Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ign barrel  (Read 4905 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Ign barrel
« Reply #45 on: 30 October 2013, 10:53:14 »

Are you refering to the bar type assembly at the rear of the lock barrel apperture?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 30 October 2013, 11:06:17 »

That's what you're pressing with the wire/baby allen key to release the barrel.

Surely not Andy, its about 2" away from the release hole.  ??? ??? ???

Not sue then, I'd need to have another look inside a lock/barrel  :-\

There is another captive spring catch on the outer body of the barrel, but the one I referred to is about 3mm wide, and sits just inside the key collar in the inner part. It is not captive!!! and is spring loaded with a similar, very small, and easily lost :-[ :-[ :-[ size spring to the tumblers.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 30 October 2013, 11:38:00 »

Are you refering to the bar type assembly at the rear of the lock barrel apperture?

No, its just inside the collar next the key. There is another captive spring catch on the outer body of the barrel, but the one I referred to is about 3mm wide, and sits just inside the key collar in the inner part. It is not captive!!! and is spring loaded with a similar, very small, and easily lost :-[ :-[ :-[ size spring to the tumblers. :y
« Last Edit: 30 October 2013, 11:40:15 by Shackeng »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 November 2013, 11:12:34 »

This is the little latch to which I referred, as you can see it has a very small spring, and as it is not captive, can easily be lost once the internal barrel is removed.
The spring fits in the smaller section of the latch housing shown next to the key collar, and is compressed by the 'tongue' on the side of the latch. I think it would be helpful to add a comment about this to the otherwise excellent 'How-To'. :y :y :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 01 November 2013, 11:27:56 »

I now have the ignition barrel reassembled with new tumblers from http://www.nwkeys.co.uk/Portal.aspx?page=43&cat=131&prod=7389 (thanks Andy) for £1.00 each, fitted back in the car, and it now works as smooth as silk. I recommend to anyone who has a notchy ignition to carry out this precautionary servicing. :y :y :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 01 November 2013, 11:36:55 »

Incidentally, I was quite surprised how much wear on the tumblers there was compared to the new ones, possibly as much as 1.5mm on the two outers. ???

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 02 November 2013, 11:17:55 »

An unashamed bump, as I'm still puzzled as to the purpose of the aforementiond catch. :-\ :-\ :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #52 on: 02 November 2013, 12:47:06 »

Does it serve to hold the barrel into the handle :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 02 November 2013, 12:51:08 »

Does it serve to hold the barrel into the handle :-\

No Al, I should have taken a pic with it in place, the flat side of the latch faces in. I can only think it is to locate the assembly against the face of the barrel. But that still does not explain why it is spring loaded, and not a fixed lug. :-\ :-\ :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #54 on: 02 November 2013, 12:55:58 »

Does it rotate with the barrel? It's been ages since I took my glovebox lock apart, but iirc, it's a stupidly simply piece of engineering...

A damper against excessive leverage forces on the barrel, given the spike on the tail end of the barrel actually operates the latch... but starting to clutch at straws tbh :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 02 November 2013, 14:12:13 »

Does it rotate with the barrel? It's been ages since I took my glovebox lock apart, but iirc, it's a stupidly simply piece of engineering...

A damper against excessive leverage forces on the barrel, given the spike on the tail end of the barrel actually operates the latch... but starting to clutch at straws tbh :-\

It rotates with the inner section, if you look at my pic above it is effectively part of the inner section, albeit lightly spring loaded outwards. It doesn't work as a damper. The spring acts outwards from it's mounting, so it is necessary to slightly depress the catch when inserting the centre piece, which holds the tumblers, into the barrel. This is before replacing the assembly back in the car. On first glance, one would think it is designed to retain the centre (tumbler section) in place in the barrel, BUT, a) the catch slope faces the wrong way and b) there is no corresponding groove in the barrel in which it could rotate. :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #56 on: 02 November 2013, 14:30:09 »

Sorry, I got the barrels muddled :-[ that's the ignition one and not the glove box one ::)

Could it serve to trigger the rear spring? ie you pull the key, which releases that latch, allowing the barrel to pop out slightly :-\

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 02 November 2013, 14:37:59 »

I thought that bit was the part that gets depressed to release the barrel from the column? I broke one trying to refit it as the switch was in the wrong position.
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

05omegav6

« Reply #58 on: 02 November 2013, 14:40:27 »

I thought that bit was the part that gets depressed to release the barrel from the column? I broke one trying to refit it as the switch was in the wrong position.

That's a metal latch in the cylinder itself :y works against the large notch to the right of the barrel in Shackengs' pic :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 02 November 2013, 16:00:46 »

Sorry, I got the barrels muddled :-[ that's the ignition one and not the glove box one ::)

Could it serve to trigger the rear spring? ie you pull the key, which releases that latch, allowing the barrel to pop out slightly :-\

Nope, it couldn't do that, as the only pressure from the spring is radially outwards against a smooth level annular ring in the outer barrel. It must be that as the tumbler cylinder is pushed into  the barrel, the inner, flat, face of the latch comes up against the inner annular step in the barrel, and ensures that when the key is turned, the tumbler section rotates in the correct plane. So that once reassembled the whole unit is held forward in place by the catch which is released on removal, and the little devil we are discussing ensures that a) the tumbler cylinder cannot go further in, but more importantly, b) that it rotates, on turning the key, in the correct plane. However, as I said before, the only argument against this hypothesis is that the same could be achieved with a fixed lug on the barrel :-\
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.