Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Back problem  (Read 5298 times)

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
Back problem
« on: 30 March 2013, 09:08:38 »

A few days ago everything was fine, then bending down to take something out of the oven my back went. Agonising sharp pain at base of my spine to the right. For the past few days I've been taking ibuprofen 400mg tablets, applied deep heat, tried one of those support belt things and swmbo has one of those cushions that massage you so tried that as well.

Yesterday I thought I had got over the worst, was able to bend slowly and walk like I hadn't messed myself, until I leaned forward to pick a plate up and it went again :'( I only leaned over a couple of inches!!

This morning I can barely move, took me ages to get out of bed, every movement caused excruciating pain. Nearly in tears with the pain, haven't felt anything like it.
Doctors surgery isnt open til monday. Is it worth a visit to hospital ( assuming I can actually get there!) don't know that they can do much for sore backs?
What's worrying me is that swmbo is 8 months pregnant, and in this state I can't help her should anything happen.
Any advice on what this could be or anything that might ease the pain would be greatly appreciated. :y

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
Re: Back problem
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2013, 09:16:17 »

sounds like you have slipped a disc mate :'( can you get doctor to call out to you? or try nhs hotline?
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2013, 09:30:08 »

Possibly. Just kinda think " it's back pain, Dr wouldn't be too impressed at a house call for a sore back"
Swmbo is at work just now, if its still as bad when she returns this aft I think in try get to hospital.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2013, 09:39:35 »

Don't ignore it! You have my deepest sympathies mate :'( I did mine lifting the teapot! :-[

Bit of advice... You can take paracetamol as well as ibuprofen as they are different drugs and work together as a cumulative effect. If you are going to sit, dining chair not sofa... Both feet on the floor, no crossed legs etc.

Rest and pain relief is all they will prescribe at present... But if you suffer pins and needles, loss of feeling or coldness in any part of the body you need to visit A&E urgently!
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2013, 09:53:39 »

Deep heat is the wrong thing to use.....so dont use that.

If you go to A&E they wont actually do anything, except maybe confirm you've  slipped a disc.
BUT what they should do,, is prescribe you much stronger painkillers  :y

Last time i slipped a disc, thats what my docs did for me, 5x stronger painkillers than you can buy over the counter  :y with instructions to keep moving about to stop DVT.

Ive slipped quite a few discs over the years, so when it does happen, i usually wait a week or so to see if it will go back in on its own. If it does, good  :y If it doesnt, then i goto an osteopath, who with heat gently massages it back in over a few sessions. If you fancy pain goto a physiotherapist who ime puts it back in using force  ;D

Plus are you sure your quacks are open on Monday......thats a BH too  :-\

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2013, 09:55:37 »

Didn't know that about the paracetamol, thanks for that  :y
It does ease slightly when I sit straight rather than on the couch. So bloody frustrating not being able to move  >:(

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2013, 09:57:12 »

Cheers taxi driver  :y and I forgot about the docs being closed Monday. Bugger.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2013, 10:03:09 »

My physio was constantly bollocking me for using the car's heated seats, and having several scaldingly hot baths a day...  ...for me it offered relief, but apparently does more damage than good.

He said ice packs should be used instead...
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2013, 10:15:52 »

My physio was constantly bollocking me for using the car's heated seats, and having several scaldingly hot baths a day...  ...for me it offered relief, but apparently does more damage than good.

I got the same :-[ ::)

Deep Freeze is quite good
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2013, 10:26:19 »

I guess thats because the angle of the back is wrong when applying heat (making the muscles relax) . But lying face down applying heat is a good thing. Best buy a snorkel TB  ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2013, 10:34:06 »

I guess thats because the angle of the back is wrong when applying heat (making the muscles relax) . But lying face down applying heat is a good thing. Best buy a snorkel TB  ;D ;D
My laptop would get wet ;D

No prizes for guessing where I am right now ;D
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2013, 10:39:38 »

Must be the cleanest shadow on this great big ball of fluff ;D

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2013, 10:48:47 »

Don't ignore it! You have my deepest sympathies mate :'( I did mine lifting the teapot! :-[

Bit of advice... You can take paracetamol as well as ibuprofen as they are different drugs and work together as a cumulative effect. If you are going to sit, dining chair not sofa... Both feet on the floor, no crossed legs etc.

Rest and pain relief is all they will prescribe at present... But if you suffer pins and needles, loss of feeling or coldness in any part of the body you need to visit A&E urgently!

Sorry for hijacking your thread cam I suffer with back problems myself and it really is horrible, good physio and painkillers is best advice. Just out of curiosity whats the reason for this advice LD, haven't been able to get my feet warm in weeks
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2013, 15:22:11 »

You have my Abject Sympathies too cam :(
You can now get Prescription strength Voltarol tablets over the Chemists counter, these are muscle relaxants and will provide you with some interim pain relief along with the usual painkillers (there's a misnomer if ever there was one! ::)) there is also a Voltarol Gel available but this is not as strong or as effective as the tablets. As said, get yourself to the Doctors as soon as practicable, and if your pain becomes unbearable in the meantime, then you have the option of telephoning the Emergency Doctor on Call, he/she should give you an intravenous Voltarol injection  which gives immediate pain relief  :y
« Last Edit: 30 March 2013, 15:24:43 by PhilRich »
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2013, 18:12:29 »

Does the pain also go down either leg or buttock (bum to you and me)?
If so it could be sciatica and it aint nice :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.