Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre construction ( bit boring! and pic heavy )  (Read 12370 times)

feeutfo

Tyre construction ( bit boring! and pic heavy )
« on: 04 October 2012, 00:46:52 »

Tony at Wim pointed out these notices on the sidewall of my tyres the other day, following a discussion on tram lining, and that the set up on my car was fine. Hence he was looking for further reasons as to why the handling had suffered.

These are all conti sc3 on my car. Or have been on my car and replaced.

Rears are currently 265 wide sc3 MO (Mercedes) variant with rim protection. No tram lining afaict.

Tyre construction described as...

Fronts are currently 235 wide sc3 R01 (Audi) variant with much less rim protection. These are picking up road imperfections and pulling the steering. Tramlining effectively. Compliant ride.

Tyre construction described as...

Just to confirm size.

Note, there is a minor fault of slight steering idler play on the car. But this was present on the car with the previous front tyres that where replaced.
  These are 245 40 18 MO. 10mm wider than recomended. Absolutely no tramlining at all. But slightly harsh ride when the tyres where cold.
Construction described as

Obviously construction affects handling. But which construction is best...?
R01 are compliant, smoother ride, but pull.
MO absolutely rock steady in a straight line. But a bit harsh. Suspect they didn't absorb bumps as well, and set the abs off early, ESP over painted yellow lines that count you down approaching roundabouts.
Rears, no problem I can detect through the stock Febi donut bushes.

Anyone got this construction notice on thier tyres...? Or is even remotely interested..? ;D

05omegav6

Re: Tyre construction ( bit boring! and pic heavy )
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2012, 00:59:21 »

First observation, and therefore question:

Are the 235/40s being run at the same pressure as the 245/40s? The extra volume of air in the 245s combined with the extra layer of tread would make for a firmer, less compliant tyre.

Try upping the pressures slightly in the 235s, say 5psi and see what if any difference that makes :y

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2012, 01:01:51 »

Also the premature ABS could be caused by the rolling radius differential between front and rear against what the ABS ecu is expecting to see :-\ Mercs are quite susceptible to this after wheel upgrades.

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2012, 01:08:33 »

Yeeah tried playing with all that. Makes little odds.

Tony's first suggestion on seeing what was on the car was, what pressures?

Settled on 28psi on the front, due to the harder construction sidewall. Increase it and the tram lining is the same but the ride suffers, up to 34.

Ran the Mo at 28 too. Bit low but it worked. Tony replied, yeah can't go any lower. (and higher just makes it progressively harsher with every psi for no gain) I'll fiddle with psi as the ambiant temp drops, but I'm not hopefull tbh.

Tempted to put the old ones back on. :(

Re abs, yes suggested that to TB. But we had pas issues to worry about at that time.
« Last Edit: 04 October 2012, 01:12:29 by chrisgixer »

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2012, 01:17:29 »

Do you have the Irmscher paperwork for the wheels?

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2012, 08:46:25 »

Yeeah tried playing with all that. Makes little odds.

Tony's first suggestion on seeing what was on the car was, what pressures?

Settled on 28psi on the front, due to the harder construction sidewall. Increase it and the tram lining is the same but the ride suffers, up to 34.

Ran the Mo at 28 too. Bit low but it worked. Tony replied, yeah can't go any lower. (and higher just makes it progressively harsher with every psi for no gain) I'll fiddle with psi as the ambiant temp drops, but I'm not hopefull tbh.

Tempted to put the old ones back on. :(

Re abs, yes suggested that to TB. But we had pas issues to worry about at that time.

Chris my first thoughts are that 28 psi is too low :-\   although tyre construction will highly effect handling you can arrange it  with different presure trials.. I never go below 32 psi.. (but I never used 235 on the front- its too wide and will tramline)

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2012, 11:03:58 »

First thoughts

Sadly not. Abs is same with stock wheels and different tyres again. :-\

chrisdb

• Intermediate Member
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2012, 11:42:54 »

I hope you get to the bottom of this Chris. I never got mine to go straight so I'll be really interested in the cure. Mind you, the Audi goesdead straight  :y
TC Card, will buy parts for members near by. V6 Camshaft locking kit can rent out to members at club rates.

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2012, 11:48:56 »

First thoughts

Sadly not. Abs is same with stock wheels and different tyres again. :-\

No probs, I shall copy the relevant bits :y

Also compound makes a huge difference to grip levels, eg Autogrips always give the Abs an TC a good work out, but the Runways I normally use stick like poo to a blanket, and hardly ever cause the Abs to kick in, TC only shows up if giving large pulling in to an opportune gap from a side road ::)
« Last Edit: 04 October 2012, 11:54:12 by ex taxi al »

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2012, 13:48:44 »

I hope you get to the bottom of this Chris. I never got mine to go straight so I'll be really interested in the cure. Mind you, the Audi goesdead straight  :y
So, for others reading, the Audi has a far more complex and firmer double wishbone type set up, consisting of 4 control arms that effectively form the upper and lower wishbones. It's a far firmer, more accurate set up. Provided the bushes are in good nic of course.

So Audi can afford a softer set up in tyre construction.

Or put another way, if the MO was fitted to the Audi, with it's firmer double wishbone set up, the ride would be most unpleasant.

So, question still stands, what's the best tyre construction for omega...?
Simply saying, for example, fit Dunlops or as here fit continental sc3 doesn't cut it.
I'd be interested to know what the construction of the sport max tt is though, for example...? Or Goodyear f1...?

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2012, 17:57:28 »

So, for others reading, the Audi has a far more complex and firmer double wishbone type set up, consisting of 4 control arms that effectively form the upper and lower wishbones. It's a far firmer, more accurate set up. Provided the bushes are in good nic of course.

So Audi can afford a softer set up in tyre construction.

Or put another way, if the MO was fitted to the Audi, with it's firmer double wishbone set up, the ride would be most unpleasant.

So, question still stands, what's the best tyre construction for omega...?
Simply saying, for example, fit Dunlops or as here fit continental sc3 doesn't cut it.
I'd be interested to know what the construction of the sport max tt is though, for example...? Or Goodyear f1...?

will check..

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2012, 18:07:31 »

If I can remember where I parked my 3.2 i'll look at mine. SC3's all round but XL's on the rear IIRC.

Running Toyo T1R's on the DTi so i'll have a look at those as well.

cem_devecioglu

« Last Edit: 04 October 2012, 18:13:09 by cem »

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2012, 20:07:59 »

If I can remember where I parked my 3.2 i'll look at mine. SC3's all round but XL's on the rear IIRC.

Running Toyo T1R's on the DTi so i'll have a look at those as well.

IF.... ? ;D. When did you drive it last...? :-\  ;D

But yes, thank you. :)

I presume similar info is on other brands...? :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 04 October 2012, 20:13:45 »

Runway Enduros 235/45/17 W97 XL:

Tread: Polyester 2, Steel 2, Nylon 1.
Sidewall: Polyester 2.

:y
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.