Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric car charging subsidy  (Read 3959 times)

Nickbat

Electric car charging subsidy
« on: 19 February 2013, 23:27:27 »

The government has announced that it will cover up to 75% of the cost of installing charging points for electric vehicles in garages and driveways. (cost £37m)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21503532

"IT" will cover?

Surely that means we (the taxpayers) will cover up to 75%...

Remind me. How many electric cars were sold in the UK last year?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2281194/Government-invests-37m-electric-cars-despite-2-000-sold-year.html

Oh, yes, and we will soon be down to 5% National Grid grid tolerance after we've closed a few more power stations...

Absolutely bonkers.  >:(  >:(  >:(
« Last Edit: 19 February 2013, 23:32:03 by Nickbat »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Electric car charging subsidy
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2013, 23:42:17 »

Now now Nick, don't get too charged up about it!!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nickbat

« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2013, 23:49:37 »

I shan't Tiggs!  :y

I may not be the brightest thing around, but even I can see this government is leading us off the edge of a cliff.

To quote from M*A*S*H in the 80s:

It's like being on a sinking ship, running up to the bridge and finding the captain's Daffy Duck

That's my view of Cameron Camoron.  ;)

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2013, 23:49:48 »

Or in a spin.

Honestly thou, I read your posts and cannot believe that those in power (no pun Intended) cannot see the black hole we are heading into. (it just happens)

mantahatch

« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2013, 07:27:52 »

How the press report it.

"The government has announced that it will cover up to 75% of the cost of installing charging points for electric vehicles in garages and driveways. "

How it should be reported.

The government has announced that the tax payer will cover up to 75% of the cost of installing charging points for electric vehicles in garages and driveways.

The press, especially the bbc are very complicit in these things.  :(

We have to change the idea of "government money" and change it to "tax payers money". One thing the americans get right, they do not loose sight of whose money it is being spent by their government.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2013, 10:01:04 »

I will order one asap
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • 2.0 pre face, 2.2 CDX est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2013, 10:26:04 »

A glad i don't live in the UK with all the extra taxes

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2013, 10:44:56 »

You could always "break the mould" and actually publish the "whole" story, rather than just the bits you like  :)

The government estimates that it will cost between about £1,000 and £1,500 for drivers with off-street parking to install charging points in their garages or driveways; it will fund 75% of this cost, up to a maximum contribution of £1,000.

"Today's government announcement marks a change in strategy from piloting infrastructure installation, which has led to a postcode lottery of support, to the beginnings of a strategically planned national charging infrastructure.

But that doesn't sit with the "bash the government" agenda does it .. :)

Now .. who was it who wanted the government to invest in infrastucture projects ?? can't quite remember ....  :)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2013, 10:54:46 »

The government has announced that it will cover up to 75% of the cost of installing charging points for electric vehicles in garages and driveways. (cost £37m)

"IT" will cover?

I fully agree Nick! :y :y :y :y :y

Why should we who buy our fuel at full price subsidise those few who have electric cars?  It just does not make sense.  Those motorists should pay for the electric at market prices. ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2013, 10:59:23 »

"IT" will cover?

Why should we who buy our fuel at full price subsidise those few who have electric cars?  It just does not make sense.  Those motorists should pay for the electric at market prices. ;)

Lizzie, I'm afraid your comment simply proves you did not actually read the article before hitting the keyboard.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2013, 11:04:13 »

"IT" will cover?

Lizzie, I'm afraid your comment simply proves you did not actually read the article before hitting the keyboard.

I did Entwood, and have just re-read them.  How are my comments wrong?  In fact I can add that this subsidy that you and I will pay, on top of the electric used, is also added to the £5,000 per car ‘green’ subsidy that purchasers of such vehicles enjoy. ;) ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2013, 11:09:43 »

"IT" will cover?

I did Entwood, and have just re-read them.  How are my comments wrong?  In fact I can add that this subsidy that you and I will pay, on top of the electric used, is also added to the £5,000 per car ‘green’ subsidy that purchasers of such vehicles enjoy. ;) ;)

Your comments refer to the price of the electric, not the cost of installing it. The government are helping the construction of the points, not they electric the provide.

Nickbat

« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2013, 11:14:33 »

You could always "break the mould" and actually publish the "whole" story, rather than just the bits you like  :)

The government estimates that it will cost between about £1,000 and £1,500 for drivers with off-street parking to install charging points in their garages or driveways; it will fund 75% of this cost, up to a maximum contribution of £1,000.

"Today's government announcement marks a change in strategy from piloting infrastructure installation, which has led to a postcode lottery of support, to the beginnings of a strategically planned national charging infrastructure.

But that doesn't sit with the "bash the government" agenda does it .. :)

Now .. who was it who wanted the government to invest in infrastucture projects ?? can't quite remember ....  :)

I posted the parts I thought were pertinent.

I don't have an agenda - this appalling government makes the agenda. >:(

£37m is a lot of money to throw at a useless idea. There is no way that electric cars will become the norm anytime soon. We're just paying for a few smug Notting Hill types to feel superior. ::)

For a long time, my school has needed £1m to address the issue of severe overcrowding - that would be a sensible way to spend the money. :y

No, I have not pressed for the government to invest in infrastructure projects – I am heartily against HS2. I suggest you are confusing me with someone else. ;)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2013, 11:16:43 »

"IT" will cover?

Your comments refer to the price of the electric, not the cost of installing it. The government are helping the construction of the points, not they electric the provide.

Yes, I know that Tunnie.  What I am saying, obviously not clearly enough, is that the Government should seek the cost of the subsidy of installing these plug points by way of charging for the electric used from them.  As we petrol heads actually "pay" in the price of our fuel for the garage operating costs that includes the pumps.  The taxpayer does not subsidise the cost of those pumps so why should they for the electric plug-in points?

I hope that clarifies what I mean :y :y :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2013, 11:25:37 »

Did the first passengers on the Trains have to pay for the cost of the lines, tracks, signalling ??

Did the first users of the Underground have to pay the tunneling costs ?

Did the first users of the Channel Tunnel have to pay the tunneling costs ?

Did the first Car users have to pay for the construction of roads ?

Did the first aircraft passengers have to pay for the runways ?

Did the first users of Electricity have to pay for the building of Power Stations ??

The list goes on and on and on and on and ................

In all those fields we led the world .... I wonder why ....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.