Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting new battery.  (Read 3827 times)

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
Fitting new battery.
« on: 03 December 2009, 17:35:56 »

Hi all.
I'm going to fit a new battery tomorrow (2.2) I'm aware of the disconnect within 15 secs of switching off ignition, does it matter which terminal? And what's the procedure after reconnecting, for windows, locking e.t.c
Many thanks in advance.
Previously: Mercedes CLK 320cdi, Insignia SRi, 53 Omega 2.2CD, 02 3.2 elite, 01 Omega 2.2CD, 94 Omega 2.0 Est, Mercedes 300TE, Toyota Supra 3.0, Honda Legend Coupe, Supra 2.8i Mk2, Fiat X1/9, Lancia Trevi

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting new battery.
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2009, 17:43:16 »

Hi all.
I'm going to fit a new battery tomorrow (2.2) I'm aware of the disconnect within 15 secs of switching off ignition, does it matter which terminal? And what's the procedure after reconnecting, for windows, locking e.t.c
Many thanks in advance.
Disconnect negative,and reset the windows by lwering them then raising them again and hold the button down when it reaches the top for a couple of seconds IIRC. :y
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2009, 21:16:24 »

Or connect a 12v power pack or another 12 v battery across the terminals, remove old battery, fit new and then disconnect power pack/spare battery.  No need to reset anything job done  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2009, 22:33:25 »

Or connect a 12v power pack or another 12 v battery across the terminals, remove old battery, fit new and then disconnect power pack/spare battery.  No need to reset anything job done  :y
That's an interesting idea dbug, I'll give it a try.  :) I take it the powersounder will not be affected either.
Previously: Mercedes CLK 320cdi, Insignia SRi, 53 Omega 2.2CD, 02 3.2 elite, 01 Omega 2.2CD, 94 Omega 2.0 Est, Mercedes 300TE, Toyota Supra 3.0, Honda Legend Coupe, Supra 2.8i Mk2, Fiat X1/9, Lancia Trevi

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2009, 22:45:02 »

If you do this just be careful ... :(  the "positive" lead and the power pack connector MUST be kept clear of everything else .....  I've seen someone doing this and they managed to knock the "positive" as they lifted the dead battery out, it touched the body work and in a flurry of serious sparks welded itself to the bodywork, shortly followed by a horrible smell as the insulation on the powerpack cables started to melt. As there is no isolation switch the only way to stop the process was to wack the newly welded connection with a handy mallet and break it off. Hindsight (what a wonderful that is) suggested that disconnecting the "negative" may have worked better but at the time that was not thought of !!

JUST BE CAREFUL

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2009, 23:38:13 »

If you do this just be careful ... :(  the "positive" lead and the power pack connector MUST be kept clear of everything else .....  I've seen someone doing this and they managed to knock the "positive" as they lifted the dead battery out, it touched the body work and in a flurry of serious sparks welded itself to the bodywork, shortly followed by a horrible smell as the insulation on the powerpack cables started to melt. As there is no isolation switch the only way to stop the process was to wack the newly welded connection with a handy mallet and break it off. Hindsight (what a wonderful that is) suggested that disconnecting the "negative" may have worked better but at the time that was not thought of !!

JUST BE CAREFUL
OK so you've made my mind up. I'll reset the windows and enter the CD code..... ;D ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2009, 01:44:45 »

JUST BE CAREFUL
OK so you've made my mind up. I'll reset the windows and enter the CD code..... ;D ;D

Done this many times on numerous vehicles - agree 100% - you have to be careful!!  Best if you get a helper to hold +ve as old battery lifted out and new inserted!!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2009, 08:08:45 »

Why is the process ..switch off ignition and within 15 seconds disconnect battery ?
When ever I have removed battery I just remove  negative lead..then positive and cover both with a rag to stop hitting battery post when removing..then just refit in reverse way..then reset codes and windows.
Whats this 15 second thing about then ?

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2009, 08:12:53 »

Why is the process ..switch off ignition and within 15 seconds disconnect battery ?
When ever I have removed battery I just remove  negative lead..then positive and cover both with a rag to stop hitting battery post when removing..then just refit in reverse way..then reset codes and windows.
Whats this 15 second thing about then ?

Meant to stop the alarm going off.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2009, 08:15:23 »

Strange but mines has never sounded when I disconnecr battery as described...and I know alarm does work ! must be an in built saftey feature on mine.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2009, 09:26:20 »

Your alarm might well be working .. but sounds like your "powersounder" isn't !!

Powersounder is designed ONLY to activate if the main battery power is lost whilst the system is armed .. it is there to prevent a scrote disconnecting the battery before stealing your car ....

:)

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2009, 09:35:13 »

But if the alarm isn't  armed it shouldn't go off?
My alarm works normally but if you remove the battery nothing happens.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2009, 09:44:16 »

i did'nt do any other that replacing the battery on the 3.0 Elite, just unplugged, lifted new on in, reconnected. I did not take long, maybe 30/40 seconds between lifting out, and putting new one in with terminals in place?

Car was unlocked at the time  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2009, 10:22:03 »

Your alarm might well be working .. but sounds like your "powersounder" isn't !!

Powersounder is designed ONLY to activate if the main battery power is lost whilst the system is armed .. it is there to prevent a scrote disconnecting the battery before stealing your car ....

:)

All depends on the internal software programming of the powersounder

Some do - Some don`t 

Always best to follow the procedure anyway, because once that thing starts sounding, it can be very irritatiting trying to reconnect the battery or removing the siren whilst its going off

:y
« Last Edit: 04 December 2009, 10:23:08 by Dave_DND »
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2009, 10:23:21 »

On my 1994 2.5 V6 if I didn't follow the procedure there wasn't a problem when I took the battery off (No powersounder on early cars).

The problem came on reconnection, the alarm would go off which is very irritating iff you have your head under the bonnet at the time >:(

Maybe they made the alarm a little more intelligent (car unlocked therefore owner intentionally removing battery) but didn't update the instructions because it was too complicated to explain the car by car differences :-/ (disconnect within 15 sec safe on any Omega so don't confuse em :y)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2009, 10:23:29 »

If I activate double lock on key fob with back window slightly open ,after a while alarm sounder goes off and continues for about 30 odd seconds then stops..so assume my alarm is working as it should.
If I disconnect battery then replace it ,only proceedure I need to do is reset windows and codes for radio/c.d  but no alarm sounds.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2009, 12:30:28 »

If I activate double lock on key fob with back window slightly open ,after a while alarm sounder goes off and continues for about 30 odd seconds then stops..so assume my alarm is working as it should.
If I disconnect battery then replace it ,only proceedure I need to do is reset windows and codes for radio/c.d  but no alarm sounds.

Sounds like the power sounder has died. Is the alarm sound just a pulsing horn-like sound or an electronic siren sound as well. My guess is that it's just the former, which confirms power sounder issues.

In light of Ljay's recent experiences, I would remove or replace it (sometimes the batteries can be changed, depending on how far gone it is).

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2009, 12:46:26 »

Sounds like the power sounder has died. Is the alarm sound just a pulsing horn-like sound or an electronic siren sound as well. My guess is that it's just the former, which confirms power sounder issues.

In light of Ljay's recent experiences, I would remove or replace it (sometimes the batteries can be changed, depending on how far gone it is).

Kevin

Disagree, but only if this happens within the first few minutes of setting the alarm. If the alarm senses that a window has been left open within a few minutes of being set, it will sound to warn you that something is wrong before reaching its fully armed state. Depending on the software version, this may then either disable the offending sensor and arm everything else to prevent further false alarms and annoyances, or in (most) cases will simply keep sounding every few minutes in 30 second bursts.

amba06128 From your description, I would agree with you that your alarm seems to be woring ok, but it never hurts once in a while to go round testing all the sensors and switches

;)

« Last Edit: 04 December 2009, 12:46:54 by Dave_DND »
www.dndservices.co.uk

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2009, 13:06:08 »

I have never really paid much attention to the functioning of the alarm,to be quite honest.
I recall soemtimes during hot weather the horn will sound which is as kevin described ,being a intermittent pulsing hooter sound but not like a siren.
The example I gave of leaving a window open was purely to demonstrate to me that a noise of some description was being made indicating something within the cars security system was functioning,be it wrong or right.?
I have never heard the car make a siren sound so expect that part (power sounder )is not functioning but then it hasn,t done so for the 4 years of my ownership and it has had no detrimental effect.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2009, 13:15:13 »

have youever heard 4 little "chirps" as you switch off ???  This is usually the first sign of the powersounder batteries failing.

It is quite possible that the previous owner has already disconnected the powersounder, but as you are happy to live without it I would advise checking that it is unplugged.

I wrote in another thread about the known but rare instance of the powersounders actually catching fire ...  only for Ljays to go and actually do it !! ... so for a 15 minute check .. read the guide and make sure the thing is unplugged.

Better safe than sorry  :y :y :y :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2009, 13:33:04 »

have youever heard 4 little "chirps" as you switch off ???  This is usually the first sign of the powersounder batteries failing.

It is quite possible that the previous owner has already disconnected the powersounder, but as you are happy to live without it I would advise checking that it is unplugged.

I wrote in another thread about the known but rare instance of the powersounders actually catching fire ...  only for Ljays to go and actually do it !! ... so for a 15 minute check .. read the guide and make sure the thing is unplugged.

Better safe than sorry  :y :y :y :y

Sound advice - I have heard of a few fireballs also   :'(
www.dndservices.co.uk

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2009, 15:01:17 »

Never heard any noises from it,so will have a look at your thread and see what is involved...might just buy another powersounder and swop them over as then I know all is as it should be

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 December 2009, 15:55:47 »

The bottom line: If you can disconnect the battery without taking precautions to disable the power sounder and it doesn't go off -it's knackered.

Power sounder should sound when the battery is disconnected whether the alarm is set or not.

Don't forget I've got a climate panel for you when it's convenient. :y Could have a look at the power sounder while we're at it if you like.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 December 2009, 16:18:58 »

Thanks Kevin.
Have been a bit preoccupied here over last few weeks,so expect what with Christmas just round the corner we will need to meet up again in 2010,but thanks for offer.
In the meantime I will keep my eyes open for a new power sounder unit,as with the online advise it would seem that mine is "brown bread".
Are they all the same part number,or has MR .GM done his usual trick and fitted 4 dozen different units over the life span with non being interchangeable due to some mysterious plug fitting.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 December 2009, 16:57:18 »

I enquired about power sounders at the stealer once. Must get one, actually. He couldn't tell me which one I needed at the time, but one was about 70 quid and the other 140 odd IIRC. I can guess which one mine'll be.

If it's not too far gone the batteries can be changed (depending on type). Have to hacksaw it apart, change the batteries and then glue it back together but cost is then less than a tenner.

Kevin

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 December 2009, 17:04:38 »

Hi,
I'm curious,

Is this powersounder your'e all on about just an Elite thing??

Can anyone assure me that my MV6 ex plod doesn't have such trinkets that may be fireballs.
Where may they be situated??

Roger
Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 December 2009, 17:06:11 »

if it has an alarm...it has / had a sounder, under drivers corner of scuttle.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #27 on: 04 December 2009, 17:07:51 »

Hi,
I'm curious,

Is this powersounder your'e all on about just an Elite thing??

Can anyone assure me that my MV6 ex plod doesn't have such trinkets that may be fireballs.
Where may they be situated??

Roger

As far as I am aware, they are fitted right across most of the Vauxhall range. If the batteries in yours have not yet leaked, they will.

Fireball is still a very rare occurrance, but I must admit, that if I had a Vauxhall myself, I would be ripping that thing apart and replacing the batteries anyway.

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #28 on: 04 December 2009, 17:09:33 »

Is there a "How To" guide for the battery replacement?

:-?
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 December 2009, 17:10:48 »

I don't think so. I have a few photos that I took with a view to creating one though.

Kevin

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 December 2009, 17:13:38 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1240077701

is as good as it gets

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 December 2009, 17:20:00 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1240077701

is as good as it gets

Ahh, yes. Those are 2 of the 3 types I have seen. My facelift had the second of the two. That style of battery are widely available. Refitting is simply a matter of de-soldering the old ones and fitting new ones, assuming there's no leakage.

The top picture shows a more obscure type of battery that I haven't located (haven't tried hard either). I'm sure, if they are not available, something more common could be substituted.

Interestingly those 2 sounders have the same part number, so perhaps are interchangeable?

The third type (which is what LJay's incendiary device looked like) have all the electronics encased in a black potting compound so it is going to be less easy to repair them.

Kevin

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 December 2009, 17:34:27 »

Power sounder for mine .. back in April

Part number V0009194455 SIREN

Unit price (ex VAT) £57.50 .. with TC  £52.33 ... actual cost inc VAT £60.18

My dealers give me discount with TC even for stuff that is not on TC list

HTH

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 December 2009, 18:27:59 »

Will have a look next week and see what type is fitted to mine (nodoubt the dearest one)and if its just a case of cutting it open and fit new batteries ,then that is within my abilities with the soldering iron.
If is is beyond repair as batteries have leaked and has been cut open,will it cause any issues driving car with nothing connected until I can source another...apart from insurance issues detailed earlier.?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04 December 2009, 19:02:15 »

Will have a look next week and see what type is fitted to mine (nodoubt the dearest one)and if its just a case of cutting it open and fit new batteries ,then that is within my abilities with the soldering iron.
If is is beyond repair as batteries have leaked and has been cut open,will it cause any issues driving car with nothing connected until I can source another...apart from insurance issues detailed earlier.?

No problem. Alarm will function but without battery backup / random ignition functionality.  ;)

Kevin
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.