Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel arches  (Read 780 times)

Andy663

• Ayrshire
    • 3.0 MV6 (2000)
    • View Profile
Wheel arches
« on: 29 August 2013, 12:24:46 »

I'm fixing some rust on my rear wheel arches. I've noticed there's a cloth-like tape behind the door, on the arch, which I'll need to replace. Does anyone know what type of tape this is and what it's for. I imagine it's to help stop the door rubbing against the arch?

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel arches
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2013, 00:55:51 »

Its understand it's called an protector strip, and I believe it is where the rubber seal of the door contacts. As there is usually a lot of grit on that rubber, I presume its to protect the paintwork.
VX part nos are 90511361 (RH), and 90511360 (LH).
In the past, when I have been repairing wheelarches, I have successfully removed them using a hot air gun (gently), and following the repair, reapplied them with automotive carpet spray adhesive. Just be careful they don't stretch too much when removing them. 
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2013, 03:53:44 »

Its understand it's called an protector strip, and I believe it is where the rubber seal of the door contacts. As there is usually a lot of grit on that rubber, I presume its to protect the paintwork.
VX part nos are 90511361 (RH), and 90511360 (LH).
In the past, when I have been repairing wheelarches, I have successfully removed them using a hot air gun (gently), and following the repair, reapplied them with automotive carpet spray adhesive. Just be careful they don't stretch too much when removing them.
Wot 'e sed :P not the best value new part, but readily available from VX, about £8 each last time I bought one (three years ago iirc) :-\

Andy663

• Ayrshire
    • 3.0 MV6 (2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2013, 12:27:52 »

Do you think a hair dryer would be hot enough to loosen the glue holding the strip?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.