Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Insignia Auto boxes  (Read 8440 times)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Re: Insignia Auto boxes
« Reply #45 on: 20 October 2013, 17:24:25 »

Tunnie - the thread  has developed in a way that has deviated from your original mission.

If your dad is doing high miles and wants a work horse with some comfort with economy as an issue ( repairs and servicing and maybe protection against future repair costs)then go back for a second to the Auto Tourer Insignia. Get one on trial, rent one or something if you are not sure but I will remind you of the deal we got on my wife's car:

1 year old, 7000 miles, Elite 2.0 Auto diesel with almost every extra you could want (Sat Nav, leather, phone prep, USB, parking sensors all round etc). Balance of 2 years manufacturers warranty plus a further 2 years full warranty oh and 5 years interest free credit.

Cost was £16000 and trade in on 2007 Signum (80,000 miles +) was £3500 - so net £12,500.

For me the mpg and the protection against repair costs could be really important in your calculations.

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 20 October 2013, 17:46:22 »

Tunnie - remember the trade-in price when he's knackered it will be far, far, far lower than what your are currently showing for 4yr old Mercs etc. Assume all the dealers you are checking against are like the Roger Buddens of this world, looking at betwwn 30-40% markup on what they give you. Thus I don't think ETA's figures are that far off TBH.

Remember, that home servicing will also cause heavy depreciation, rightly or wrongly.

If depreciation is a factor, you need to be going with BMW or Audi etc, keeping the FdSH up. Merc aren't in the same league, as although they have a loyal following, they are not a desired car by most.

He would get the lower ppm figures, as effectively its a company car, as he gets a car allowance. To get the allowance and the higher figure would end up with a tax nightmare. As this allowance pays for the running of a suitable car, the ppm is only to cover fuel. Which it would in a 2.2 auto Omega.

Another option is to use the allowance to lease a car. That way its bought, managed and serviced, and often insured by the fleet company. And ppm covers fuel. Oviously, unless his company is very generous on the allowance, he's be in shitbox territory (Astra/Mundano/1 series etc)
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #47 on: 20 October 2013, 17:51:06 »

I hope so :-\

;D ;D ;D ;D

I thought yours was an auto  ;D

This will be a daily driver though, could be racking up miles fairly quickly. You happy with yours?

What engine have you got? I see there are a few variants of the CDTi - MPG looks impressive, you manged to get over 50mpg from yours?

2.0 Diesel, 160 Bhp.

Best I've achieved is about 49, car heavily loaded, air con on.
So the autobox really does kill the mpg, unsurprisingly?  What do you normally average, tootling about on a normal week?

Tunnie, why auto? I naturally distrust FWD autos. Additionally, an auto needs a big engine. Whiilst the 160bhp (there are a lot of 130bhp variants) version of the CDTi isn't too bad, its probably still lacking for auto use. Lastly, for a daily commuter, if there is a lot of urban work, you'll find mpg seriously suffers.

Tootling about, and I mean tootling about, 36/37, as opposed to 21/22 in the Omega.

I would imagine 50+ driving solo with the car unladen is easily achievable, but never had the opportunity to try it.

Most of my long distance driving these days involves going on holiday (Mrs AA always takes the kitchen sink), or towing the 'van.

I find the six speed auto quite smooth.

Always drive any car with the air con on, so never tried to see what I would get without it.

Aircon and auto affect it quite a bit then  :o
Since Ive had a new fuel sender fitted on my 2.0 Passat and the fuel computer is getting the right info about how much fuel i have the comp reckons im getting nearly 50mpg about town (was 40 before)  :y

BTW fuel sender part of the fuel pump, that packed up last week  ;D
Common fault apparently with them. 

05omegav6

« Reply #48 on: 20 October 2013, 18:04:39 »

Whilst on the face of it, leasing looks cost effective, beware the mileage... a headline lease of say £299pm will be plus VaT and subject to a mileage ceiling, usually 10-12k. Excess mileage is generally charged at 8ppm, so say you do 40k pa, that's 30k excess pa or £2400. If your lease allows higher mileage, then that initial monthly rental will be nearer £500+VaT.

Lease purchase is another option, but again is mileage restricted :-\

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 20 October 2013, 18:05:19 »

What's his budget. I've got to be honest, a 520d Auto will do 60+ MPG easily.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 20 October 2013, 18:15:17 »

Whilst on the face of it, leasing looks cost effective, beware the mileage... a headline lease of say £299pm will be plus VaT and subject to a mileage ceiling, usually 10-12k. Excess mileage is generally charged at 8ppm, so say you do 40k pa, that's 30k excess pa or £2400. If your lease allows higher mileage, then that initial monthly rental will be nearer £500+VaT.

Yeah, Lease options have never been valid option for him, too many miles.

Suspect around £20k maybe, have been looking at 520d's myself. Think he needs to test drive them all  :y

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 21 October 2013, 16:21:27 »

Yeah, Lease options have never been valid option for him, too many miles.

Suspect around £20k maybe, have been looking at 520d's myself. Think he needs to test drive them all  :y

I done all motorway driving for a week in a 520d Auto, constant 70 MPH most days saw over 60 MPG :y.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21 October 2013, 16:24:46 »

Cheers Del, another one to look at. Think post 2009 the 2.0 diesel engine was much improved? The issue with small timing chain at the back resolved?

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 21 October 2013, 16:26:31 »

Cheers Del, another one to look at. Think post 2009 the 2.0 diesel engine was much improved? The issue with small timing chain at the back resolved?

March 2011 onwards you want to be looking at. With roughly £20k to play with that won't be an issue :y.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 21 October 2013, 16:27:49 »

March 2011 onwards you want to be looking at. With roughly £20k to play with that won't be an issue :y.

Cheers  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 22 October 2013, 09:39:23 »

Although the diesel engine was far from 'much improved' as its still the same basic wanky design.

As I have said before, BMW don't make good four pots, only average to poor ones so if going for that marque it needs to be the bigger and much better six pot diesel

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 22 October 2013, 10:56:13 »

Thanks everyone who has responded. Seem great feedback, which is food for thought for us.

The insignia is the cheaper choice, no doubt. But it lacks appeal for him/us, not keen looks wise, interior or comfort. That said we do need to try Elite seats, DIY service here would also have less impact.

Lease options have never been good for us, his miles may change at any point. So the restriction of miles limits they have would be quite restrictive.

There has been some good news on this front, this search was triggered by a potential big jump in miles covered. Looks like its going to be way less than feared. So the Omega may yet live on!

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 22 October 2013, 11:19:04 »

Although the diesel engine was far from 'much improved' as its still the same basic wanky design.

As I have said before, BMW don't make good four pots, only average to poor ones so if going for that marque it needs to be the bigger and much better six pot diesel

As we have digressed from Insignia Auto boxes, here's my two penny's worth.

Reference Marks comment above, having had both 2.0d and 3.0d I must agree that these two engines are leagues apart in refinement. The 2.0d is very economical and pretty quick but is definitely a diesel from outside the car, whereas the 3.0d is much more refined. It is a very quiet engine and goes like stink.
Both average around 37-38mpg around town and on a motorway run the 2.0d will easily do 60mpg compared to the 3.0d's 48-50mpg. The 2.0d ain't no slouch though.  :y
None of this is relevant if the purchase price is too high though.  :-\
Got an eight speed auto 320d saloon you are welcome to have a go in Tunnie, just to trial the engine.

Depreciation wise, I have bought two Omega's when they were only nine months old so I'm not in a position to comment there.  ::) ::) ;D

......<Snip> ...If depreciation is a factor, you need to be going with BMW or Audi etc, keeping the FdSH up. Merc aren't in the same league, as although they have a loyal following, they are not a desired car by most.
Is Jamie running a temperature?  ;D ;D

Does that answer your Insignia question? ......... No, thought not.  ;D ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 22 October 2013, 16:15:49 »

The four pot diesel not only lacks refinement, its lacking in the design and longevity front to....

I actually cant think of many modern diesels which lack go these days

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 22 October 2013, 17:06:09 »

It certainly doesn't lack refinement inside the car, it's barely heard when on the move, the 6 po is smoother and more refined, but the 4 pot isn't bad at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 18 queries.