Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting new battery.  (Read 3844 times)

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
Fitting new battery.
« on: 03 December 2009, 17:35:56 »

Hi all.
I'm going to fit a new battery tomorrow (2.2) I'm aware of the disconnect within 15 secs of switching off ignition, does it matter which terminal? And what's the procedure after reconnecting, for windows, locking e.t.c
Many thanks in advance.
Previously: Mercedes CLK 320cdi, Insignia SRi, 53 Omega 2.2CD, 02 3.2 elite, 01 Omega 2.2CD, 94 Omega 2.0 Est, Mercedes 300TE, Toyota Supra 3.0, Honda Legend Coupe, Supra 2.8i Mk2, Fiat X1/9, Lancia Trevi

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting new battery.
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2009, 17:43:16 »

Hi all.
I'm going to fit a new battery tomorrow (2.2) I'm aware of the disconnect within 15 secs of switching off ignition, does it matter which terminal? And what's the procedure after reconnecting, for windows, locking e.t.c
Many thanks in advance.
Disconnect negative,and reset the windows by lwering them then raising them again and hold the button down when it reaches the top for a couple of seconds IIRC. :y
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2009, 21:16:24 »

Or connect a 12v power pack or another 12 v battery across the terminals, remove old battery, fit new and then disconnect power pack/spare battery.  No need to reset anything job done  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2009, 22:33:25 »

Or connect a 12v power pack or another 12 v battery across the terminals, remove old battery, fit new and then disconnect power pack/spare battery.  No need to reset anything job done  :y
That's an interesting idea dbug, I'll give it a try.  :) I take it the powersounder will not be affected either.
Previously: Mercedes CLK 320cdi, Insignia SRi, 53 Omega 2.2CD, 02 3.2 elite, 01 Omega 2.2CD, 94 Omega 2.0 Est, Mercedes 300TE, Toyota Supra 3.0, Honda Legend Coupe, Supra 2.8i Mk2, Fiat X1/9, Lancia Trevi

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2009, 22:45:02 »

If you do this just be careful ... :(  the "positive" lead and the power pack connector MUST be kept clear of everything else .....  I've seen someone doing this and they managed to knock the "positive" as they lifted the dead battery out, it touched the body work and in a flurry of serious sparks welded itself to the bodywork, shortly followed by a horrible smell as the insulation on the powerpack cables started to melt. As there is no isolation switch the only way to stop the process was to wack the newly welded connection with a handy mallet and break it off. Hindsight (what a wonderful that is) suggested that disconnecting the "negative" may have worked better but at the time that was not thought of !!

JUST BE CAREFUL

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2009, 23:38:13 »

If you do this just be careful ... :(  the "positive" lead and the power pack connector MUST be kept clear of everything else .....  I've seen someone doing this and they managed to knock the "positive" as they lifted the dead battery out, it touched the body work and in a flurry of serious sparks welded itself to the bodywork, shortly followed by a horrible smell as the insulation on the powerpack cables started to melt. As there is no isolation switch the only way to stop the process was to wack the newly welded connection with a handy mallet and break it off. Hindsight (what a wonderful that is) suggested that disconnecting the "negative" may have worked better but at the time that was not thought of !!

JUST BE CAREFUL
OK so you've made my mind up. I'll reset the windows and enter the CD code..... ;D ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2009, 01:44:45 »

JUST BE CAREFUL
OK so you've made my mind up. I'll reset the windows and enter the CD code..... ;D ;D

Done this many times on numerous vehicles - agree 100% - you have to be careful!!  Best if you get a helper to hold +ve as old battery lifted out and new inserted!!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2009, 08:08:45 »

Why is the process ..switch off ignition and within 15 seconds disconnect battery ?
When ever I have removed battery I just remove  negative lead..then positive and cover both with a rag to stop hitting battery post when removing..then just refit in reverse way..then reset codes and windows.
Whats this 15 second thing about then ?

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2009, 08:12:53 »

Why is the process ..switch off ignition and within 15 seconds disconnect battery ?
When ever I have removed battery I just remove  negative lead..then positive and cover both with a rag to stop hitting battery post when removing..then just refit in reverse way..then reset codes and windows.
Whats this 15 second thing about then ?

Meant to stop the alarm going off.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2009, 08:15:23 »

Strange but mines has never sounded when I disconnecr battery as described...and I know alarm does work ! must be an in built saftey feature on mine.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2009, 09:26:20 »

Your alarm might well be working .. but sounds like your "powersounder" isn't !!

Powersounder is designed ONLY to activate if the main battery power is lost whilst the system is armed .. it is there to prevent a scrote disconnecting the battery before stealing your car ....

:)

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2009, 09:35:13 »

But if the alarm isn't  armed it shouldn't go off?
My alarm works normally but if you remove the battery nothing happens.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2009, 09:44:16 »

i did'nt do any other that replacing the battery on the 3.0 Elite, just unplugged, lifted new on in, reconnected. I did not take long, maybe 30/40 seconds between lifting out, and putting new one in with terminals in place?

Car was unlocked at the time  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2009, 10:22:03 »

Your alarm might well be working .. but sounds like your "powersounder" isn't !!

Powersounder is designed ONLY to activate if the main battery power is lost whilst the system is armed .. it is there to prevent a scrote disconnecting the battery before stealing your car ....

:)

All depends on the internal software programming of the powersounder

Some do - Some don`t 

Always best to follow the procedure anyway, because once that thing starts sounding, it can be very irritatiting trying to reconnect the battery or removing the siren whilst its going off

:y
« Last Edit: 04 December 2009, 10:23:08 by Dave_DND »
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2009, 10:23:21 »

On my 1994 2.5 V6 if I didn't follow the procedure there wasn't a problem when I took the battery off (No powersounder on early cars).

The problem came on reconnection, the alarm would go off which is very irritating iff you have your head under the bonnet at the time >:(

Maybe they made the alarm a little more intelligent (car unlocked therefore owner intentionally removing battery) but didn't update the instructions because it was too complicated to explain the car by car differences :-/ (disconnect within 15 sec safe on any Omega so don't confuse em :y)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 18 queries.