Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious advice please  (Read 2490 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Serious advice please
« on: 26 April 2013, 12:04:33 »

I've been unemployed for quite a while and even though i've had some quite good jobs over the years i'm finding it difficult to get a job.

Anyway, yesterday I was offered a temporary job start Monday which is 2 miles down the road and it's a minimum 2 months work, dead laidback and job and jack with full pay. Today i've had a phone call asking me to go for an interview for another temporary job which is a minimum of 6 months work, similiar wage but 11 miles away and 8am til 4 pm Monday to Friday.

Would you risk upsetting a new boss with a request for a morning off to go for an interview?

I think I know already what i'm going to do but just thought i'd get some advice.

TIA :y
Retired

cem_devecioglu

Re: Serious advice please
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2013, 12:07:36 »

you dont owe anything for your new boss.. he takes your work/time and and pays the money..

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2013, 12:08:50 »

I would be upfront and tell the guy what and why... he might accept your honesty and extend your job ???

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2013, 12:25:00 »

I would be upfront and tell the guy what and why... he might accept your honesty and extend your job ???

He did mention in the interview Nige, that alot of people advertise the positions as temporary these days so it's easier to get rid of the person if they're not suitable.
Retired

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2013, 12:25:14 »

With the extra little knowledge gleaned over that rather nice breakfast :)

I stick with the 1st one, think it has better prospects and as I said, that 2 months is an easy 'break off' for anyone they dont but have no reason to sack, rather than an actual 2 month job.  That job is yours, youve got it, this is just an interview, with god knows how many applicants, and I think the risk of telling your new boss you dont really want the job is greater than the possibility of an extra few months at the other.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.  Take the 1st, and forget about the 2nd.

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2013, 12:31:22 »

As jim says pete.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2013, 12:36:48 »

The most important thing is ......which job is going to be of most interest to you!

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2013, 12:37:16 »

Personally Pete ... Jimbob's thoughts echo mine.

Very best of luck ... whichever option you choose! ;)
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2013, 12:41:23 »

The most important thing is ......which job is going to be of most interest to you!

I'm not bothered about that Mark, just need something, well anything really so long as i'm not wiping backsides or cleaning toilets :(
Retired

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2013, 12:44:15 »

Jimbob was with me when the call for the interview came through, funny thing is I put on facebook last night that I hope jobs aren't like buses, turns out they are ;D
Retired

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2013, 12:45:01 »

From my point of view theres only one person that going to look after youself and thats you Pete, I would say go for the second interview and maybe not mention it to your current Boss, yep I know your going to have to come up with a crappy excusebut Im sure that wont be the first time.

Given the way Jobs and Job propects are at the moment, the only advice I can give is to try and do something thats partly enjoyable or rewarding rather than just having to work your nuts off to pay the bills.

End of the day only you can decide whats best and let your concious by your guide but a least going for the second interview gives another potential option up up your sleeve.

All the best with it all Pete,  ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2013, 12:46:02 »

Depends what your needs are? The first sounds like its guaranteed, but the second is only a possibility? 

Can you squeeze the interview in during lunch? Or First thing at 8AM then head to first job afterwards?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2013, 12:56:48 »

I would tell the second company that you can't make it during office hours, and you're now working, and could you meet them outside hours?

That way, you're not closing the door on them, you're showing that you're committed to the job you're doing now (which is one you've actually been offered, after all). If they are keen enough they'll talk to you outside office hours, even if it's just a phone interview at first.

Finding something else will be easier from a position of being in work, or at least having recently been in work, if the one you've been offered doesn't work out, so don't let go of that, IMHO, unless, as Mark says, one of them really floats your boat more than the other.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2013, 12:57:01 »

From my point of view theres only one person that going to look after youself and thats you Pete, I would say go for the second interview and maybe not mention it to your current Boss, yep I know your going to have to come up with a crappy excusebut Im sure that wont be the first time.

Given the way Jobs and Job propects are at the moment, the only advice I can give is to try and do something thats partly enjoyable or rewarding rather than just having to work your nuts off to pay the bills.

End of the day only you can decide whats best and let your concious by your guide but a least going for the second interview gives another potential option up up your sleeve.

There's no chance of that Chris. I've applied for well over a 100 jobs and apart from the temp job at Royal Mail at Christmas and these two jobs it's the only tug i've had. I'm either too old or i've got a crap CV which i'm just having redone now profesionally
Retired

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2013, 13:05:07 »

agreed.. no reason to refuse a chance..
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.