Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Nokia  (Read 1912 times)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
RIP Nokia
« on: 03 September 2013, 06:42:28 »

Was only a matter of time, ohh how the mighty can fall!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23940171

Clearly the name will last for some time (As Erricson did too)

Rog

Re: RIP Nokia
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2013, 07:27:41 »

Indeed.

For many years I considered nothing else, and even now I still think that the 6210 and similar were great phones, I mean you only charged them once a week with heavy usage. They made calls, did text messaging, and played Snake  :y

I recently needed a new smartphone and seeing "WIndows" on the specification instantly eliminated a phone from my list. Why ? I suppose it was just the perception of some bloated unreliable software working my phone, could well be wrong, but that is my perception.

It's nice to see Nokia being "rescued" and continuing in some way, but I just don't see the new venture emerging as a world leader without some radical thinking, and I don't think that Microsoft does "radical" any more.

mantahatch

« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2013, 07:38:14 »

Indeed.

For many years I considered nothing else, and even now I still think that the 6210 and similar were great phones, I mean you only charged them once a week with heavy usage. They made calls, did text messaging, and played Snake  :y

I recently needed a new smartphone and seeing "WIndows" on the specification instantly eliminated a phone from my list. Why ? I suppose it was just the perception of some bloated unreliable software working my phone, could well be wrong, but that is my perception.

It's nice to see Nokia being "rescued" and continuing in some way, but I just don't see the new venture emerging as a world leader without some radical thinking, and I don't think that Microsoft does "radical" any more.

I have just got a windows nokia phone and to me it is great. Had a HTC wildfire before with "android" on it and I could not get on with it. Youngest still has android and loves it. Eldest has samsung galaxy s3 and swears at it all the time. Me and the wife both have Nokia windows phone and love them.
I have done more in the few montha of of a windows phone ownership than I did in 2 years of android ownership. I suppose it does depend on how "technical" you are with such things though.
Oh yes no real bloatware, and most things are very easy to uninstall. Already got rid of f***book etc. took one press and hold and 2 taps of the screen to get rid.

Just sent my missus a message about this. And message back was "still love my phone xx" That says quite a bit to me.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2013, 07:43:20 by Mantahatch »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2013, 07:59:22 »

In reality, Nokia died ten years ago...........very much in the same way that Blackberry shortly will from a handset perspective.

« Last Edit: 03 September 2013, 09:53:17 by Fuse18 »

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2013, 08:27:09 »

Amazing failure on Nokias behalf. Quite amazing. Steadfast refusal to invent an operating system of their own, incapable of marketing their products, totally unaware of market changes so couldn't possibly react.

Just spell bounding incompetence... Especially when you consider they started the whole smartphone thing in the first place, which ultimately became their downfall.

Rip Nokia  :'(

Rog

« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2013, 08:45:08 »

Amazing failure on Nokias behalf. Quite amazing. Steadfast refusal to invent an operating system of their own, incapable of marketing their products, totally unaware of market changes so couldn't possibly react.

Just spell bounding incompetence... Especially when you consider they started the whole smartphone thing in the first place, which ultimately became their downfall.

Spot on 

Spellbinding even . . . . . .  ::)

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2013, 08:48:09 »

Spot on 

Spellbinding even . . . . . .  ::)

...it is a crApple key board mind. Its the future, just ask Nokia ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2013, 11:20:52 »

I'm surprised MS jumped so early, I'm guessign their hands were tied, either someone else sniffing around, or a need to push for more attractive Windows phones. I always said they would wait for it to be worth nothing.

Nokia peeked with the 6310i. Everything that followed was half baked. Symbian was a crock, and they knew it, hence spinning it off into an open source setup, which just created more problems. Until the Lumina series, Nokia never managed to produce a useful smartphone. It was a market they felt they didn't need to be in, until they realised, way too late, they did. Then they rushed, and made a pigs ear of it, producing a raft of unfinished junk.

They were never going to be competitive in the Andriod space, so were forced down the Windows Phone route, they were out of all other options. Unfortunately, Window's (desktop) poor reputation, mostly undeserved to be honest, hurt the Windows phone market.  Shame, as MS did make the first usable Smartphones (Nokia Communicator wasn't really a smartphone, just a PIM with a built in mobile), and opened up the market, which was better explioted by Apple and Google.

It would appear that Nokia derailed due to lack of control over all the various projects that its engineering teams were working on, and with no cooperation between those teams. At one point, they were maintaining the mess that was SYmbian codebase, and 2 Linux based OSes, and the handset engineers were not really able to liase with the software teams, so everything was delivered late and unfinished.

It was inevitable, but I'm still surprised MS didn't wait.

Without doubt, RIM will follow suit by this time next year.
Grumpy old man

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2013, 11:32:23 »

Nokia have been like a rabbit in the headlights for ages. Loyal customers like me were dismayed at the total failure to recognise needs of long term users of Nokia phones and after 14 years we are now ceasing mainly because of car phone incompatability problems with Lumia. Yes it works with Parrot but not with thousands of built in car systems - hundreds of posts on Nokia forums complaining but they have done nothing and deserve to go under never mind escape with a takeover.

I have the Lumia 920 which is a great phone but cannot use it with in built VW or Insignia bluetooth car system.

They are not interested in fixing this for a huge number of ex nokia customers.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2013, 12:44:19 »

Writing has been on the wall for ages, back in my college days Nokia were always ones to have.

Is staggering how tables turned  :o

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2013, 13:02:10 »

There are only two companies with major smartphone market share and making profits: Apple and Samsung.

Nokia, Blackberry and HTC are all losing money with little prospect on the horizon of them turning this around. They can expect more competition in the future from cheap Chinese Android smartphones.

Just what Microsoft needs is another loss making division. Windows is quite rightly losing market share to tablets where it is such a clumsy, awkward and all too often flawed software to use. Last year PC sales were down 16% and this trend will continue with the vast majority of consumers just having an Apple or Android tablet as this does everything required by 90% of consumers. So this will just leave Microsoft mainly with the business market. Will Windows continue to be profitable? There real money making centre is office and if a credible, popular alternative to this appeared, Microsoft would be in trouble long term (which they probably will be anyway) as most other divisions are either loss making or make small profits, including their Xbox and gaming divisions.

Microsoft have about $70bn cash reserves, but so did Nokia which they have progressively burnt through. Mobile phones is another market where Microsoft have been so late entering that they have missed the boat as the market is saturated and margins will inevitably be eroded over time. Cheap smartphones are widely available in the Chinese market which is why even Apple has done so badly there and as the market matures there are fewer and fewer groundbreaking must have innovations, so it will inevitably become a price driven market, with familiar brands being able to charge a slight premium.

The problem with monopolies is that they produce poor overpriced products and in the end better alternatives appear and customers vote with their feet for the cheaper and better. Monopolies that are used to dictating to the market on how their products work and how much they cost find it very difficult or impossible to change their corporate ethos to be able to compete. So it is just a matter of time......
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2013, 13:07:23 »

Must admit, since having an iPad my home PC rarely gets used for general use. Only purpose now is for Plex, content download and the odd burning of a CD.

We upgraded MotherT's Laptop to Windows 8, she hated it, could not get on with it at-all. All MotherT does is basic web surfing, e-mail, word docs ect. Core basic Windows use, and it sucks for her.

She now uses an iMac and finds it far, far better!

Can only hope that patents MS now have, they can create some fantastic hardware.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2013, 13:32:38 »

On the Mobile Phone front they only have themselves to blame TBH, Most Symbian Users including SE jumped ship when it became apparent Symbian could never complete with ios or Android.

The important People (The Nokia Fan Club) lost faith, as where expecting something special to come along other than Windows and where just palmed off silly Anna and Belle updates.

Nokia where good and where good from day one with the Mobira and Solara products, but maybe they have decided the route that Ericsson take, dump the Handsets and concentrate on the real money, Global GSM and Tetra Networks where they still have a massive market share.

Shame I did like Nokia Mobiles, but having said that I was a big Ericsson fan as well. 

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2013, 14:14:03 »

Ah i knew my draw full of Nokia house bricks would increase in value sometime  ::) ;D ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2013, 15:04:29 »

Oh to have bought a lot of Nokia shares yesterday - 40% up today on yesterdays prices.. or, better still, in the middle of 2012 when shares were $1.75 and have had just about a four fold increase since!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 17 queries.