Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAIN SENSOR RETROFITTING  (Read 3741 times)

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
RAIN SENSOR RETROFITTING
« on: 16 October 2012, 09:13:03 »

Hello,

There is a topic about this subject started by Gaby63 from Romania but, because of the subject is old and getting no answer from Gaby63, I have decided to start a new topic related to the same subject here... :( Apologies for that... :-\
Previously, I have stated that I would retrofit a rain sensor as being my next project... :y
We will have a holiday next week, then I just want to take an advantage of that... ;)

So, I have all the required parts such as auto dipping mirror and a rain sensor for my '98 Omega as well as the diagrams (thanks to "gaby63" for the diesel Omega diagrams of rain sensor circuit in his topic). And, I need to know the pin numbers of the rain sensor, since it does not have a plug with the cables on it.

On the other hand, if someone provides here with the detailed information such as X25XE diagram (if it is different from the diesel's diagram), locatons of the two new relays and tips for wiring, etc. it would be aprreciated.

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
Re: RAIN SENSOR RETROFITTING
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2012, 14:19:19 »

I have started with the easiest one and finished the auto dipping mirror connections. Here are the tips for those who want to retrofit this type of mirror:
The mirror is a Vectra-C item and fits onto the rail on the windscreen without any change.
The cables are:

1- Brown (ground)
2- Black (+12V ignition ON voltage)
3- Grey (connected to the black/white cable (reverse lamps cable) located under the LH side (driver) door sill. This connection does not darken the mirror when it is in reverse gear allowing to see behind.
4- Black/white (Multimeter) (No need to connect this wire and I do not know why it is there)

No relay or transistor needed. It works perfectly...

By the way, still working on the diagrams for the rain sensor...

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2012, 19:28:01 »

Thats great information  thanks  :y

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2012, 21:11:03 »

Thats great information  thanks  :y

Don't mention it... :y
If I succeed to retrofit the rain sensor, I will also share detailed information... :y ;)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2012, 19:06:28 »

Thanks very much for this writeup, I have moved it to the maint guide index for future use..

Cheers :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2012, 11:37:57 »

Useful help/tips .. thanks VOYAGER :y

Vega

• The Netherlands
    • Omega Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2012, 23:11:19 »

Thanks for your very helpful information and the pictures Vega...
I have already fitted cabling from the rain sensor to the relays and wiper motor in line with the GM schematics. I spent much time with an Opel electrician yesterday but we could not make it.

Copied this from the maintenance section, can not reply there.

What was the problem? Its not so difficult.

At this stage, I just want to ask couple of questions:

* I have a variable stalk and have to make some modifications on that, as I understand. So, could you please provide more details on the variable stalk modifications with the XC plug such as which cable goes to where exactly, if I want to keep the variable one instead of replacing with the standard one without dial?

You have to replace a stalk with one without the dial, because the rain sensor will receive his powered through this line, when you remove the old stalk and you do not want to cut any loom the easy way is to use the same plug, the XC plug in the fuse box is the same but you need to move the wires to a different position, to position 4 and 6.
The dial is a variable resistor and if the dial is in the wrong position the rain sensor will not work, because it will not get any power.

* Do I have to buy a new rain sensor type windshield or is sticking a darkening film or similar thing to hide a rain sensor enough for that?  Is replacing the windshield a must?

A normal windscreen does not have a bracket to hold the rain sensor, so you have to make your own bracket and use some kind of film to camouflage the rain sensor.

* Is there anything related to the "multitimer module"? Do I have to replace it with a multitimer module with rain sensor type or do I have to keep the original one in my car?

No, not related. Keep the one you have.

Peter

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2012, 06:18:06 »

Thank you very much Peter...
It is very good to hear that I will not have to replace the windscreen.
I will buy a stalk without dial and give it a try in the shortest time. As I understand, if I replace the stalk with the one without dial, no need to use an XC plug...Is that true?...
I will write down here about the progress...

Gursel

Vega

• The Netherlands
    • Omega Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2012, 08:39:17 »

I will buy a stalk without dial and give it a try in the shortest time. As I understand, if I replace the stalk with the one without dial, no need to use an XC plug...Is that true?...
I will write down here about the progress...

No not correct, if you have a stalk with an dial and you replace it with a stalk without a dial have to make loop, the easiest way to do that is with an XC plug (or cut the wires and solder them together).

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2012, 19:14:03 »

One more stupid question... ;)
Which wires that I will cut and solder them together? :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.