Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: you can't tell some people!!!  (Read 3557 times)

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: you can't tell some people!!!
« Reply #15 on: 05 November 2012, 20:18:46 »

You can check the pressure before paying anything though (at least you can at my local texaco). That way if they are ok you don't pay anything.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 November 2012, 20:19:51 »

Welcome to ripoff Britain. ;)
I think it should be illegal to charge for air for tyres.Its a vital safety issue.

Which is your responsibility, not Tescos.................... :) :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 November 2012, 20:24:28 »

I think it should be illegal to charge for air for tyres.Its a vital safety issue.
So are tyres and brakes. Should Tesco pay for those as well?

//TB dreams for a minute....
Grumpy old man

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 November 2012, 20:33:23 »

Well...every little helps (coat/door)

albitz

« Reply #19 on: 05 November 2012, 20:41:50 »

No but its air ffs. It was always free from every garage in the land to assist customers in completeing their journeys safely.Then the big supermarkets started selling petrol,then started selling air and pretty son they all did it.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 November 2012, 20:45:49 »

No but its air ffs. It was always free from every garage in the land to assist customers in completeing their journeys safely.Then the big supermarkets started selling petrol,then started selling air and pretty son they all did it.

But who then should pay for all the equipment, were not talking of a £50.00 Aldi compressor are we..... :) :)

albitz

« Reply #21 on: 05 November 2012, 20:46:43 »

I have an airline at work and my own pressure gauge,so never use the garage ones. :)
Garage airlines should only be used in an emergency/ last resort anyway imo because if you have driven for much more than a mile or so the tyres will have heated up and expanded,so you will get an innaccurate reading from a gauge which is also probably innaccurate.

albitz

« Reply #22 on: 05 November 2012, 20:47:07 »

But who then should pay for all the equipment, were not talking of a £50.00 Aldi compressor are we..... :) :)
Tesco. :)

Garages always provided it free in the past,so Im sure they still could if they had to. ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 November 2012, 20:58:18 »

Compressed air is quite expensive to produce  :y

albitz

« Reply #24 on: 05 November 2012, 21:01:00 »

So how come every one man garage in every one shop village in the U.K. used to happily provide it f.o.c. until relatively recently ?
Most garages thesedays are part of some big conglomerate,so in the grand scheme of things its pocket change to them.

albitz

« Reply #25 on: 05 November 2012, 21:03:00 »

Bowlicks,wrong thread. :-[ ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 November 2012, 21:03:59 »

The garages stopped doing "free air" when the Weights & Measures folks got involved and the gauges they use MUST (by law) be accurate.

They can now be "done" for an inaccurate gauge, so have to PAY, yes PAY, to have the system calibrated. Add the cost of the equipment, cost of electricity and the replacement costs of all the gauges the inconsiderate idiots break by throwing them on the floor/running over them etc etc .. and I'm not surprised a charge is made.

IAM ....
........ The era of ‘free air’ at garages appears to be ending. However, charging for air does seem to be improving pressure gauge accuracy. The lAM Trust survey shows more than 80 per cent of air lines to be accurate within 5 per cent or 2psi, a significant improvement on the 2005 check, which found 50 per cent of gauges to be inaccurate. The new survey also shows that 71 per cent of drivers would be willing swap pounds sterling for pounds per square inch, to ensure accuracy and well-maintained air lines.

Most motorists feel that 20p or 50p is a reasonable price to pay for reliable, accurate and clean airlines at a garage. However, if the price were to be £1, just one in eight men would be prepared to pay but almost a third of women think it a reasonable charge.....
« Last Edit: 05 November 2012, 21:06:40 by Entwood »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 November 2012, 21:04:30 »

So how come every one man garage in every one shop village in the U.K. used to happily provide it f.o.c. until relatively recently ?
Most garages thesedays are part of some big conglomerate,so in the grand scheme of things its pocket change to them.

You're quite correct, maybe the one man garages just provided it to maintain good customer relations. The big boys are now only interested in profit.
Air is an expensive commodity though, we knock our compressors off over the week end due to the amount of leaks in the system ....... it apparently saves them quite a bit  :-\

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 November 2012, 21:08:10 »

Just for the record, it was the big petrol retailers who started charging first, certainly around here
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

albitz

« Reply #29 on: 05 November 2012, 21:08:40 »

After reading all this stuff Im now feeling really sorry for Tescos etc. Im now going to stop at their airlines everytime I see one and feed a few pound coins in the slot to help them out a bit.  :D ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 17 queries.