The passenger one needed to be out!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 August 2007, 22:04:06 »

...Cars are tin and easily replaced/repaired.  Flesh and bone is less so....   ;)

however prosthetics have come far since the 80s

Don't think that there has been anyone else recently who can compete with Dr. Shug Frankenstein MbCHb, as regards to raising the dead, however.....   :'(

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 August 2007, 16:22:26 »

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident :(. As far as insurance goes, you have to consider the "at-fault" accident that will be declared, as well as the NCB loss. So your renewal will probably be slightly worse than it would have been if you simply hadn't earned any NCB but had no accidents or claims. Hopefully it won't be too bad though, I have no experience of it so can't really say.

I hate the centre headrest, mine is always in the boot except on the rare occassions I have 3 passengers in the rear. It seriously restricts your general rear vision, not just for reversing. I like to see what's going on around me at all times when driving, and something like that blocking the view just gets on my nerves. For similar reasons I don't allow anyone to put anything on the parcel shelf, it reflects on the window. Yes I am pedantic about stuff like that :D.

I'm a little surprised the guy in the Passat didn't beep the horn if he saw you reverse towards him. It's not his responsibility to look out for others if he's stationary, so maybe he wasn't looking. I've been in a similar situation where I was stopped in a car park and someone started reversing out of a space towards me -- I had a car behind me so nowhere to go, so a quick beep on the horn alerted the guy to my presence and he immediately stopped having obviously not seen me beforehand. It's what the horn is there for, rather than just showing your anger towards people or gesturing to mates ;)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #38 on: 14 August 2007, 18:59:21 »

Now this is the reason I am fitting Rear Sensors for times when you cant see someone behind you
The car would have been visible if he had looked properly, by his own admission.  I think it was a result of tiredness (he had already done over 200m that day by then), frustration, and carelessness.

Only 200miles.....lightweight  ;D

Sorry to hear of your prang Tunnie  :(.......but i agree with Craig.....parking sensors are great for reversing when the view is limited....mine were screaming at me tonight when i was reversing outa a space in a carpark.....i wondered why? im not that close to anything.....then double checking in the nearside door mirror i was getting a tad close to a bmw.....slight adjustment and stopped em whinging....good job too as bmw owner was standing watching.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.