Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autobox Gear Selector Switch  (Read 1106 times)

Clouseau

• Telford
  • Keeping the dream alive...
    • View Profile
Autobox Gear Selector Switch
« on: 31 January 2013, 20:13:18 »

Evening all,

So it seems that my Omega has reached that point in its life where the gear indicator LEDs do the whole disco thing and the gearbox keeps clunking and dropping into limp mode. When in 'Drive' all the LEDs are lit, but they do run up and down like Knight Rider from time to time! This all started about a couple of weeks ago when the roads were thick with snow and slush ... I suspect that the switch housing just got swamped with crud. :-\

I have read the maintenance guide and looked at the photos and to be fair it all sounds simple enough, but Haynes turns the whole job into a real headache: exhaust off, gearbox lowered, cross member removed etc... Is this really necessary or will I be able to access the switch and the fittings without removing all of this? ???

I am hoping that a thorough clean is going to be all it needs, but I may have to source a replacement.  Anyone got a decent one out there?  Oh and I have read the codes: 0700, 0705 and 1700 which all seem to point to a knackered switch.

Any advice - anyone done this job?  Car is a 2.2 petrol estate. Ta very much. :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: Autobox Gear Selector Switch
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2013, 20:25:40 »

exhaust off, gearbox lowered, cross member removed etc... Is this really necessary
Nope
will I be able to access the switch and the fittings without removing all of this
Yep
That`s the switch code
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2013, 20:28:40 »

1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2013, 20:33:07 »

exhaust off, gearbox lowered, cross member removed etc... Is this really necessary
Nope
will I be able to access the switch and the fittings without removing all of this
Yep
That`s the switch code

Phew, that's good to know!  I'm trying to source a replacement but will have a look tomorrow and see if cleaning will do the trick.  If anyone's got one please let me know and can a moderator please move my post in 'Test' to 'Wanted'? Cheers, Rich

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2013, 23:45:13 »

Some of the electrical tracts had corroded/worn on mine which i was able to repair with a fine silver pen electrical repair pen.

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2013, 12:50:57 »

All done and working perfectly! :y

Not quite as easy as I thought it was going to be, with two unexpected issues.... firstly there is a heat / rain shield to remove before you can access the multi-plug (or at least there was on my car):

And once I'd unplugged the multiplug I couldn't release it from the car at first. (It's clipped in and simply prises off).  I couldn't get it to slide back onto the clip when I went to refit it, so secured it with a cable-tie.

This is the inside of my switch:

There was some water which dripped out when I separated the halves - hopefully this was the culprit. I cleaned it all with maplins switch cleaner which didn't reveal any obvious damage. Then lubricated with silicon grease. For some reason I expected this to be the same white grease that was originally inside the switch; instead this was a very thin, clean liquid.  Is this ok?

Any once cleaned up it all looked like this.

I ran a bead of vaseline in the edge where the rubber o ring seals the two halves in the hope that this will ensure it all stays dry inside for the future.  So far all is working perfectly again..

Thanks as usual for the advice :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.