Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sterilisation  (Read 2866 times)

Nickbat

Sterilisation
« on: 20 August 2012, 16:00:34 »

How would you feel if your 15-year old daughter came home to tell you that she had undergone irreversible sterilisation?

Would you go mad? Call the police? Call the government?

Lucky you don't live in Oregon then, where the new Obamacare provisions allow for just that. No parental consent necessary, just sign the form (and if you are having it read out to you by an interpreter, as your English is not too good, then there's a box to check). You can't buy alcohol, can't drive a car, can't marry or even, in some states, have a tattoo. But you can make a decision which will affect you for the rest of your life.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obamacare-mandate-sterilize-15-year-old-girls-free-without-parental-consent

It's not just the UK that's gone bonkers.  ::) ::) :( 

aaronjb

Re: Sterilisation
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2012, 16:17:24 »

If they're old enough to have sex, they should be old enough for whatever form of contraception they desire, IMHO

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2012, 16:20:51 »

imho the type of 15 year old that would sign up to that shouldnt be allowed to reproduce anyway!

Darwin award-esqe.

Harsh.....but fair.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2012, 16:25:54 »

imho the type of 15 year old that would sign up to that shouldnt be allowed to reproduce anyway!

Darwin award-esqe.

Harsh.....but fair.

Outrageous though it may appear that an irreversible decision can be made by someone so potentially immature (and the article references "reproductive capability" as being the criteria, so potentially a lot younger), you are probably correct in that it would simply remove the capability to become a "career claimant". :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2012, 16:57:14 »

Informed consent.

I don't see a problem with that. If in later life children were needed then there are always too many waiting for adoption.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nickbat

« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2012, 17:17:03 »

Can't agree with some of these comments. Supposing the boyfriend decides they can't be arsed afford to buy condoms. 15-year olds can quite easily be led into believing they have met the  love of their life and will do ANYTHING to keep them. They go down the sterilisation route. They get dumped. When they reach adulthood in their 20s, and quite capable of being a responsible parent, they will find that their "informed decision! was anything but.

Being old enough to have sex does not mean you're old enough to take adult life-changing decisions.   

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2012, 17:22:47 »

Are you not allowed to get the morning after pill as long as you are older than 16 in the UK?  :-\

Nickbat

« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2012, 17:26:10 »

Are you not allowed to get the morning after pill as long as you are older than 16 in the UK?  :-\

Yes, I think so. That I can live with...not the irreversible sterilisation in the US.

OOMV6

« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2012, 17:36:10 »

Can't agree with some of these comments. Supposing the boyfriend decides they can't be arsed afford to buy condoms. 15-year olds can quite easily be led into believing they have met the  love of their life and will do ANYTHING to keep them. They go down the sterilisation route. They get dumped. When they reach adulthood in their 20s, and quite capable of being a responsible parent, they will find that their "informed decision! was anything but.

Being old enough to have sex does not mean you're old enough to take adult life-changing decisions.

Agree with that. 15 is too young to give those kind of decision making abilities to.

STMO123

« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2012, 17:55:59 »

I just dont care ;D

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2012, 18:10:40 »

is STMO really back  :o :( :( ;D ;D

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2012, 18:16:58 »

Yes I certainly agree and despite all the 'up to date' thinking on social engineering, that practical realisation should be enough for most people to think this a bad idea.

Did the Chinese not try something similar in the recent past?

STMO123

« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2012, 18:24:39 »

is STMO really back  :o :( :( ;D ;D
I was never away. I can be whoever I want to by varying my meds :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2012, 18:26:04 »

If they're old enough to have sex, they should be old enough for whatever form of contraception they desire, IMHO

I'm afraid its not a measure Aaron.. you can understand your mistakes even at twice ages..  thats completely wrong.. and those decision makers (capitalists ;D ) are all a bunch of nutters :(

STMO123

« Reply #14 on: 20 August 2012, 18:33:31 »

My wife's face is the best contraceptive for me  :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.