Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice Classic Standard  (Read 7632 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Classic Standard
« Reply #15 on: 19 November 2012, 14:56:08 »

I seem to recall my late uncle having something called a Standard Vanguard. When he sold that he bought a brand new 1965 Victor 101.

As a nipper it seemed huge to me. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 November 2012, 16:15:39 »

Well they look like well built tubs to me , worth restoring and driving tax free  :-*

Yes, I think you are right there; they were well built for their time.  The engines could easily break, and the bodywork would eventually rust badly, with no rustproofing as I am aware.  But that was typical of all cars built in the 1950s and 1960s. 

They were heavy beasts of thick steel, and that is why a number still survive.  If I remember correctly from that time it was the engine that always spelt the end for those cars.  I know my father in law preferred to buy old Austin Westminster's, Humber Super Snipes, and some other larger 1950s, early 1960 cars.  They all died due to engine problems (big ends gone, cylinder head cracking, carburetters wearing out, pistons burning through).  I know the Humber Super Snip (what a lovely heavy beast for me to drive, double-de-clutching with no power steering for three tons of car) I 'broke' when a valve rocker snapped.  There were also a knocking big end, so my father in law decided to scrape it as it was only worth £50! :'( ::)

Is this the later "vasectomy model" Lizzie?. The one without any lead in it's pencil........ahem... ::) ::) ::) I mean petrol. ;)

omega3000

« Reply #17 on: 19 November 2012, 16:17:10 »

If I remember correctly from that time it was the engine that always spelt the end for those cars

Oh dear  :( Best drop something a bit more lively into it , which is what i would do . Something like a straight 6 , upgrade the brakes and job done ... if only i could convince my back arms and legs to do such a job  ::) ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 November 2012, 16:40:29 »

They did a Vanguard six from memory with the Triumph 2000 lump fitted :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #19 on: 19 November 2012, 16:52:20 »

Yep this 6 pot was to be later used in the Triumph 2000.  In the vanguard it had all of 80bhp!!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 November 2012, 20:57:31 »

Yep this 6 pot was to be later used in the Triumph 2000.  In the vanguard it had all of 80bhp!!

Up to a heady 98bhp for thr T2000 & Vitesse,104 for the mk2 Vitesse,god I want a mk 2 Vitesse,one day :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #21 on: 19 November 2012, 21:21:31 »

Up to a heady 98bhp for thr T2000 & Vitesse,104 for the mk2 Vitesse,god I want a mk 2 Vitesse,one day :-\

You'd be better off with a TR mate ;)  You know it makes sense  ::)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 November 2012, 21:40:13 »

I like the old classic cars "thats why i bought the omega" ;D But this one really is nice STANDARD  :)

Never heard of this make , too young  ::)

Is that a pipe holder, on the top of the dash, to the right of the clocks?......  :D :D

omega3000

« Reply #23 on: 19 November 2012, 21:48:04 »

I like the old classic cars "thats why i bought the omega" ;D But this one really is nice STANDARD  :)

Is that a pipe holder, on the top of the dash, to the right of the clocks?......  :D :D

;D could be  :-\

And that white thing below it with the slits in it  :-\

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 November 2012, 22:40:25 »

;D could be  :-\

And that white thing below it with the slits in it  :-\

Looks to me like the handle to perhaps an ash tray or similar cubby hole, which they did not really do at that age..... :-\ :-\ :-\  My money is on an ash tray... :)

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 November 2012, 22:43:26 »

how about this view=what most other car drivers see :y

no slow boat ;D ;D ;D
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #26 on: 20 November 2012, 10:15:22 »

Well they look like well built tubs to me , worth restoring and driving tax free  :-*

Yes, I think you are right there; they were well built for their time.  The engines could easily break, and the bodywork would eventually rust badly, with no rustproofing as I am aware.  But that was typical of all cars built in the 1950s and 1960s. 

They were heavy beasts of thick steel, and that is why a number still survive.  If I remember correctly from that time it was the engine that always spelt the end for those cars.  I know my father in law preferred to buy old Austin Westminster's, Humber Super Snipes, and some other larger 1950s, early 1960 cars.  They all died due to engine problems (big ends gone, cylinder head cracking, carburetters wearing out, pistons burning through).  I know the Humber Super Snip (what a lovely heavy beast for me to drive, double-de-clutching with no power steering for three tons of car) I 'broke' when a valve rocker snapped.  There were also a knocking big end, so my father in law decided to scrape it as it was only worth £50! :'( ::)

Is this the later "vasectomy model" Lizzie?. The one without any lead in it's pencil........ahem... ::) ::) ::) I mean petrol. ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Oh dear, my typing is getting no better Opti!! ::) ::)

Yes, it should be "Snipe".....................I think?! ;D ;D ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #27 on: 20 November 2012, 10:18:58 »

You started a great thread EMD :y :y :y

It could develop into a "Bus Nostalgia" type thread, but for all old cars pre-1970 (?)

I just love looking at all those old models, like the Standard Ensign originally shown. Takes me back to my childhood when our road had no more than three cars in it! :-* :-* :-*

How about these for the more unusual cars going around in those days:

Armstrong Whitley 6

Armstrong Siddeley

PS EMD, sorry for perhaps hijacking your thread, and I will start another one if you so wish ;)
« Last Edit: 20 November 2012, 10:29:30 by Lizzie Zoom »

omega3000

« Reply #28 on: 20 November 2012, 13:07:57 »

PS EMD, sorry for perhaps hijacking your thread, and I will start another one if you so wish 

Ok with me lizzie  :-* ;D A classic a classic within reason what some mite call a classic  ::) ;D
I like the triumphs mainly but its only as i have owned one , its great looking and finding new cars ive never seen like the standard ensign ... pictures help too  ;D :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #29 on: 20 November 2012, 13:20:14 »

PS EMD, sorry for perhaps hijacking your thread, and I will start another one if you so wish 

Ok with me lizzie  :-* ;D A classic a classic within reason what some mite call a classic  ::) ;D
I like the triumphs mainly but its only as i have owned one , its great looking and finding new cars ive never seen like the standard ensign ... pictures help too  ;D :y

Thanks EMD! :y :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.