Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre choice for the Omega  (Read 30579 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre choice for the Omega
« Reply #165 on: 07 August 2013, 23:20:33 »

Alright, so not exactly tyre related as such because I know (as everyone doe)s that Tyres DO affect handling ability, but...........

With all this apparent expertise in vehicle handling, I cannot for one second believe anyone would remotely suggest that any Omega handles well.  ;D

OK, the MV6 is pick of the bunch, but even that is absolutely terrible in comparison to other cars in the class.

I've been on cross-channel ferries which have better handling characteristics than an Omega.  >:(

Thanks for reading,

Broomies Mate, on 4th Omega, and absolutely love them, even though they handle like shit (no matter what boots are fitted).  :)

Compared to a 960 Volvo believe me Omegas handles well, but then so would a temperamental camel or donkey with attitude compared to the Volvo.  :o :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

chrisgixer

« Reply #166 on: 07 August 2013, 23:23:19 »

Alright, so not exactly tyre related as such because I know (as everyone doe)s that Tyres DO affect handling ability, but...........

With all this apparent expertise in vehicle handling, I cannot for one second believe anyone would remotely suggest that any Omega handles well.  ;D

OK, the MV6 is pick of the bunch, but even that is absolutely terrible in comparison to other cars in the class.

I've been on cross-channel ferries which have better handling characteristics than an Omega.  >:(

Thanks for reading,

Broomies Mate, on 4th Omega, and absolutely love them, even though they handle like shit (no matter what boots are fitted).  :)

No no, think of it as the complete opposite. The most basic, fit for purpose, simple thing you might expect of a tyre. Going in a straight line. No power, sat in traffic, following the car in front at 30/20mph. No steering input other than correction. Yet the car is all over the place.

Handling is a bit misleading to be fair as it implies wangling around. No, its the complete opposite. If you rolled the car down a hill in a straight line with nobody in it, the car would vear off and crash.

Feel free to bring it round though, see if we can't improve it. :)

TB would probably disagree with you though, although I think he's noticed how much tyres affect handling. Not so much since fitting sc5, but since his beloved sport max TT where discontinued.

I suspect he was a bit spoiled with those tyres, being honest. Rock steady stability. Massive grip...etc
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 23:25:59 by chrisgixer »

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 07 August 2013, 23:23:32 »

Thanks for reading,

No no, think of it as the complete opposite. The most basic, fit for purpose, simple thing you might expect of a tyre. Going in a straight line. No power, sat in traffic, following the car in front at 30/20mph. No steering input other than correction. Yet the car is all over the place.

Handling is a bit misleading to be fair as it implies wangling around. No, its the complete opposite. If you rolled the car down a hill in a straight line with nobody in it, the car would vear off and crash.

This is something I have never experienced to be fair, and I believe mentioned earlier in the thread by Kevin? it seems inconceivable that this level of instability could be attributed to just tyres........  That said, YOU have experienced it first hand, so who am I to argue?  I'm just thankful I have never been in that position, because if I had been, I'd be very unhappy with the car and take the bus.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 07 August 2013, 23:26:24 »

Thanks for reading,

Feel free to bring it round, see if we can't improve it. :)

Obviously, I can't bring the 3 expired ones, but I'd be more than happy to let you throw spanners at the 4th and see if you can improve on the woefully terrible suspension, brakes, etc.

Without throwing thousands of pounds on a Grands worth of car, it ain't gonna happen.... and if I wanted a car which went around corners and stopped like a cat upon seeing a dog, then I'd have a Ford Focus.

I'll stick with the Omega thanks.

chrisgixer

« Reply #169 on: 07 August 2013, 23:32:08 »

Thanks for reading,

Obviously, I can't bring the 3 expired ones, but I'd be more than happy to let you throw spanners at the 4th and see if you can improve on the woefully terrible suspension, brakes, etc.

Without throwing thousands of pounds on a Grands worth of car, it ain't gonna happen.... and if I wanted a car which went around corners and stopped like a cat upon seeing a dog, then I'd have a Ford Focus.

Mmmmyeah, might have found the problem there tbh. It will involve spending money.

Fault find(free)
Replace (costs)
Setup(costs)
Fit new tyres as required.. Its worth the effort IMO.

...although IMO its a basic requirement, but that's just me. :)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 07 August 2013, 23:37:47 »

Thanks for reading,

Mmmmyeah, might have found the problem there tbh. It will involve spending money.

Fault find(free)
Replace (costs)
Setup(costs)

To be honest, the Omega doesn't 100% suit my driving style - I like to get to where I'm going before I've even left.

In a straight line, Motoways, Dual Carriageways, Nice A Roads, the Omega is a fantastic car....... anything else makes the TC light flash like a barsteward.  My Transit will cope with country lanes better!  ;D

On Topic - Currently running Michelin Primacy Pilot something or another - Only done a couple of thousand miles and so far, no real complaints.  Certainly drives straight and true.  :y

omega3000

« Reply #171 on: 07 August 2013, 23:40:48 »

For fluck sake, a tyre is a tyre ::)  :-X  ;)

Will always go around in circles, one mans "cracking" tyre, is another mans ditch finder.

;D ;D +1  8)

chrisgixer

« Reply #172 on: 07 August 2013, 23:45:27 »

Thanks for reading,

Fault find(free)
Replace (costs)
Setup(costs)

To be honest, the Omega doesn't 100% suit my driving style - I like to get to where I'm going before I've even left.

In a straight line, Motoways, Dual Carriageways, Nice A Roads, the Omega is a fantastic car....... anything else makes the TC light flash like a barsteward.  My Transit will cope with country lanes better!  ;D

On Topic - Currently running Michelin Primacy Pilot something or another - Only done a couple of thousand miles and so far, no real complaints.  Certainly drives straight and true.  :y

I spent a good while thinking..."you can't rush these bloody omegas can you" slow to turn in, slow to settle on its suspension once turned, slow to change line, slow to respond to throttle at the apex if auto, upset the suspension by applying throttle, still waiting, come oooon settle down, apply power finally...

...by which time the corner has come and gone and the event has been completely missed by the car ;D

Elites are very soft. So its not all omegas.

Firm the suspension up though, and it transforms the car.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #173 on: 07 August 2013, 23:47:38 »

one final note which I believe is essential to point out..

any omega owner who has  lowered car or using larger tyre sizes like 18 or wider wheels than the standard or different bushes
and claiming a tyre to be bad is experiencing a completely different car setup.. as anyone can guess omega's original setup cant
handle higher friction powers than its original design.. thats the cause of your tramlining issue.. as I noted on a seperate thread..

And I will close my ears to all future ifs and buts :) if you are interested please find the relevant thread and read..

good night all

chrisgixer

« Reply #174 on: 07 August 2013, 23:50:59 »

any omega owner who has  lowered car or using larger tyre sizes like 18 or wider wheels than the standard or different bushes
and claiming a tyre to be bad is experiencing a completely different car setup.. as anyone can guess omega's original setup cant
handle higher friction powers than its original design.. thats the cause of your tramlining issue.. as I noted on a seperate thread..

And I will close my ears to all future ifs and buts :) if you are interested please find the relevant thread and read..

good night all

Wrong. :)

You'll be telling us poly bushes can't be fitted with wishbones on the car next. ::)
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 23:53:33 by chrisgixer »

chrisgixer

« Reply #175 on: 07 August 2013, 23:52:14 »

And we are still awaiting your tyre experiences cem.

Although I'm beginning to doubt there is any. Tbh.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 07 August 2013, 23:52:38 »

I spent a good while thinking..."you can't rush these bloody omegas can you" slow to turn in, slow to settle on its suspension once turned, slow to change line, slow to respond to throttle at the apex if auto, upset the suspension by applying throttle, still waiting, come oooon settle down, apply power finally...

...by which time the corner has come and gone and the event has been completely missed by the car ;D

Elites are very soft. So its not all omegas.

Firm the suspension up though, and it transforms the car.

I know exactly what you mean!  ;D

I'd like to spend money on the suspension and make it a 'better' handling car, but it's a big, soft, wallowy old Hector and it does what it says on the tin.  I enjoy the car very much - else I wouldn't have bought another and another and another.

I just think it's hilarious that people suggest the Omega handles well.  Yes, I'm sure it can be made better, but it's never going to be a wizard of the B roads.

Also, I long for the day I get my hands on a nice set of PFL Elite wheels with tyres that have a decent side-wall.  These low profile 45's are not in keeping with the handling characteristics of the car.  They look good, but every speed bump feels like I'm driving a Cinquecento!  ;D
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 23:54:27 by Broomies Mate »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #177 on: 07 August 2013, 23:55:22 »

good night all

Wrong. :)

physics is an area which doesnt listen your visual demands Chris :) it has its own rules..

05omegav6

« Reply #178 on: 07 August 2013, 23:57:45 »

By the way Al you didnt tell us the test order for your Enduro!
Argh ::) Because I never read a tyre test for it...
I found a tyre within my budget that out performed the alternatives. Ergo I continued to buy it and gladly recommended it to you lot. Simples.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #179 on: 07 August 2013, 23:57:49 »

And we are still awaiting your tyre experiences cem.

Although I'm beginning to doubt there is any. Tbh.

assume I have no experience but its better than claiming an experience on a non-standard car
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.