Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Over My Dead Body  (Read 2036 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Re: Over My Dead Body
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2012, 09:09:31 »

It wouldn't bother me, I only have access to two desmond diesels so I aint going to be going anywhere fast ;D ;D
Retired

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2012, 09:15:24 »

I dont fancy one.....but a youngster faced with a £4000 insurance premium may well see the benefits

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2012, 09:17:38 »

I've thought about this, with my kids in the car most of the time and a boring dual-carriageway 70 mph commute to work, my racetrack days are behind me and I drive sensibly nearly all the time. I don't know if it would bring my premiums down by much though, it probably benefits teenagers most.
   I'm still a bit dubious about what they would do with the data though
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2012, 09:40:55 »

More to the point, I'd not be letting them send some ape round to start hacking about with my car's wiring loom, thanks. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2012, 09:44:33 »

If it is for teenagers and drivers in there first few years of holding a licence then I agree with it  :y

But how long will it stay like that ?

Give it a couple of years and it will be a case off "fit one or we will bump up your premium" regardless of how old / experienced / many ncb's you have  ;)

Martian

« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2012, 10:34:52 »

It wouldn't bother me, I only have access to two desmond diesels so I aint going to be going anywhere fast ;D ;D
Our nephew had to have one fitted just to get anywhere near an affordable price for his insurance, and it's not just your speed that is monitored.

Give it a couple of years and it will be a case off "fit one or we will bump up your premium" regardless of how old / experienced / many ncb's you have  ;)
Happening already.

Victor Meldrew

• Bangor, County Down
    • 2002 2.2 CD Auto Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2012, 10:47:40 »

Our nephew had to have one fitted just to get anywhere near an affordable price for his insurance, and it's not just your speed that is monitored.

Happening already.

Yep, time you travel, rush hour increase your premium, night time same. Route you take, high risk road, increase your premium, motorway same. Your destination, wrong post code increase your premium, duration of stay same. 

You file a claim, sorry sir your black box says you were going 1 MPH over the speed limit, your tyres were under/over inflated, you didn't have your lights/wipers on etc. etc. we're not paying out.

It the thin end of a very big wedge IMO.
"A normal man in a world full of idiots"

albitz

« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2012, 11:15:04 »

Installing them to reduce the premiums of young drivers is the thin end of the wedge imo.Its likely that in 20 years time there wont be an option.It will be compulsory to have one if you drive on public roads. >:(
Justified of course by that old chestnut "if youve nothing to hide,you have nothing to fear". ;)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2012, 11:21:20 »

Many would suggest that the campaign by the MID (Motor Insurers Bureau) may have been conceived with the intent of ensuring that there was no hiding place for motorists when the subsequent requirement for constant electronic monitoring of their motoring habits began to be implimented (under the guise of road safety of course) with all the inevitable inconvience and costs motorists will have to bear in order to comply with new rules and regulations.

http://www.mib.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/C868102F-DC4D-4D0B-BCF1-72F4406934AB/0/ConsumerFinal.pdf

Some mistake surely.

Just shows the power of the corporate body when they decide to lessen their financial exposure while trying to extract more money from the same source in the process. 

Isn't lobbying great?

omega3000

« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2012, 11:37:44 »

Many insurers will install the black box free of charge, although they recoup the cost through their premiums. Others ask for an upfront fee. Customers are free to switch insurers if they find that they are not saving money, but there may be a charge which can be as much as £100 to remove the box at a later date.

No thanks  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2012, 13:15:35 »

Bixy1

• Intermediate Member
  • Leeds. West Yorks.
  • Hanging by a thread . . .
    • Diesel Vectra eventually.
    • View Profile
    • Cats Tails
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2012, 14:41:07 »

See above remark.
Cats Tails (The Adventures of Rommy and Reemy)
http://sbpra.com/derektmorgan

JimE

« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2012, 16:31:51 »

I just did a quote for a laugh, cheapest was £592  ;D So much for saving money, my insurance is about £300 cheaper at the moment....

What a rip off!

SteveAvfc.

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • Mv6 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2012, 17:00:38 »

Because of my post code would not matter a jolt if the spy box was fitted insurance is high.

And is doesn't matter to the insurance company that 1) license is clean no points, 2) no convictions ever, 3) 15 yrs + NCB and 4) i am over fifty.

I cant do much more to be a proper driver yet i still get stung.  >:( >:( :( :(.

And on top of that don't want it feels like big brothers watching.
If you work and do your best you get the sack just like the rest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.